RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Ultegra 6700 alloy vs DA 7900 carbon pedals

Anyone used both?
    Notice any difference as far as feel and function goes? Any idea if they stick out exactly the same length?

I use 6700 now and might switch to the DA carbon ones.

I'm actually hoping the answer is "no, there's no difference in function".
    I really like the Ultegra ones and I'm not looking to "upgrade" per se. A friend switched to speedplay and will sell me the DA pedals for a song so I figured as long as they feel and function the same I may as well trim a few grams and have two sets of pedals I really like.

RoadBikeReview Member
    From what i read the DA carbons have a narrower Q-factor.

Energizer Bunny
    I couldn't tell the difference from feel / functionality. Other than a. +10 bling factor. They're pedals, they get beaten up !
    2012 Giant TCR Composite 1
    2008 Specialized STJ Expert Carbon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Perhaps I'm wrong but I've read a few times that the carbon pedals save weight, but give up durability in the process vs alloy pedals...

Anyone else read this?

Dr. Buzz Killington
    I wouldn't see the point in upgrading to the carbon pedals. The weight difference is minimal, so you won't see an appreciable performance gain. Additionally, pedals get scratched and beaten up very easily, so a carbon pair would seem counter-intuitive to me. The "bling" factor might be a reason you buy them, but how easily will they be seen by others anyway when you're riding? If I upgraded from alloy to carbon for the aesthetic appeal, I'd go with carbon wheels first because they'd be easily noticeable on and off the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    I wouldn't see the point in upgrading to the carbon pedals. The weight difference is minimal, so you won't see an appreciable performance gain. Additionally, pedals get scratched and beaten up very easily, so a carbon pair would seem counter-intuitive to me. The "bling" factor might be a reason you buy them, but how easily will they be seen by others anyway when you're riding? If I upgraded from alloy to carbon for the aesthetic appeal, I'd go with carbon wheels first because they'd be easily noticeable on and off the bike.
    I assume you didn't make it past the title line of my post?

Typetwelve, pedals should generally last a very very long time. I don't think these shimano carbon ones have been out long enough to know anything about their durability. I've never hear of an issue with them....but then again a pedal that's still going strong after two years (I think that's how long they've been on the market) isn't enough to say they are durable by pedal standards. Shimano is pretty good about not releasing anything that's not durable as heck though and I know they did test these things pretty well before releasing them. Time will tell though.