RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Tuna Canyon (Malibu) hill bomb

For those not familiar with this hill, it's a one-way road (down) that is in Malibu and it's steep and fast. I've gone down it a few times on the road bike and it's an adrenaline rush every time

Guy in this video does it on a BMX using his shoes as brakes. That's just nuts. This dude has serious descending skill, and big cajones. Homeboy did this all the while commenting live, wow. Also, guy wore no helmet, that's another story.

Would have been nice if the Nissan GTR had a rear facing gopro to film him, and there was a trailing car to film him too. This descend deserves multiple angle shots!

(go to 9:50 mark for the descent)

Last edited by aclinjury; 1 Week Ago at 02:25 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    For what pvrpose?

RoadBikeReview Member
    That was pretty awesome! Definitely has skills.

Forever a Student

Jasper on a road bike.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by K4m1k4z3 View Post
    For what pvrpose?
    a need to feed a narcissistic compulsion?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I did the Decker descent into Westlake village last year, scared the crap out of me. Seems like it's more technical than Tuna Canyon, but I've never ridden.

Not me:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    I did the Decker descent into Westlake village last year, scared the crap out of me. Seems like it's more technical than Tuna Canyon, but I've never ridden.
    IMO, Tuna is more technical due to these reasons:
    1. turns are sharper
    2. turns are blind
    3. road is narrower, not well maintained, rocks all over the place

However, Tuna doesn't have car traffic going up, so you're spared from having to deal with that. I don't get the same adrenaline buzz when I go down Decker compared to Tuna, not to say going down Decker is a walk in the park, because it's not

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post

Jasper on a road bike.
    wonder if he's on disc brakes there? A few comments suggested he was on disc. I've only gone down on rim brakes on aluminum wheels.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    wonder if he's on disc brakes there? A few comments suggested he was on disc. I've only gone down on rim brakes on aluminum wheels.
    Being in America he's almost certainly on his Fuji SST.

Rim brakes.

Here's the previous video he did:

use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    tuna condition is **** near the bottom.. F that at those speeds
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    ive never ridden Tuna, but Iíve done Decker dozens of times. That little 18% pitch just before he passed the pickup is the only place Iíve ever biffed in the road. Thatís when I discovered I donít have ďitĒ.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    ive never ridden Tuna, but Iíve done Decker dozens of times. That little 18% pitch just before he passed the pickup is the only place Iíve ever biffed in the road. Thatís when I discovered I donít have ďitĒ.
    Lol, me neither. For me it started at about the 1:50 mark, then 2:05 with all the washout, and then the part you mentioned. Bottom 2% for me on Strava!!

Banned forever.....or not
    Pretty slow. He only maxed out at 43mph for a second. Most of the ride was 30mph or less. At that speed, you should be able to take a 90 degree turn with no brakes.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Santa Monica Mountains from Malibu to Bel Air are full of great climbs and descents. I'm too old and heavy now to even consider attacking on a descent except those mostly straight. (Anyone that's tried Latigo have an opinion on its difficulty?)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I went this a gravity race that they used to do on Tuna Canyon, they would hit 60mph, but they were pretty high tech "soapbox" racers with auto manufacturer engineers building them. The battle was between skinny tire low rolling resistance and aero vs grippy fat go kart racing slicks. The fatties won.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Being in America he's almost certainly on his Fuji SST.

Rim brakes.

Here's the previous video he did:

[
    I used to do that ride when I lived there, it can be brutal.
    I'm still a member of the same club he is in, but never met him.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    It's been a while, but I think Decker is more technical, smoother and faster, but Tuna is notorious because the drops off the side are pretty much straight down several hundred feet and there is no cell service. People have gone off and died there (in cars) and not be found for days/weeks.

Cool vid from the TOC on Decker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Pretty slow. He only maxed out at 43mph for a second. Most of the ride was 30mph or less. At that speed, you should be able to take a 90 degree turn with no brakes.
    whether if it's possible to take a 90 deg turn at 30 mph will also depend on the circumference of the arc. If it's a big enough arc, then yes. Hell if the arc is big enough, even an 180 deg turn can be taken at 30 mph. But if the arc is small, like those on Tuna Canyon, then hell no. Furthermore, overshooting a turn on Tuna Canyon just doesn't mean you run wide and it's all cool, it means you potentially hit a rock barrier or over a cliff. Pretty damn sure Jasper was thinking about his life a bit!

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Wow. Blasts from the past for me. Back when I was strong and foolish, the mid 1970's to the early 1980's, I was regularly doing Tuna, Latigo, Decker, Malibu Canyon, Roscomare, Beverly Glen, etc. etc. Sometimes with a bike club or with buddies. More often by myself. And I'm 90% certain Tuna was two-way back then. Of course, I never let it truly hang out.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.