RoadBikeReview Member

Ultegra vs 2012 Red, weight vs performance, bang for the buck?

I'm in the process of buying a Domane 6 Project One.

I'm debating on the drivetrain, 2012 Red vs. Ultegra 6700. I'd like to keep the weight under 16 lbs (with cages, pedals etc.), which will be easy with Red (likely under 15 lbs.), and won't happen with Ultegra (it will be just over 16 lbs), Red is between 600 & 700 grams lighter than Ultegra
    I know that Ultegra will shift very smoothly, especially up front. I haven't been able to try 2012 Red, but from what I've read, it's very smooth. I have Force on my Madone, and after some initial difficulties with a defective FD, performance has been great for 5000+ miles. I know that Ultegra brakes are really good as well, and probably slightly better than Red.
    Red is $1200 more than Ultegra.
    The Ultegra is a little less conspicuous than the Red, and the style of the bike is very understated.
    I find Sram hoods a little more comfortable than Shimano.
    It's not a situation where I will buy better wheels with the $1200, the overall money is not a big factor, but bang for the buck is.

Does anyone have experiences with both groups?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    If you like the Sram hoods and bang for the buck is the goal I'd think Force (or Rival) would be the natural choice?
    Do you have to pick between the two?
    If so Ultegra is the better bang for the buck (unless you don't like the ergonomics). And that statement has nothing to do with the usual SRAM v Shimano cheerleading BS. It's just that second tier stuff is generally better bang for the buck than top end. Ultegra and Force are better bang for the buck compared to DA and Red IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member

Ultegra vs 2012 Red, weight vs performance, bang for the buck?

I have Sram Red it works great especially the 2012 front DR.
    I use Q rings they were difficult to adj w 2010 Red DR.
    I updated the DR to 2012 awesome! Easy to adjust easy to use.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I have Ultergra on my road bike and Red on my cross bike. Neither is 2012 vintage however, so I don't know what may have changed. My Ultegra shifts better and I find the hoods to be more comfortable. I don't know which is lighter, but they are probably close. And I'm not a big fan of double-tap, but I can live with it. But that being said, I like my cross bike better than my road bike reagrdless of the Red group.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Make sure to test out the new Reds, the hood shape has changed dramatically

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    I have Ultergra on my road bike and Red on my cross bike. I don't know which is lighter, but they are probably close..
    Red is considerably lighter, over 500 grams less.
    2012 Red is over 600 grams less

RoadBikeReview Member
    Extra $1200 for Red over Ultegra? Seems like the majority of the weight difference comes from having a much lighter wallet after buying the Red equipped bike.
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

Master debator.
    Truthfully, I'd probably go with Sram Force like you currently use. It's a great bang for the buck group, and I'd consider it more comparable to Ultegra than Sram Red is. It may even be a tad bit lighter than the other two groups.
    If you really are thinking of an upgrade and have considered Force, I would then choose the new Dura Ace group which is slightly more money than Red and also a bit heavier, but the little bit I've used it on a borrowed bike I loved it.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"