Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

The ultimate saddle bag

27K views 137 replies 44 participants last post by  survivor82 
#1 ·
Several close friends and I have been working on a bicycle saddle bag prototype and would like to get some inputs and feedback from fellow cyclists here. We want to make sure we are on the right path to help address the issues that current saddle bags have.

As avid cyclists ourselves, we often time have our dilemmas when it comes to saddle bag. Practical or aesthetic? Size or storage? At one hand we want the saddle bag practicality of carrying around the essentials items like spare tubes and multitools during our rides. On the other hand we want to keep the clean aesthetic of our bike. In the case where the practical sense won the first dilemma, we typically still need to trade off between storage space or utterly bulky saddle bag. Even the ones least concern with aesthetic would shake their heads staring at the brick like saddle bag hanging below the bicycle saddle. Majority of the saddle bags in the market today are boxy and black, which doesn’t help to promote the saddle bag’s stylish or aesthetic aspect.

What do you guys look for when choosing a saddle bag? What is in your wish list of the ultimate saddle bag? If you are not a saddle bag user today, what is holding you back and what will make you switch camp?

Would you be interested if there is a saddle bag that can do the following?
1. Compact enough to carry most of your essential items. Think 2 spare tubes, 2 tire levers, 2 CO2 canisters, Multitools with chain tool, patch kit, all these in a compact form factor.
2. Stylish enough to not ruin your bike aesthetic, this can be quite subjective and personal but assume it meets your styling requirement.
3. Quick attach and release. Much faster than dealing with Velcro.
4. Abundant styling/color choices.

We love to hear your inputs and hopefully we will be able to create something that all the cyclists want to use. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
ditched the saddle bag long ago...

use two ziploks in jersey pockets...one has two tubes in it, the other holds tools, money, ID, etc.

no clunky under-saddle bag, clear plastic makes it easy to locate items, and they're dirt cheap.

probably not what you were wanting to hear, but it's what works for me.

#4 ·
Most prefer to have the bike support the weight of incidentals. I sure wouldn't want that weight in my jersey pocket unless an emergency + cell phone + keys.

OP, you have a pretty good list of metrics you prefer. Start with Topeak but you may end up with something very different.
Aesthetics, function, size = personal preference.

#3 ·
Been a saddle bag user since forever, currently use a lenyze med/small, not sure that is really good, it's maybe a little small, but then it fit well uner the saddle withut geting in the way. Takes a decent multi tool (i use topeak hexas II) in a separate pocked underneath, then 2 tubes (road) and I think 2 levers (not sure a bout those, been a while since I used anything in there and multi tool had levers)...
Things I think a bag needs,
-needs to be secure, not fall off, but also not sway around a lot.
-gotta take 2 tubes
-the shape, most seem to taper so they fit...something, but then you cant fit stuff actually inside them
-reflective
-something to attach a light to, lots have a loop, but if you attach a light to it, its just all floppy
-weather proof, not have to be totally waterproof, just a bit
-never used them, but I'm thinking compartments for C02 would be handy
-I don't really need a QR as the bag stay on the bike except for washing

-also, make a decent mtb one that work with a dropper post.

#9 ·
When we are designing our product we did make sure secure attachment is a must. Reflective is a good suggestion and we will see how we can incorporate that into our design. We did think about the light attachment and currently working on a solution that would be able to secure the light without it being floppy. Thank you very much for your inputs.

#6 · (Edited)
1: seems like we’re about to get Kickstarter pitched, but without any glossy pics.

2:Eh, not gonna lie, I won’t order yours on the interwebs over any of the major brands in this department.
Because: 2b etc
We’re basically talking about a durable dingleberry... job 1- carry what I think I need, job 2, stay attached to the bike, job 3, when some semi-pro poser tells me I’m wrong for having it, don’t fail on 1 and 2. Waterproof is overrated.... good tools won’t rust after a rainy ride or three and tubes will break down either way.

I have 1 saddle bag per bike, and only 1 isn’t from a “Major” manufacturer. It happened to be in the right shop at the right time [and fit the aesthetic of that frame well]. I don’t give a flying **** about quick detach.. 1 bag per bike, no reason to detach on recreational rides... three velcro straps probably work better than what you’ll come up with at that price point.

Commute/transport rides means I’m carrying a larger bag of some sort and can put the dingleberry in the pannier or backpack.

Good luck breaking into that niche market, but I just don’t see the room on the practical side... go with aesthetics to match a color scheme and you might have a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Thank you for your feedback. Major brand used to be tiny brand when they get started. Hopefully we will have something to win you over eventually. With that said, there is no one size fits all. Everyone will have their preferences. Our goal has always been creating a product that we will use it ourselves.

#10 ·
1. Compact enough to carry most of your essential items.
- 2 tubes; 1 tire lever; 1 pva; 1 chain quick link; 1 tire boot; 2 CO2; 1 small thread on CO2 inflation thing; small allen set w/chain tool or separate chain tool; patch kit without patch kit box.

2. Stylish enough to not ruin your bike aesthetic
- Small; smaller in width than saddle; narrow enough that my legs never hit it; and absolutely no swinging ball sack

- No. IME slower to detach means stays on for years; quick and easy detach means self detaching.

- Yes, any color as long as it is black.

#11 ·
For #3, quick and easy detach doesn't necessary means self detaching. We have been testing our attachment system and it is pretty solid. We will share more details once the design has been finalized but the initial prototyping test is very promising.

Looks like black is still the preferred color of many. Maybe black it is then.

#13 ·
1. I like color on my bikes but the saddle bag needs to be black. Its not really a feature I'd want to draw attention to. Just there to be practical.
2. Hold all of the essentials so you aren't stranded 50 miles from home.
3. I like the quick detach idea. Will be convenient for putting my bike in the work stand.
4. A real selling point for me would be having a specific and secure place for each piece. Individual pouches or elastic straps for CO2, multi tool, tire levers, one shift cable, etc. to have their own place without them just floating around loose and falling out when I open my saddle bag. Tubes can just take the vacant space in the middle. With that being said a tight fit is good. As long as everything fits even if it means needing specific tubes and tools to fit within the compact space.
5. A clip for keys is pretty critical. I probably wouldn't buy a saddle bag without one.

As long as it holds everything I need when **** goes wrong I'll be happy but I'm all for improvements to keep it more organized!

#14 ·
I'd like something that is not designed by committee, and that is not described with corporate marketing speak.

But, since a good product will serve cyclists, consider this. A quick release is a good idea, though there are others out there that do that. However, people seem to think about that in terms of other things being done with the bike like putting it in a work stand, not actually using the bag when riding the bike. So think about a tri fold wallet. Imagine a bag that when you have to access it, you snap off the bike and flip open. Everything in the bag is secured, and easy to see. You can lay it on the ground for working, or just hold it in your hand. When done with a tube change, or getting money, or whatever, flip it closed and clip on and go.

This would give your design an advantage over most bags in terms of ACCESS to everything stored. That single word tells the world what they get with your bag compared to the eleventy other brands out there.

This is not a new idea, most nothing is a new idea in cycling. But done right, marketed right, it could be the small type of product differentiation that makes it worth buying for enough riders to be commercially viable.

At which point the big companies will swoop in and undercut you, so you better be ready for that.

Good luck, you'll need it.

#15 · (Edited)
1) The road basics (two C02s, one inflator, one small patch kit, one tire tool, one set of fix-it sticks, one tube, one slim inside pocket for cash, copy of DL, insurance card, handi-wipe.
2) Exterior pocket for keys, suggest on top of the bag. (can you believe how big they are?
3) Velcro works great, no clips please
4) Waterproof soft expandable material.
5) Black
6) Narrow nose and tapered like a normal seat, slimmer than seat.
7) Attachment strap/loop for light

I leave the stuff in the bag and only open the bag to store my keys, a PITA. A small exterior pocket is a great idea.

#17 ·
For #3, maybe I am biased but our clip design works great too. Maybe once we finalized the design we can win you over from the Velcro camp :)

I have seen request for keys holder several times and we will take it into consideration when we finalized our design. Thanks for the great inputs.

#19 · (Edited)
Your challenge is...your list of metrics will end up limiting your market and demand. So I posit, you are starting with a false premise. There is no ultimate bag because bag requirements vary specific to each rider.

For example, I don't want a bag as you describe for my road bike. Maybe for a touring bike. I may flat every couple of months or so and only time I need access. Keys and phone go in my jersey. I want minimalism, smallest size, lowest weight and Velcro attachment which allows the bag to be more integrated under saddle. In summary, I want the most innocuous bag to hold 2 inflators, a tube, a couple of levers, a couple of wrenches. If I need anything else, I get if from my riding buddies, or from a stranger on the road....or I call somebody with a castostrophic failure.

So, one size doesn't fit all and basically you are starting in the middle, something closer to what I may use for touring if not carrying my panniers.

You likely know you are penetrating a highly competitive market with big players that make pretty amazing product and moreover BIG diversity because they know instinctively one size doesn't fit all. Even the Lezyne Micro Caddy Small Saddle Bag comes with either a quick release or....Velcro attachment...I opt for the more minimalistic Velcrow as the bag is hardly noticeable on the bike and lightest weight possible which my objective....highest ratio of transparency to function. My bag will also fit snuggly in a bottle cage.

As a Shark Tank investor ;-) you better bring game if you wanna compete in these waters and best of luck to you wading into this very deep pond.

#21 ·
I totally agree that there is no one size fits all situation with saddle bag. Perhaps a saddle bag that is compact enough with sufficient storage space for majority cyclist population and adaptable enough for most needs could hopefully be the "ultimate" saddle bag, albeit it may still not fulfill the needs of some.

From my testing experience with our earlier prototypes, I have to say our product meets most if not all of your requirements above. But perhaps it is best for you to be the judge when we finally have it ready. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the great inputs.

#43 ·
Jersey pockets are for my lip balm, food and phone. Under-the-saddle bags are for the flat repair kit...

I use an old Jandd tubular tire bag. It is large enough to hold a patch kit, tire levers, two tubes, CO2 inflator and mini pump (Murphy rules my life so if I have only CO2 I will have more flats than cartridges - same with tubes). I like the tire sock because it is narrow so my thighs don't touch it and it stays in place without swaying.

On long rides and in bad weather I use an Arkel Randonneur rack with a trunk bag (so as to carry extra raingear or incidentals), so a bag that has a semi-permanent clip attached to the rails is a non-starter for me. Solidly made velcro straps are just fine.

#22 ·
I pack what I need in my jersey pockets. What I pack in my saddle bag is stuff I reach for if I have a second flat. I like the Lezyne Micro Caddy Seat Bag. It's just the right size to squeeze in a spare tube, slots for a co2 cartridge and tire irons, a glueless tire patch kit, a couple of spare connecters for chains, a Park tire boot and a spoke wrench. It has one wide velcro strap and cinches tight to your seat post. I'm not too fond of velcro straps as I have lost a few of them on rides when the velcro gets old and looses it's grip. I like a snap on type on strap or a combination of velcro and a clip on. I replace my M caddy about every year so I don't have to worry about the velcro wearing out. There must be a sea of seat bags out there, what anyone needs probably already exists...

#23 ·
My biggest complaint about saddle bags I've owned in the past is that the attachment mechanism fails. Either it was a strap that was poorly stitched to the bag (both the strap that attaches to the seat rails, and the strap that wraps around the seatpost), or the plastic clip that attaches to the seat rails broke. Also zippers that broke or froze up. So whatever you come up with, make it robust. Ease of removal / attachment is nice for those of us with multiple bikes - just be sure it doesn't require any tools. Also, design the bag so that it attaches securely, i.e. it doesn't sway back and forth under the seat.

#24 ·
Not sure who needs tire leverS? Usually you don't need any but on rare occasions 1 will do. I like clips but the problem I've encountered with them at times is that they don't fit every saddle rail. For that reason velcro may be a safer bet. Plus it's easier to move from bike to bike. Black, of course.

#26 ·
Several close friends and I have been working on a bicycle saddle bag prototype and would like to get some inputs and feedback from fellow cyclists here. We want to make sure we are on the right path to help address the issues that current saddle bags have.

As avid cyclists ourselves, we often time have our dilemmas when it comes to saddle bag. Practical or aesthetic? Size or storage? At one hand we want the saddle bag practicality of carrying around the essentials items like spare tubes and multitools during our rides. On the other hand we want to keep the clean aesthetic of our bike. In the case where the practical sense won the first dilemma, we typically still need to trade off between storage space or utterly bulky saddle bag. Even the ones least concern with aesthetic would shake their heads staring at the brick like saddle bag hanging below the bicycle saddle. Majority of the saddle bags in the market today are boxy and black, which doesn’t help to promote the saddle bag’s stylish or aesthetic aspect.

What do you guys look for when choosing a saddle bag? What is in your wish list of the ultimate saddle bag? If you are not a saddle bag user today, what is holding you back and what will make you switch camp?

Would you be interested if there is a saddle bag that can do the following?
1. Compact enough to carry most of your essential items. Think 2 spare tubes, 2 tire levers, 2 CO2 canisters, Multitools with chain tool, patch kit, all these in a compact form factor.
2. Stylish enough to not ruin your bike aesthetic, this can be quite subjective and personal but assume it meets your styling requirement.

We love to hear your inputs and hopefully we will be able to create something that all the cyclists want to use. Thanks!
A saddle bag big enough to hold all of that....isn't "compact".

The Topeak wedge I have on my roadie is what I'd call "compact", and it will barely hold (to bursting) 2x 700x23C tubes by themselves.

#28 ·
No velcro, please:thumbsup:. After ruining a pair of bibs, I cut all the velcro from my saddle bags.

Another thing, the weight of the bag shouldn't put strain on the closure (zipper). I've had horizontal zippers fail in the past (attached to mountain bike with heavier load), so the vertical closure zipper of the Topeak Aero Wedge makes sense. http://https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Aero-Wedge-QuickClick-Pack/dp/B003UWI16K, with the front velcro cut off. It also has reflector and a strap for attaching light.

The essential for me is to be able to fit the cell phone (galaxy S7 style), I do not want phone in my jersey. I can just fit phone, airstik pump, a spare tube, car key and a couple of allen keys in the topeak medium, but it does have a few unsightly bulges.

Intrigued by the new Topeak line on their website, saw this when looking for a link to the old aero wedge. Wonder if anyone has used this...

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/saddle-bags/686-dynawedge

#29 ·
The essential for me is to be able to fit the cell phone (galaxy S7 style), I do not want phone in my jersey. I can just fit phone, airstik pump, a spare tube, car key and a couple of allen keys in the topeak medium, but it does have a few unsightly bulges.

Intrigued by the new Topeak line on their website, saw this when looking for a link to the old aero wedge. Wonder if anyone has used this...

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/saddle-bags/686-dynawedge
That's the problem. If you want a huge cell phone to fit in the bag, the bag will be huge. I have no interest in a big bag. But, you do. One bag can't do both.

WRT the Topeak: The velcro strap thing that doesn't wrap all the way around the bag will fail.

#31 ·
I either use a separate gear/tool pouch the shape/size of a jersey pocket, or a saddlebag with a quick-disconnect (Fizik). i like to be able to have the pouch/bag off the bike when working on the bike. Holding the bike up - especially if a wheel is off - while digging through the saddlebag is a (first world) pain in the ass.

#32 ·
You are in the right track for sure.
Styling does matter because people not worried about style will be purely price point shopping and get the cheapest Nashbar saddle suitcase they can find.

I’d add no Velcro strap to the seat post as a requirement. Tight and not wobbly. Waterproof would be very nice too. I love my Silca but if you made a similar one that is waterproof....

#40 ·

That what I carry except I have an pump on my down tube. No CO2.

Ok good.

I have a bag for each bike and don’t want to attach something to attach the bag to. Velcro works great for saddle rails but NOT for attaching to seat post. That needs to be an elastic cord or something similar.

That may be a good selling point.

PS - I’m not sure why people who don’t use a seat bag would reply to this thread. That’s your choice and I respect that, but my saddle bags aren’t “clunky” and my jersey pockets remain available for food, warmers I take off during the ride, my phone, cycling wallet, etc. That’s MY personal choice and why I replied to add input on an item I actually use.

#41 ·
I have 3 different bikes that I do most of my riding on, and each has a different bag, to go with the different uses of each bike.

Bike #1; Long-distance everyday road bike: Sometimes I need to carry my wallet, as well as the usual spare and my phone, my cleat covers, and possibly a place to keep an extra layer. For this, a handlebar bag on a solid mount does the job. Bike has a second bottle mount, where I can keep a comprehensive zip-open tool kit.

Bike #2; Classic/retro road bike: An expandable under-saddle bag, so if I need to carry extra stuff, it will open up enough to just barely cover it. Also, easy to remove when I want to go 'minimal', and just mount a spare tubular clip on it.

Bike #3; my rail-trail bike (old touring frame with 38mm tires): On this bike, a small top-tube bag behind the stem holds a spare tube and my cleat covers. Tool kit goes on a bottle cage, wallet in my pockets.

#44 ·
I gave all my saddle bags away and now use the water bottle cage to carry a storage container.

much easier to access.

if i need more water i'll carry a bottle or three in my jersey pocket.

#45 ·
I have to say that to me this makes no sense. A bottle in your pocket will warm up faster than on the bike and the shape isn't all that comfortable back there. It is one thing for a domestique to carry bottles like like to their teammates, but something else entirely to carry one all day in your jersey pocket.

#52 ·
I don’t put anything in a jersey pocket that might need to be surgically removed in the event of a crash.
Having once gone over the handlebars I don't carry anything harder than a tube in my pockets.

OP, I'm not looking for something to replace my Topeak, but I wouldn't mind a hard-shell, water-resistant case. Multiple compartments and two or more doors. Should have a mount semi-permanently attached to the bike, and the case would attach to the mount so you can easily move it between bikes like a light or computer.

#53 · (Edited)
I carry flat repair stuff in a Sticky pod in a jersey pocket. My phone goes on my bars as a bike computer.

on the bike I only use an Apidura gas tank bag. for gels, backup battery, other food, sometimes a cafe lock inside it. I could put in a tube and levers I guess. I like being able to access it while riding. it is small and kinda aero and goes with the Ti frame. a bit pricey but a more finely crafted product than most competing products - hypalon straps so it grips the frame, waterproof zipper, rubber cable slot on top for charging

#54 ·
The smaller the better for me. Riding around looking like a cow udder protruding from my saddle is a no go. The Lezyne road caddy or even just a Silca strap and an old sock strapped tight to the rails. Each just enough for a tube, co2 and lever. I always put food and phone in jersey pockets. Longer rides I carry an extra tube and strap a pump to the frame or carry a super small pump in my jersey pocket.

Good luck trying to create "one stop shop" bag. Most guys carry so much crap they have no idea how to use I'd suggest designing a range of bags.
The randonneur needs are different from week end warrior or a novice racer etc...just make the straps wider with plenty of surface area. So many bags become useless after a short while due to the velcro losing it's grip. Annoying.

#55 ·
A good summary. Why Lezyne, Topeak and others offer a 'range' of sizes, shapes and attachment schemes. No ultimate bag or even sweet spot. I own different bag sizes and shapes for different bikes. I too prefer the Velcro Lezne Micro caddy because it fits almost transparently under the saddle. I don't use it for access on my daily rides and only open it in an emergency. Smaller the better and will add lighter.
OP, with this the target design, good luck making a bag to rival the Micro Caddy for 20 bux....or if going for a more middle of the road design with a bit more volume, beating the Topeak wedge mid size bag. Tough market bro and wish you well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.