RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

Trim Needed for Ultegra Compact Double

Hi,

After 4 years learning to enjoy road cycling on a Performance branded Ultegra triple, I've upgraded to a Trek Domane 5.2 with Ultegra compact double. It seems that I have to use the trim on the chain rings. For example when shifting down from the large ring to the smaller when in a larger cog (say 25 or so) I will get a little noise unitl I trim down the chain ring (move one more click). This also happens when going from small ring to large when in the smaller cogs. Is this common for a compact double or was it not adjusted properly to start?

I have less than 100 miles on it after 2 rides - I enjoy the dampening as well as the improved power transfer and fit over what I had previously.

Thanks

Master debator.
    http://www.shimano.com/media/techdoc...9830702876.pdf read through this and see if it sheds any light on the subject.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowonder View Post
    Hi,

After 4 years learning to enjoy road cycling on a Performance branded Ultegra triple, I've upgraded to a Trek Domane 5.2 with Ultegra compact double. It seems that I have to use the trim on the chain rings. For example when shifting down from the large ring to the smaller when in a larger cog (say 25 or so) I will get a little noise unitl I trim down the chain ring (move one more click). This also happens when going from small ring to large when in the smaller cogs. Is this common for a compact double or was it not adjusted properly to start?

I have less than 100 miles on it after 2 rides - I enjoy the damping as well as the improved power transfer and fit over what I had previously.

Thanks
    FTFY, 'dampening' would be turning the hose on your bike.
    The trim click might be needed in certain combinations, that's why it's there. If you need to use it, that is completely normal. If it was possible to make the drivetrain work w/o it, they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of designing it in to the system.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I'll second this, but based on nothing more scientific than my own experience. I've always attributed the little bit of noise to being on the extreme ends of the gear range. I.e., the top two and bottom two always have a little bit of noise.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else can shed more informed light than I can.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    It's normal to have to use the trim in certain combinations. It's there for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by lou_cutlass View Post
    I'll second this, but based on nothing more scientific than my own experience. I've always attributed the little bit of noise to being on the extreme ends of the gear range. I.e., the top two and bottom two always have a little bit of noise.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else can shed more informed light than I can.
    Definitely true, to the point that people bring their bikes in complaining that the chain is rubbing on the derailleur cage when it's actually just cross chained and the chain angle when it hits the chainring is making the noise. More often than not big/big is noise just because of this...not the chain actually touching the derailleur.
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the comments. If it only happened in big/big or small/small I would not have asked, It happens over a wider span of ring/cog combos than I expected. The other reason is my wife does not seem to be having the same experience with a same setup. She just may not be as sensitive to the sound though. But a half-click one way or the other does the trick. Occasionally I end up moving to the other chain ring, but I am sure I wll get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowonder View Post
    Thanks for the comments. If it only happened in big/big or small/small I would not have asked, It happens over a wider span of ring/cog combos than I expected. The other reason is my wife does not seem to be having the same experience with a same setup. She just may not be as sensitive to the sound though. But a half-click one way or the other does the trick. Occasionally I end up moving to the other chain ring, but I am sure I wll get used to it.
    It may not be perfect, no way to tell w/o actually seeing it. At least it sounds like it's close and you're getting used to using it.
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I find I have to use the trim feature more with my new 10-cog setup v. my 9-cog, and over a wider span of gear combos. It is different, busier, but I will adapt.

EDIT: Should have included - 10-cog is 2013 105 shifter and fr der; 9-cog is 2007 Tiagra shifter and fr der.
    Last edited by NJgreyhead; 07-23-2013 at 06:30 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    FTFY, 'dampening' would be turning the hose on your bike...
    "Damping" and "dampening" are actually interchangeable in this sense (I would quote the OED if I wasn't feeling so lazy today).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    From nOOky's link:
    When lever b is operated, there is one click where trimming (the noise prevention mechanism) engages, and a second stronger click when the gear shift stroke is completed. After trimming, the next push will complete the gear shift stroke.
    Just wanted to confirm that you're double-clicking to shift between chain rings. That's normal operation.