RoadBikeReview Member

Tweak shifting performance by "partial" upgrade?

I easily can find out from my LBS when I get around to it but thought I would for fun ask a question of the forum.

Iíve recently gotten a Trek FX3 rim brake bike as a get around town errand bike. So little use and very low mileage on any given day when I use it.

The shifting isnít, (as expected) the best. Low-cost parts on a triple.

Shifters

Shimano EF65, 9 speed

Front derailleur
    Shimano Acera

Rear derailleur

Shimano Alivio T4000

Crank

Shimano Acera M371, 48/36/26 w/chainguard

Cassette

Shimano HG200, 11-34, 9 speed

Chain

KMC X9

In other words it sure isnít a Shimano 105, (my Domaneís drivetrain.)

I was wondering if I were so inclined could I upgrade the shifting quality of the FX3 by just upgrading one thing such as just the chain or the derailleur? And so on. You get the picture.

Thatís all I would like to know. Just that. Nothing else.

Thanks.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Should be posted here:
    Components, Wrenching

And no...'upgrading' a chain or a derailleur won't change anything.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    First thing to do (entirely free) is disconnect the shift cables. Pull on the cable end in your hand while shifting. Does is feel smooth? If not you have:

A gunked up or corroded cable. Your cables probably aren't stainless. If they got some moisture on them they could have some corrosion.
    Or bad cable routing.
    Or the ends of the housing weren't cut right and/or have a burr on them.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    First thing to do (entirely free) is disconnect the shift cables. Pull on the cable end in your hand while shifting. Does is feel smooth? If not you have:

A gunked up or corroded cable. Your cables probably aren't stainless. If they got some moisture on them they could have some corrosion.
    Or bad cable routing.
    Or the ends of the housing weren't cut right and/or have a burr on them.
    ^^^This.^^^

Cables are everything when it comes to quality shifting. You can have a cheap drivetrain and good quality stainless steel cables and housings and the bike will shift reasonably well. You can have the most high end drivetrain and if you have cheap or old oxidized cables and your shifting will be cr@p!

Replace your cables and housings!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Could be some other things as well and the cables could be fine.

Derailleurs out of adjustment, bent rear derailleur hanger etc.

Don't foolishly just "replace" all cables and housings.
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    If you're not using the 48t front chainring that often, you could upgrade your shifting and save a pound and a half or so of weight by going to 1x11 for about $350 including a 38T chainring from Ebay.

Shimano XT M8000 1x11 Drivetrain Groupset | Chain Reaction Cycles

RoadBikeReview Member
    To the thread: Thanks for the advice and opinion. However, in case it was not clear in the OP:

The bike is brand new. It is kept inside. It has perhaps 30 miles total per an estimated six rides.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post
    To the thread: Thanks for the advice and opinion. However, in case it was not clear in the OP:

The bike is brand new. It is kept inside. It has perhaps 30 miles total per an estimated six rides.
    Can you describe what "shifting isn't exactly the best" means? Until we know more, posts #2, #3 or #5 may still apply.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post

New bikes can, and often do, have crappy cable instalations. Check your cables. It's FREE

The Slow One.
    Cables and derailleur alignment/adjustment are my guesses for less-precise shifting. My kids' bikes all have lower-tier groupsets (8 or 9 speed) and triples, and they all shift just fine.

If you bought it new, take it back to the store you bought it from and describe clearly what you see as wrong. After an initial "break in" period, adjustments may need to be made.

If you don't know how to do this yourself, now's a good time to learn. Pick a wrench you trust and like, buy a twelve pack of their favorite beer (or a similar, pre-agreed upon bribe), and have him/her teach you how to set up derailleurs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    New bikes can, and often do, have crappy cable instalations. Check your cables. It's FREE
    Check cables Yes, Arbitrarily replace tehm, No.
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    Check cables Yes, Arbitrarily replace tehm, No.
    Agreed. But as TLG said, new bikes can have crappy cables and cable installations. If it has internal routing, it is entirely possible the cables are crossed inside the downtube and were installed that way from the factory. It happens. Ask me how I know.

Also, many bikes, especially lower end bikes come with cheaper galvanized cables. To find out if you have these cheaper cables, run your finger along one. If it leaves a residue on your fingers or feels rough, it's galvanized. Good quality stainless steel cables will not leave a residue and will feel smooth.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein