Ruby

Ultegra PD-6700 SL Carbon Road Pedals vs Ultegra PD6700 alloy

Shimano has come out with a carbon version of their Ultegra 6700 pedal. List price is $300 but it is being heavily discounted to $150 on just about every major online bike store vs. the alloy pedal that lists at $200 but I've seen as low as $120 but normal pricing is about $160. These obviously are not LBS prices.
    Making the switch over from spd pedals which is I've always used as a carry over from my mountain bike and onto my road bike and just trying to understand why the price discrepancy. It would seem the carbon would be the much better buy.
    Does anyone have these new Ultegra carbon pedals or have an idea if whats up them. Thanks.
    '11 Synapse 3+

Master debator.
    Same as the alloy but 60 grams lighter. Otherwise the same retention system, just a lighter, cooler version. I see them for $139.99 on Chainlove, I'd probably kick down the extra cash for the carbon version myself.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was considering buying them, but seeing the condition my alloy pedals are in, I decided pedals are not something I want to replace with carbon.
    Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes, well, he eats you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Abrasion

Quote Originally Posted by bayAreaDude View Post
    I was considering buying them, but seeing the condition my alloy pedals are in, I decided pedals are not something I want to replace with carbon.
    I would raise the same question. My alloy body pedals get pretty scuffed up from the cleats. Composite plastic just doesn't seem the right material for the application. What has everyone's experience been in this regard?

banned
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    I would raise the same question. My alloy body pedals get pretty scuffed up from the cleats. Composite plastic just doesn't seem the right material for the application. What has everyone's experience been in this regard?
    My PD6700 alloys look like crap as well. Didn't notice or care until I replaced them with MTB pedals.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I bought a set of these very pedals 3 months ago and love them, I replaced my basic Shimano SPD road pedals with them and couldnt be any happier. I have about 500 miles on mine and love them, best decision I have made other than trading in my Giant Defy 2 for a Giant TCR 1.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    I've had the Ultegra 6700 carbon pedals for about 5 months, ride ~60-100 miles a week and they look basically unscuffed to me.....no problems with wear or cosmetics.

jta
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    I have 2 sets of time iclic pedals made of a composite material and they are surprisingly durable - about 10k between the two sets and no signs wear except the normal dirt and cosmetic scuffs. I would imagine Shimano to be as bomb proof given their reputation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's VERY tempting. I've seen the same deals and thought about it.

Finer difference beyond the obvious carbon is that the Ultegra Carbon runs all metal inners (bearings and such) while the regular version still has plastic bits/bushings. Really means nothing though because I'm more than sure the regular Ultegra's will last well into the next generation of SPD-SL pedals. I had old R600's when the 6700's came out, worked perfectly even through abuse.

But if you haven't tried SPD-SL I wouldn't drop the coin just yet. Would experiment with more-than-enough 105's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    I just ordered a set of the carbon DA pedals, I will screw them on this Friday, will see how they go. Anyone know the weight difference between the normal 7800 DA pedals and the carbon jobbies?

cheers

Pete

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    I bought the carbon DA's back in June with a gift certificate I got to the local LBS. Averaged 130 - 140 miles a week over the summer & they still look / perform new. I'm very pleased with them.
    Last edited by clydeosaur; 09-11-2012 at 02:44 AM.

Bluebiker
    May 2006

z

Main/only difference is weight performance-wise. My carbons actually wear better cosmetically thatn the painted/anodized Shimano versions. The natural matte carbon finish shows fewer cosmetic marks.
    Last edited by blbike; 09-12-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: z

Fecal indicator
    I just retired my Ultegra alloy pedals that had 12-14K miles on them...replaced with carbon Looks for only $100.

only 600 miles so far, but they seem pretty durable.

I can always put the alloys back on if they don't hold up.
    eff all y'all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    My carbon ultegra's look great after about 1000km's. At fist I saw scruffy on the bottom, but they see to have disappeared.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I'll stick with alloy ones... For some applications on my bike I'd rather pay a price in weight to gain a advantage in confidence, and this apply to my pedals, stem and handlebars...

Not a climber
    I'll be going from my scuffed up 105's to the carbon 6700's as soon as I decide it's worth it to shell out the $150. Right now, my current pedals are working just fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    When I got a new SL4 early in the year I decided to go with carbon DA pedals. After 1000-2000 hard miles (SL4 is primarily used for fast group rides) they still look like and feel like new. The 105 alloy pedals I have on my old road bike are going strong as well, however they definitely show their age and are quite a bit heavier.