Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 124
  1. #51
    What the what???
    Reputation: Opus51569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,566
    Think a water-resistant tool roll with a quick release...

    I donít put anything in a jersey pocket that might need to be surgically removed in the event of a crash.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

  2. #52
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: mtrac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    925
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    I donít put anything in a jersey pocket that might need to be surgically removed in the event of a crash.
    Having once gone over the handlebars I don't carry anything harder than a tube in my pockets.

    OP, I'm not looking for something to replace my Topeak, but I wouldn't mind a hard-shell, water-resistant case. Multiple compartments and two or more doors. Should have a mount semi-permanently attached to the bike, and the case would attach to the mount so you can easily move it between bikes like a light or computer.

  3. #53
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,489
    I carry flat repair stuff in a Sticky pod in a jersey pocket. My phone goes on my bars as a bike computer.

    on the bike I only use an Apidura gas tank bag. for gels, backup battery, other food, sometimes a cafe lock inside it. I could put in a tube and levers I guess. I like being able to access it while riding. it is small and kinda aero and goes with the Ti frame. a bit pricey but a more finely crafted product than most competing products - hypalon straps so it grips the frame, waterproof zipper, rubber cable slot on top for charging

    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 12-16-2017 at 08:26 PM.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

  4. #54
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,245
    The smaller the better for me. Riding around looking like a cow udder protruding from my saddle is a no go. The Lezyne road caddy or even just a Silca strap and an old sock strapped tight to the rails. Each just enough for a tube, co2 and lever. I always put food and phone in jersey pockets. Longer rides I carry an extra tube and strap a pump to the frame or carry a super small pump in my jersey pocket.

    Good luck trying to create "one stop shop" bag. Most guys carry so much crap they have no idea how to use I'd suggest designing a range of bags.
    The randonneur needs are different from week end warrior or a novice racer etc...just make the straps wider with plenty of surface area. So many bags become useless after a short while due to the velcro losing it's grip. Annoying.

  5. #55
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    The smaller the better for me. Riding around looking like a cow udder protruding from my saddle is a no go. The Lezyne road caddy or even just a Silca strap and an old sock strapped tight to the rails. Each just enough for a tube, co2 and lever. I always put food and phone in jersey pockets. Longer rides I carry an extra tube and strap a pump to the frame or carry a super small pump in my jersey pocket.

    Good luck trying to create "one stop shop" bag. Most guys carry so much crap they have no idea how to use I'd suggest designing a range of bags.
    The randonneur needs are different from week end warrior or a novice racer etc...just make the straps wider with plenty of surface area. So many bags become useless after a short while due to the velcro losing it's grip. Annoying.
    A good summary. Why Lezyne, Topeak and others offer a 'range' of sizes, shapes and attachment schemes. No ultimate bag or even sweet spot. I own different bag sizes and shapes for different bikes. I too prefer the Velcro Lezne Micro caddy because it fits almost transparently under the saddle. I don't use it for access on my daily rides and only open it in an emergency. Smaller the better and will add lighter.
    OP, with this the target design, good luck making a bag to rival the Micro Caddy for 20 bux....or if going for a more middle of the road design with a bit more volume, beating the Topeak wedge mid size bag. Tough market bro and wish you well.

  6. #56
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,245
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    A good summary. Why Lezyne, Topeak and others offer a 'range' of sizes, shapes and attachment schemes. No ultimate bag or even sweet spot. I own different bag sizes and shapes for different bikes. I too prefer the Velcro Lezne Micro caddy because it fits almost transparently under the saddle. I don't use it for access on my daily rides and only open it in an emergency. Smaller the better and will add lighter.
    OP, with this the target design, good luck making a bag to rival the Micro Caddy for 20 bux....or if going for a more middle of the road design with a bit more volume, beating the Topeak wedge mid size bag. Tough market bro and wish you well.
    The shop I frequent carries Lezyne is all. I'm definitely not loyal to them and if a different manufacturer would have had a similar product there that day I would have purchased it. Having a bag fit tight under the rails (out of the way) and a wide strap are what I was looking for though. Lezyne fit the bill that day.

  7. #57
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    The shop I frequent carries Lezyne is all. I'm definitely not loyal to them and if a different manufacturer would have had a similar product there that day I would have purchased it. Having a bag fit tight under the rails (out of the way) and a wide strap are what I was looking for though. Lezyne fit the bill that day.
    How do you believe the Lezyne micro caddy....available in two attachment methods, could be improved upon? Latest gen micro caddy, they even improved the Velcro strap further, making it more robust and secure to saddle rails compared to previous gen.

    My background is design. I am hard pressed to determine how this bag could be improved.

  8. #58
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by survivor82 View Post
    Thank you for your feedback. Everyone has their own preferences. Hopefully our solution will be able to sway you back into the saddle bag camp.
    I think the lesson of this post is this: there are as many different desires as there are riders for this particular product. No matter what you offer, there will be somebody, somewhere that will want it.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  9. #59
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I think the lesson of this post is this: there are as many different desires as there are riders for this particular product. No matter what you offer, there will be somebody, somewhere that will want it.
    I believe you missed the point. Call this a focus group of enthusiasts.
    Point is to establish the most common group of metrics to create a product that will resonate with the larger population of cyclists. Someone somewhere, doesnít pay the rent. Business management 101.

  10. #60
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,282
    Too old to ride plastic

  11. #61
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,245
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    How do you believe the Lezyne micro caddy....available in two attachment methods, could be improved upon? Latest gen micro caddy, they even improved the Velcro strap further, making it more robust and secure to saddle rails compared to previous gen.

    My background is design. I am hard pressed to determine how this bag could be improved.
    I use the "Road Caddy" not the micro. So I can't answer your questions...

  12. #62
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    How do you believe the Lezyne micro caddy....available in two attachment methods, could be improved upon? Latest gen micro caddy, they even improved the Velcro strap further, making it more robust and secure to saddle rails compared to previous gen.

    My background is design. I am hard pressed to determine how this bag could be improved.
    I have the latest gen Lezyne micro caddy sitting in front of me right now, literally It is definitely one of my favorite saddle bags
    Having said that, our design is equally compact, and perhaps a little bit more flexible on storage aspect.

  13. #63
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,244
    saddle bags are like helmet mirrors.

  14. #64
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,078
    i use a carradice zipped roll. it allows me to grab lunch, a few groceries, or spare bike parts pretty easily.



    i move it between bikes. here it is on my '80 trek 414.



    i have another, tiny saddle bag, but have no reason to use it.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  15. #65
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by survivor82 View Post
    I have the latest gen Lezyne micro caddy sitting in front of me right now, literally It is definitely one of my favorite saddle bags
    Having said that, our design is equally compact, and perhaps a little bit more flexible on storage aspect.
    Cool. Can you explain how your design maybe more flexible on storage?

  16. #66
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Cool. Can you explain how your design maybe more flexible on storage?
    It is as compact as the micro caddy when it is in compact form, with equal storage capability as micro caddy. But it also offers storage expansion capability which allows it to expand and support more storage if needed.

  17. #67
    your god hates me
    Reputation: Bob Ross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,456
    Quote Originally Posted by survivor82 View Post
    Just trying to understand the expectation of water proofing performance of saddle bag. Does it need to be water resistant or water proof? By water resistant I mean your tools will stay dry when you ride in raining days and perhaps occasional heavy down pour. Water proof means you can throw the saddle bag into the river, it remains submerged for extended period of time and your tools still remain dry. We definitely designed our solution to be water resistant but there are challenges for water proofing the solution.
    Thread drift: For some reason this reminded me of the old Volkswagen Beetle ads that showed a bug floating in a river...and then at the bottom of the page in super-fine print it said "While the Beetle will definitely float, it will not float indefinitely."

    But yeah, I suspect if the bag is reasonably and legitimately water-resistant, it does not have to be 100% waterproof. (And in fairness, the bag I just got -- an Arkel -- seems to me that it can't really be 100% waterproof, despite its claims. But it's orders of magnitude more water-resistant than most other saddle bags. Certainly moreso than the POS Lezyne of mine that it replaced.)

  18. #68
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,282
    Too old to ride plastic

  19. #69
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    29
    These are really nice bags but they may not appeal to cyclists that would want their saddle bags to be non-obtrusive, non-visible and as compact as they can.

  20. #70
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Thread drift: For some reason this reminded me of the old Volkswagen Beetle ads that showed a bug floating in a river...and then at the bottom of the page in super-fine print it said "While the Beetle will definitely float, it will not float indefinitely."

    But yeah, I suspect if the bag is reasonably and legitimately water-resistant, it does not have to be 100% waterproof. (And in fairness, the bag I just got -- an Arkel -- seems to me that it can't really be 100% waterproof, despite its claims. But it's orders of magnitude more water-resistant than most other saddle bags. Certainly moreso than the POS Lezyne of mine that it replaced.)
    I think water resistant solution is important as we may be riding in the rain. But water proofing is probably over-kill, I assumed no one would be riding across the river submerged (why someone want to do that is beyond me ) or trying to submerge their saddle bag in the water.

  21. #71
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: burkhad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3
    I want my saddle bag to be just big enough to hold my essentials:
    2 Tubes (lightweight)
    2 CO2s
    2 Tire Levers
    Small multi-tool w/chain break
    1 Master Link
    However, my newest bike is running larger wheels and the tubes that fit are larger in size so my old bag can only fit 1 tube + a patch kit now. Possibly think about designing and marketing bag based on the content capacity, i.e. Holds 2 19-25 cm tubes vs Holds 2 28-35 cm tubes. This could be a differentiator between you and the "big guys"

  22. #72
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by burkhad View Post
    I want my saddle bag to be just big enough to hold my essentials:
    2 Tubes (lightweight)
    2 CO2s
    2 Tire Levers
    Small multi-tool w/chain break
    1 Master Link
    However, my newest bike is running larger wheels and the tubes that fit are larger in size so my old bag can only fit 1 tube + a patch kit now. Possibly think about designing and marketing bag based on the content capacity, i.e. Holds 2 19-25 cm tubes vs Holds 2 28-35 cm tubes. This could be a differentiator between you and the "big guys"
    Thank you for your inputs. We do have storage flexibility incorporated in our design so the user can decide how much storage they need. Having said that, we have not try it out with the larger tube yet. We will put that in our checklist.

  23. #73
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,244
    this thread is getting monotonous.

  24. #74
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kjdhawkhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    this thread is getting monotonous.
    Have you ever seen an exciting saddle bag? There just isnít that much to write about.

    But more power to the guy. Mini-marketing campaign right here. Bump. I hope he comes back after producing a few and posts some pictures so we can all confirm our preconceived thoughts about his design, saddle bags in general and disc vs rim, Trek vs Spec, carbon vs steel, donkeys v elephants etc.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The internet is a little like a bar, a wonderful place where we can bullsh(t our past, but it also, is full of reasonably reliable sources of information to be used as ammo to call "bullish)t."

  25. #75
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: burkhad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3

    Brooks Saddle Bag

    Quote Originally Posted by kjdhawkhill View Post
    Have you ever seen an exciting saddle bag? There just isnít that much to write about.

    But more power to the guy. Mini-marketing campaign right here. Bump. I hope he comes back after producing a few and posts some pictures so we can all confirm our preconceived thoughts about his design, saddle bags in general and disc vs rim, Trek vs Spec, carbon vs steel, donkeys v elephants etc.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The ultimate saddle bag-iphone-2016-09-06-015.jpg
    I was excited about my matching Brooks saddle and saddle bag. Looks like a mini attache case for cycling.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Top tube bag vs. Under saddle bag
    By pittcanna in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 07-24-2015, 07:40 AM
  2. Topeak Saddle Bag and Aliante saddle
    By boneman in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2010, 08:48 PM
  3. large saddle bag vs seat post rack/bag - need advice.
    By jtelli71 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-15-2010, 08:10 PM
  4. Front Rack/Bag vs. Saddle Bag/Support
    By empty_set in forum Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-28-2009, 01:52 PM
  5. Ultimate Pro Elite stand vs. Ultimate Ultralight
    By BB500 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 06:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •