MWT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Trek Pedal Trailer or similar

Does anyone use a Trek Pedal Trailer with their kids? I have a four year old that rides his bike (with training wheels) around the driveway, but I think he'd enjoy riding on a bike path with Dad. Any advice on which model and/or set-up? Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I did some research on baby trailers and found that they were very expensive. Most were in the $300-450 dollar range. This included Burly, Schwinn, Trek, and etc. Then I found a Nordic Track retail shop and found one for $106.00!!! I looked on their website and they didn't have it listed, but they had it on display in the retail shop in Pasadena.

Oh, and also, the clamp that connects the trailer to the chainstay really scratches the bike up. I wouldn't use it on a bike with carbon chainstays.

Island Hopping cyclist
    Trek's/Gray Fisher's model is decent, but takes up 3" of seatpost for the hitch. Adams' uses a more conventional U-joint that's fine for a while, but needs replacing after about 200 or so miles. Sun is coing out with one soon, but I haven't seen it yet. Mongoose/Pacfic has one at Wal-Mart, but cavet emptor. Burley has, IMO, the best design. It attaches to a special trunk like like a fifth wheel on a truck. Burley Piccolos are around $450.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2003
    Remember...if you get a well-known brand, you can plan on getting much of your money back when you sell it a few years from now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    My daughter has over 1000 miles on her Trek Mountain Train. Started when she was 4.5, now she's 7 and we're training for our second, week long, 50 miles a day, tour. Her bike is pretty cool. It has a 24" wheel and a 7-speed drivetrain. I don't think they make that one anymore. I put a smooth rear tire on it. It helps to have a bell and a horn for the little one to honk and ring a people. Maybe a squirt gun holder. This year I installed and old cycle computor that I had, so she can keep track of time, speed and distance.

Make sure you start out with short rides. At younger ages, kids will not want to go riding just to get in miles. You have to be going somewhere. Like the park, ice cream or ice cream or maybe ice cream . Make very sure your kid stays allert. You don't want the little guy falling asleep. Play games such as I-Spy or pass back some lifesavers or something.

Also, at a young age they have trouble keeping their feet on the pedals. I was uncomfortable haveing her feet flailing about my rear wheel, so I installed some pedals with straps like what you'ld see on an exersize bike.

Have fun, but remember, your responsable for the kids saftey so take it easy. We've really had some great times with ours. So much so that we may upgrade to a tandem with a child stoker kit installed.

Good luck
    Shayne

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    i got the trek last year and my 4 year old just loves it he almost cried when i put it away for the winter. one of his favorite things was for me to pick him up from daycare on it. he thought he was the coolest. the only problem i had was going down a hill at over 30mph and he was taking his hands off the handlebars, he thought he was so cool. i am glad i spent the money. now i can take the kids and my wife can have some quiet time.

RoadBikeReview Member

Fun times...

Last edited by A4B45200; 03-31-2006 at 09:44 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005

My son enjoyed it.

He really liked it (he was 4 years old). I would take him on the unpaved neighborhood roads. The down fall is he never wanted to ride his bike with training wheels and made it hard to get him to practice without training wheels. I maybe used this 3-4 times. My daughter has not tried it yet but I will get a little more use of it with her. Overall I would not recommend, for the number of times used vs. price was not worth it for me.