Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

Trek Domane frame crack voids warranty: "abnormal riding"

My Trek Domane showed cracks on the down-tube around the front derailleur after six months of riding with zero crashes. The dealer and his Trek rep both looked at it and agreed that it was a valid warranty claim, with no doubts whatsoever. We sent the frame back to Trek, and Trek denied the claim saying the cracks were due to "abnormal riding". The head of warranty service at Trek told me that I had thrown the chain, evidenced by a small paint mark on the sprocket, and this was possibly what caused the cracks. He said it was not a Trek issue, but due to my "abnormal riding", which he could not define, reiterating that he was not positive that the "chain event" caused the cracks. I asked him to define normal riding, and/or abnormal riding, but got nowhere. Pretty fragile frame, I'd say, as I only weigh 150 lbs.

From this experience I presume that Trek's warranty is worthless. A thrown chain five months previous to the cracks showing up "maybe" caused a "total failure" (Trek's words) of the frame, and they would not send my frame back to me. The cost of a new frame is on me.

This is my fifteenth Trek bike including kid's and wife's bikes. It's also my last.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sturmeytrek View Post
    My Trek Domane showed cracks on the down-tube around the front derailleur after six months of riding with zero crashes. The dealer and his Trek rep both looked at it and agreed that it was a valid warranty claim, with no doubts whatsoever. We sent the frame back to Trek, and Trek denied the claim saying the cracks were due to "abnormal riding". The head of warranty service at Trek told me that I had thrown the chain, evidenced by a small paint mark on the sprocket, and this was possibly what caused the cracks. He said it was not a Trek issue, but due to my "abnormal riding", which he could not define, reiterating that he was not positive that the "chain event" caused the cracks. I asked him to define normal riding, and/or abnormal riding, but got nowhere. Pretty fragile frame, I'd say, as I only weigh 150 lbs.

From this experience I presume that Trek's warranty is worthless. A thrown chain five months previous to the cracks showing up "maybe" caused a "total failure" (Trek's words) of the frame, and they would not send my frame back to me. The cost of a new frame is on me.

This is my fifteenth Trek bike including kid's and wife's bikes. It's also my last.
    Uh, its your frame and by law they must send it back.
    I am not buying it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I guess that answers the perenial Trek question.

scott s.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    They cannot "not" send your frame back. You bought it. They just want to keep it to study it and prevent future failures like this, a large recall/class action lawsuit.

Ask for the frame back. When you take your car in to be fixed, whether they can fix it or not they don't keep it.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Suspicious that this is the OP's first post. Maybe there is something more here than meets the eye.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Uh, its your frame and by law they must send it back.
    I am not buying it.
    Me either. I've not had experience with Trek's warranty, but refusing to send your frame back or compensate you puts them in an indefensible legal position over what must be a small (to them) problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by CleavesF View Post
    They cannot "not" send your frame back. You bought it. They just want to keep it to study it and prevent future failures like this, a large recall/class action lawsuit.

Ask for the frame back. When you take your car in to be fixed, whether they can fix it or not they don't keep it.
    Trek says it is not safe to ride, and will not send it back. My dealer bought a new one for me, expecting to get a refund when the warranty went through. Trek won't refund the dealer's money, so I am expected to pay the dealer. We're both screwed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry dude, you are now obligated to fight this BS and carry on... we, the greater RBR community, want that damn frame back in your hands!

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    A thrown chain five months previous to the cracks showing up "maybe" caused a "total failure" (Trek's words) of the frame, and they would not send my frame back to me. The cost of a new frame is on me.
    So they told you about the crash replacement program... right?

Limited Warranty - Trek Bicycle
    Loyalty Program

However if a carbon part or frame experiences an impact, more expertise is required to determine its integrity than is needed for a comparable metal part.If you impact your bike and the force of the impact is absorbed by a carbon part, we strongly encourage you to replace the part, even if there is no indication of damage.We know how much you love your Trek bike and understand the burden of having to replace a non-warranty damaged bike frame or part.To help with that Trek offers our customers a Loyalty Program.This program can be used to obtain a discount on a replacement frame or component in the case of non-warranty damage.Contact your local authorized dealer for details.

RoadBikeReview Member
    post = 1

Not saying trolling....but smells funny......

I had an issue with the infamous BB in the 2008 madones. Trek replaced my frame.

I do have some paint cracks in now, but they are surface.

There seems to be more to this story. If not (it is as you say), call a higher up in the company and see what the shop can do for you.
    "The lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life apparently is zero, provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are consumed."......http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?reco...10490&page=275

Feel free to PM me nutrition questions. I will answer them if I have time.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Re: Trek Domane frame crack voids warranty: "abnormal riding"

Time to make a formal written request for return, followed by an attorney asking the same.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    It gets worse. They are charging me $700 for the frame, which I understand to be a discounted price. But they wouldn't send my dealer a red and white frame like the original, but a black and silver one. I had to replace the seatpost, seat, cables, stem, tape, and water bottle holders which were now the wrong color.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Trek says it is not safe to ride, and will not send it back. My dealer bought a new one for me, expecting to get a refund when the warranty went through. Trek won't refund the dealer's money, so I am expected to pay the dealer. We're both screwed.
    Both Felt and Cannondle have sent "not safe to ride" frames back to me, because they were mine. Certainly if you execute some agreement that says "you can keep my frame in return for X" they can keep it, but not until you agree.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    It gets worse. They are charging me $700 for the frame, which I understand to be a discounted price
    So they are pro-rating a new frame? This is different from seizing your existing frame. If you don't like the deal, decline it and tell them to send back your frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Frankly, if it's not safe, I'm not going to use it anyway. Something about screaming down Mt Diablo at 40 mph on a cracked frame does not a appeal to me.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    It gets worse. They are charging me $700 for the frame, which I understand to be a discounted price. But they wouldn't send my dealer a red and white frame like the original, but a black and silver one. I had to replace the seatpost, seat, cables, stem, tape, and water bottle holders which were now the wrong color.
    Color of the frame is irrelevant. What is relevant is you get your original frame back. It doesn't matter, it is your property. Them keeping it is the equivalent of theft.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

wrm
    Look we get your frustration. But here is the deal. The $700.00 is a discounted, heavily I might add, price so they are substituting it for yours at dealer cost. So that seems pretty equitable to me. As for the colors, well if they don't have it in the previous colors then they don't have it.

And this also explains why you aren't getting the damaged frame back.

Bill

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sadly, you've all been trolled. Myself included.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    I'm trying to look at it your way Bill, but the frame cracked for no identifiable reason. Clearly it was fragile in that spot. By the way, the replacement frame has a very different connection mechanism between the downtube and the derailleur, and it's supposed to be an identical frame. It also has a plastic piece on the sprocket to guard against chain-suck, which the first frame did not have. They made these engineering changes for a reason, so there's no doubt that they knew this was a potential problem.

Master debator.
    I've had 2 Trek frame warranties in the past, each one was examined by the dealer I did not have to send the frames in. Both were replaced with equal or newer versions of the frame, and I never had any trouble with Trek's warranty. In fact I jokingly recommend people buy Treks with the lifetime warranty "if you want a new frame every few years"
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by Data_God View Post
    Look we get your frustration. But here is the deal. The $700.00 is a discounted, heavily I might add, price so they are substituting it for yours at dealer cost. So that seems pretty equitable to me. As for the colors, well if they don't have it in the previous colors then they don't have it.

And this also explains why you aren't getting the damaged frame back.

Bill
    People get up in arms over less.

I was at the LBS one day when someone came in who just bought a Trek for a touring ride a week before...rode said tour through rain/mus/everything...came back discovered her tires were the wrong color (they were officially pink that year on that model). The LBS tried to talk the customer down explaining that the tires had gotten shot on a couple test rides, and that otherwise the bike was NOS equipment. Customer wouldn't relent and demanded their money back claiming they were defrauded into paying for the wrong bike. LBS even called Trek HQ and had Trek explain it to the customer.

Eventually the LBS refunded the money and took the bike back simply to make that customer go away.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

'brifter' is a lame word.
    There are major holes in this story. I've dealt w/ Trek warranty for years and this is complete crap. The OP is still not telling the whole story.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Data_God View Post
    The $700.00 is a discounted, heavily I might add, price so they are substituting it for yours at dealer cost.
    Without knowing the Domane model, how do you know that is a heavily discounted price?

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWC View Post
    Without knowing the Domane model, how do you know that is a heavily discounted price?
    Considering the framset-only for 2013 Domanes is currently selling for $2500-3300 retail I'd say unless the OP was riding a 5+ year old Trek...getting a new frame(set) for $700 is a discount....as for what he's getting he'd pay at least 100% more than what he is having to pay now.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah, I am telling it straight amigo. I'm as baffled as anyone, as is my dealer. Maybe I should ask the dealer for his invoices and credit receipt from Trek for the replacement frame before I pay him, which I will do as he should not be penalized for trying to help me out. But I did talk to the Trek head of warranty for a long twenty minutes, and he was anything but cooperative about it, and confirmed the warranty denial in no uncertain terms.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast