RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

Which Trunk Rack? Thule Raceway or Saris Bones RS?

Which trunk rack would you recommend -- Thule Raceway or Saris Bones RS? They are similar in that they install fast and easy, they lock and have cables rather than straps for easy adjustment. The Saris is approximately $50 more expensive. Thanks.
    Last edited by joeflorida; 05-22-2011 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Modified title to ?

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I dunno which is better. I have the Saris Bones & I like it all right. I never had a Thule so can't comment on them.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Thule Raceway 3 9002 vs Saris Bones RS3

This is the exact question I have after much research. Which did you go with and are you happy? The reviews I'm reading suggest the Saris Bones RS is lighter and causes less harm to car in terms of scratching. But it's only 1.4 lbs lighter than the Thule Raceway. I've read where if you wipe the connection points of rack and car clean each time no scratching happens and /or adding some fabric to the Thule clips takes care of that. Both seem capable of carrying three bikes and children's size. Both apparently can be left on the car while accessing the back through the hatch - although one reviewer made it clear that the Thule left on meant your head getting bashed by the hatch b/c its so heavy. i cant seem to find if Thile is all aluminum or had composite arms like the saris...maybe thats the weight difference? Also feel stuck on some reviews about saris ratchet breaking after one year...quality issue that gets replaced by saris but costs a lot in shipping it back. I feel like Thule is the brand most familiar in terms of reputation so am leaning that way especially due to this ratchet durability issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Anything that rest against the paint, no matter how soft or well padded, can scratch/scuff the paint due to road grime and grit that can get between the pads and paint. One sure way to prevent this is to stick on pieces of clear protective plastic film on the surfaces where the mount contact.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Great idea on the clear plastic - so simple and clever!

.je
    Success find: 0 items!
    Don't leave it on too long, I left it on for a few weeks, months even, and it took the clear coat off my paint.
    When you remove it, use a hair dryer. Perhaps that would have done the trick, but I doubt it would have mad any difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    I have heard fabric works great too, I'll probably get some scraps to put in place and tr that...the idea of something clear was nice but I dont need pretty.

in case anyone finds this thread and would like to know the outcome of my search, here it is...

We went to a local bike shop today that sells thule raceway and saris bones RS and they were great. We ended up with the owner (Earl's Cyclery & Fitness - Vermont's Finest Cycling & Fitness Store! Trek - Giant - Scott -Niner- Yeti - Vision Fitness) and he said they still carry the bones but stopped carrying the RS model. It's a great product he said but up against the thule raceway it just did not move off the shelf. He wasn't sure if it was thule name around here but his bike rack pro prefers the raceway to the RS...said its the other way around with the model down a step (the ones with straps not cables...the saris product is much easier for the user and so out performs the thule). So anyway, feels like we made a good buy today. They even price matched the deal going on down the road on racks. He did say that my concern over the ratchet breaking on the saris model was probably not something to worry about. He has sold many and never had anyone come back with issues like that. Felt good to go local. I highly recommend this shop...their prices online are competitive too. Glad to have this decisn behind me...bring on spring...and yes I think it may finally be on its way to this area in northern VT.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by .je View Post
    Don't leave it on too long, I left it on for a few weeks, months even, and it took the clear coat off my paint.
    When you remove it, use a hair dryer. Perhaps that would have done the trick, but I doubt it would have mad any difference.
    Was that factory paint or a repaint? Perhaps it was the type of film used. I've had it on various places on cars and motorcycles (and bikes) for years and it never damaged the paint. What it did do after removal, however, was leave a patch perfect unfaded paint which was discernible against the weathered surfaces.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.