Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by survivor82 View Post
    ...provide the "wow factor" ...
    Good luck with that. The next time I say "wow" in a positive way about a saddle bag will be the first.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Good luck with that. The next time I say "wow" in a positive way about a saddle bag will be the first.
    If you’re not a saddle bag user, you’re not in the target market, so big whoop. However, if you are and you’ve never said “wow” a out the bag you’re using, I think that’s kind of sad. All the bits I put on my bike wow me in some way. They don’t have to be (and rarely are) the absolute best, but I pick my parts for the fact they’re outstanding for some reason, like “wow, that’s a smart design,” “wow, that’s got awesome machining,” “wow, what a killer value,” “wow, that looks sharp,” and so on. If you’re not buying on “wow”, are you buying on “meh, good enough”?
    One of the coolest, most amazing things about cycling is that I still love doing it today as much as I did when I was a kid!

banned
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for your valuable inputs. We benchmarked off several saddle bags. We have several innovative designs in our product so there are a few things that you will first see on our product that haven't been done on a saddle bag before. Hopefully that will provide the "wow factor" plus the improvements. Our latest prototype is in work and we are super excited to see how it turns out.
    I know you have heard/read a lot of stuff in the thread so far.

Let me just say that I will not buy a saddle bag that has Velcro around the seat tube.

I like something small that attaches securely and does not flop around. At the same time I prefer something that can be easily removed for races -- I don't want to have to spend too much time threading a plastic buckle through the saddle rails.

Right now I use a keg in place of a waterbottle. It holds everything I need and is really, really simple. So if you can get something as easy and simple as this solution while allowing me to carry two bottles, I would be all for it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Local Hero View Post
    I know you have heard/read a lot of stuff in the thread so far.

Let me just say that I will not buy a saddle bag that has Velcro around the seat tube.

I like something small that attaches securely and does not flop around. At the same time I prefer something that can be easily removed for races -- I don't want to have to spend too much time threading a plastic buckle through the saddle rails.

Right now I use a keg in place of a waterbottle. It holds everything I need and is really, really simple. So if you can get something as easy and simple as this solution while allowing me to carry two bottles, I would be all for it.
    Our solution doesn't have Velcro, so that's good
    Our solution can be easily removed as well, so that's good too
    Hopefully you will like what we are coming up with. Latest revision of prototype is coming in soon. We will keep you posted

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
    If you’re not a saddle bag user, you’re not in the target market, so big whoop. However, if you are and you’ve never said “wow” a out the bag you’re using, I think that’s kind of sad. All the bits I put on my bike wow me in some way.
    I use a saddle bag. It's black. It holds stuff. I haven't thought about it since I started using it many years ago, because it works. Keeps stuff in, opens and closes, doesn't touch my legs, doesn't move when riding, etc. If you are wowed by your saddle bag, or a shiny bolt that holds your bottle cage on, or anything else bike related...good for you. Enjoy that feeling to the fullest. I'm not saying you are wrong for doing so.

Also, if you take my comment as being more about marketing hype language used by the OP, and less about wanting good things for bikes, you will be closer to the point I was making.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    I use a saddle bag. It's black. It holds stuff. I haven't thought about it since I started using it many years ago, because it works. Keeps stuff in, opens and closes, doesn't touch my legs, doesn't move when riding, etc.
    Saddle bag is not a fancy thing. It is a functioning piece of stuff on your bike which works for your expectation. It is good enough to do its job. So why bother? If it ain't broken, why fix it right?

How many things have changed since just couple years ago? Your phone? The way you shop? The way you access the internet? The way you read the news? The way you commute? We won't have light bulb today if Edison thought fire/oil lamp was good enough for lighting. GE thought conventional incandescent light bulb was not good enough thus we have compact fluorescent light. Someone thought that was not good enough thus we have LED light. When Apple first came up with iPad, people said they were nuts, there was no niche market between a smart phone and a laptop. There just not enough market to support it. Well, you know the rest of the story. Nokia was once the biggest phone maker in the world, where are they now? Before Nest, who would have think you need a smart thermostat at your home? Some still don't. The conventional thermostat change temperature and control your A/C just fine. It is doing its job, so why change?

I am not saying we are comparable to Edison, Nest or Apple. I am just saying we believe in the philosophy of even the simplest thing can be done better and we are trying to do that to the saddle bag. There are people that are happily using the oil lamp and there are people that think there CAN be something better than the oil lamp. It is the later that makes the world progress. Just my 2cents
    Last edited by survivor82; 01-15-2018 at 11:55 AM.

gazing from the shadows
    I am not saying we are comparable to Edison, Nest or Apple.
    Yet those are the examples you chose to use. Standard marketing, put something attractive next to your product. Get those positive associations activated! So thanks for confirming my point.

I'm not saying your bag will be bad, average, or great. But I will say that the most hyped movies, with months of hype, tend to suck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Yet those are the examples you chose to use. Standard marketing, put something attractive next to your product. Get those positive associations activated! So thanks for confirming my point.

I'm not saying your bag will be bad, average, or great. But I will say that the most hyped movies, with months of hype, tend to suck.
    Thank you for your candid feedback. While I am not sure what to do with the marketing piece (not sure what products come without some sort of marketing?), we hope we have a final product to prove doubters wrong. If you eventually like our product then great. If you don't then let us know what to improve instead of just saying it suck.

gazing from the shadows
    Thank you for your candid feedback. While I am not sure what to do with the marketing piece (not sure what products come without some sort of marketing?), we hope we have a final product to prove doubters wrong. If you eventually like our product then great. If you don't then let us know what to improve instead of just saying it suck.
    I gave feedback to you early in this thread about what I thought would be a good feature. As have many others. Use it, or don't.

I don't mind marketing, I am skeptical of multiple uses of marketing buzz terms. Overmarketing goes hand in hand with inferior products, ime.

And I have been very restrained, given you created an account here, seemingly, ONLY to hype your product. I see no posts in other forums. Post some stuff not related to your product. If you are a cyclist, that should not be too hard to do, right? You ask for help from this community, why don't you give something back.... that won't require buying your product?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    I gave feedback to you early in this thread about what I thought would be a good feature. As have many others. Use it, or don't.

I don't mind marketing, I am skeptical of multiple uses of marketing buzz terms. Overmarketing goes hand in hand with inferior products, ime.

And I have been very restrained, given you created an account here, seemingly, ONLY to hype your product. I see no posts in other forums. Post some stuff not related to your product. If you are a cyclist, that should not be too hard to do, right? You ask for help from this community, why don't you give something back.... that won't require buying your product?
    Thank you again for your feedback. That's fair. My bad for too focusing on getting feedback from this community and working on the prototype that I haven't had the chance to give back. You will hear more from me on stuff not related to my product.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    make a seat that is also a saddlebag, where you can't even see it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thank you again for your feedback. That's fair. My bad for too focusing on getting feedback from this community and working on the prototype that I haven't had the chance to give back. You will hear more from me on stuff not related to my product.
    Nah, you can stay in this one thread until you’ve proven you have an actual product. With glossy Kickstarter pics and videos. As the forums say, “pics or it didn’t happen.” Otherwise, you’ll probably just start typing about saddlebags in the disc brake forums.

You’ve driven this whole thread with immediate responses of platitude and thanks, but, I’m beginning to suspect that you don’t have a sewing machine, a shred of fabric, 3D printer or a single prototype.
    The internet is a little like a bar, a wonderful place where we can bullsh(t our past, but it also, is full of reasonably reliable sources of information to be used as ammo to call "bullish)t."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kjdhawkhill View Post
    You’ve driven this whole thread with immediate responses of platitude and thanks, but, I’m beginning to suspect that you don’t have a sewing machine, a shred of fabric, 3D printer or a single prototype.
    You have every reason to suspect this as I have not shared any pictures or details about our design. This is on the advise of our patent attorney. As several of our designs are in the patent filing process, we need to be sensitive about disclosing it publicly. Having said that, once the patent filing process is done I can start share more information with you all, hopefully within the next couple of weeks. Our goal is to launch the Kickstarter campaign by 1Q2018.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    This could transform cycling as we know it, kudos!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Saddle bags are for 'tards. Jersey pockets is all you need less you're touring.
    Jesus H. Sufferin' Christ! It isn't that complicated people...

exactly how much room does a innertube, C02 Inflator, Tire Lever and $10 bill in a sandwich bag in your jersey pocket take up? If I'm not on group ride and out solo in the boonies I'll add and extra tube and C02 and use a Camrat Strap from Back County Research under the saddle and my cell phone in my jersey.

Backcountry Research

What the f*ck expedition equipment do you need to take on a simple bike ride that you can't fit in one jersey pocket?

Seriously...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WRM4865 View Post
    Jesus H. Sufferin' Christ! It isn't that complicated people...

exactly how much room does a innertube, C02 Inflator, Tire Lever and $10 bill in a sandwich bag in your jersey pocket take up? If I'm not on group ride and out solo in the boonies I'll add and extra tube and C02 and use a Camrat Strap from Back County Research under the saddle and my cell phone in my jersey.

Backcountry Research

What the f*ck expedition equipment do you need to take on a simple bike ride that you can't fit in one jersey pocket?

Seriously...
    SO... using a saddle bag is no good, it all goes in 1 pocket...unless you carry more then using a strap under the saddle is cool. Most jerseys seem to have 3 pockets why can't it all go in the jersey pockets?

For me I prefer to have as little in my pockets as possible, sometimes you just have to suck it up, food, jacket etc, but on my body, less is better, normally just my phone and a slim wallet. Saddle bag has 2 tubes, and levers and a multitool, stays on the bike at all times, I just forget about it till I need something from it. I'm sure it's dorky, but I'm beyond caring about that sort of stuff.
    Last edited by mik_git; 01-17-2018 at 08:42 PM.
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    SO... using a saddle bag is no good, it all goes in 1 pocket...unless you carry more then using a strap under the saddle is cool. Most jerseys seem to have 3 pockets why can't it all go in the jersey pockets?
    After decades of riding I guess that I've figured out what works for myself and realized that on a two hour 40 mile ride one doesn't need to carry much. If I venture out further than 60 or 70 miles I'll bring along an extra tube as extra insurance, however I don't want the extra accouterments to disturb the clean lines of my Assos jerseys.

Therefore the minimalist backcounty research strap comes in handy keeping everything nice compact and tidy hidden up under the saddle. If you feel that you must bring along some type of multi-tool Specialized has this bottle cage and multi-tool set up that looks stealth and sleek.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ri...=220619-132216

Don't get all butt-hurt over my opinion of saddle bags do whatever makes YOU happy, just understand that others can't figure out what you could possibly need to carry on a bike ride that would justify having a sherpa sack hanging off the back of your saddle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    After decades of riding I guess that I've figured out what works for myself and realized that on a two hour 40 mile ride one doesn't need to carry much. If I venture out further than 60 or 70 miles I'll bring along an extra tube as extra insurance, however I don't want the extra accouterments to disturb the clean lines of my Assos jerseys.

Therefore the minimalist backcounty research strap comes in handy keeping everything nice compact and tidy hidden up under the saddle. If you feel that you must bring along some type of multi-tool Specialized has this bottle cage and multi-tool set up that looks stealth and sleek.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ri...=220619-132216

Don't get all butt-hurt over my opinion of saddle bags do whatever makes YOU happy, just understand that others can't figure out what you could possibly need to carry on a bike ride that would justify having a sherpa sack hanging off the back of your saddle.
    I too loathe saddlebags.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Dude your'e the one with the bold, the italics, the exclamation marks and the swearing that people might ride with a saddle bag... it doesn't bother me if people want to fill up pockets or bags, it bothers me when people seem to think that whats suits them should suit others and seem to have an issue when they don't
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    it bothers me when people seem to think that whats suits them should suit others and seem to have an issue when they don't
    Just a reminder... in case you have forgotten the rules.

• Rule #29//No European Posterior Man-Satchels.

Saddle bags have no place on a road bike, and are only acceptable on mountain bikes in extreme cases.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    The rules be damned, also have a frame pump, valve caps and I dont shave my legs...i'm rule breaker and living on the edge
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just a reminder... in case you have forgotten the rules.

• Rule #29//No European Posterior Man-Satchels.

Saddle bags have no place on a road bike, and are only acceptable on mountain bikes in extreme cases.
    The "rules". That's a laugh, Frank Strack doesn't even visit that site any more.
    Too old to ride plastic

xxl
    The Ultimate Saddle Bag (comes with integral panniers and a pump!) can be had from Hermes ($4,275):

https://www.hermes.com/us/en/product...p-H3000017v63/

For those whose tastes are a little more fashion-forward than the elegant if understated Hermes line, Chanel offers this, as part of its bicycle (no word on whether the bag is available separately--with bike, it's $17,000):

Go ahead, say it about a saddlebag: Wow.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    The Ultimate Saddle Bag (comes with integral panniers and a pump!) can be had from Hermes ($4,275):

https://www.hermes.com/us/en/product...p-H3000017v63/

For those whose tastes are a little more fashion-forward than the elegant if understated Hermes line, Chanel offers this, as part of its bicycle (no word on whether the bag is available separately--with bike, it's $17,000):

Go ahead, say it about a saddlebag: Wow.
    My “wow” is how long for how long this thread continues to cause giggles. Oh, and those prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The internet is a little like a bar, a wonderful place where we can bullsh(t our past, but it also, is full of reasonably reliable sources of information to be used as ammo to call "bullish)t."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    You have every reason to suspect this as I have not shared any pictures or details about our design. This is on the advise of our patent attorney. As several of our designs are in the patent filing process, we need to be sensitive about disclosing it publicly. Having said that, once the patent filing process is done I can start share more information with you all, hopefully within the next couple of weeks. Our goal is to launch the Kickstarter campaign by 1Q2018.
    @survivor82: is this thread dead, or are you still up and running with your prototype development?

I hope things go as planned for you guys

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast