Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: doah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    72

    vasectomy... how long before I can ride?

    Just wondering... I'm about to take the plunge and get a vasectomy. One thing I can't seem to get an answer on is how long before I will be able to ride again? Anyone have first hand experience with this?

  2. #2
    Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    Reputation: CleavesF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,248
    dude, that procedure isn't gonna take more than 10 mins. Ride the same day!
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: smbrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    223
    yeah the procedure took 10 minutes but there wont be any activity for a couple weeks. I had one done recently and for the most part you are fine, not much pain. However, any movement from the boys down below and you feel like you have been wracked!. I was back at the gym in about a week but couldnt really run or ride for 2 weeks. You will have to wear an athletic supporter for a bit to help when you excercise. Doc will tell you that after a week do what you can tolerate. You wont be out long though.

  4. #4
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    36,729
    even if it's a week or two it's worth the price of admission.............
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: blakcloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    866
    What you are going to get besides the asinine remarks of a few, is lot of variance. I happen to have the vasectomy from hell and I was one week just to walk, two weeks before I could stop taking pain medications and months before I was truly recovered. Yet other people I know went in on Friday and were back to normal by Monday. It just depends on how well your health is and how well your body recovers. Hopefully you will be a quick healer and it will be over before you know it.

    And for all my trouble, well lets just say I am as fertile today as I was before the vasectomy and there is no way I would go through that again. But like I say some people have much better luck and are better before you know it.

  6. #6
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    36,729
    Quote Originally Posted by blakcloud
    What you are going to get besides the asinine remarks of a few, is lot of variance. I happen to have the vasectomy from hell and I was one week just to walk, two weeks before I could stop taking pain medications and months before I was truly recovered. Yet other people I know went in on Friday and were back to normal by Monday. It just depends on how well your health is and how well your body recovers. Hopefully you will be a quick healer and it will be over before you know it.

    And for all my trouble, well lets just say I am as fertile today as I was before the vasectomy and there is no way I would go through that again. But like I say some people have much better luck and are better before you know it.
    well that pretty much sucks.......sorry to hear that.......mine was simple and problem free....
    4 kids was enough
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by doah
    One thing I can't seem to get an answer on is how long before I will be able to ride again? Anyone have first hand experience with this?
    I would have thought that would be a question you would best ask medical professional about..and not teh louwenge (of sorts)
    yer askin for it..
    Last edited by M__E; 01-10-2009 at 01:42 PM.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: doah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    72
    Thanks for the responses so far.
    I did ask the doc and he said that he really had never been asked that before (cycling) and said recovery (normal day to day stuff) varied from person to person.
    I'm more interested in personal experience... more curious than anything.

    CleavesF, I'm thinking of riding my road bike to the appointment and home after... shouldn't be a problem huh?

  9. #9
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    36,729
    Quote Originally Posted by doah
    Thanks for the responses so far.
    I did ask the doc and he said that he really had never been asked that before (cycling) and said recovery (normal day to day stuff) varied from person to person.
    I'm more interested in personal experience... more curious than anything.

    CleavesF, I'm thinking of riding my road bike to the appointment and home after... shouldn't be a problem huh?
    DO NOT RIDE HOME.................

    I repeat

    DO NOT RIDE HOME..................

    M__E....you don't have a lot of posts here...not sure where youhave been since 2006 but are you aware how many medical professionals hang out in the lounge? (they gotta amuse themselves somehow)
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: doah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    DO NOT RIDE HOME.................

    I repeat

    DO NOT RIDE HOME..................

    M__E....you don't have a lot of posts here...not sure where youhave been since 2006 but are you aware how many medical professionals hang out in the lounge? (they gotta amuse themselves somehow)
    Just joking.
    For the record I'm an RN and work as a first assistant. I've done hundreds of vasectomies, but really don't see the "after" part of the procedure. I've also never known anyone who was into cycling when they underwent the procedure so I thought someone here could give me first hand info.
    BTW... I'm a health care professional and I hang out here.

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    307

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    M__E....you don't have a lot of posts here...not sure where youhave been since 2006 but are you aware how many medical professionals hang out in the lounge? (they gotta amuse themselves somehow)
    you give me beef! look at the guy above me <50 posts since 05'

  12. #12
    Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    Reputation: CleavesF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,248
    In any case, how well the procedure works... and your recovery as stated previously is completely a toss up.

    If you feel good, ride. If not, don't. Some people are just better on working on the gonads. Cross your fingers.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

  13. #13
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    36,729
    I'm stickin' with DON'T RIDE HOME
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

  14. #14
    waterproof*
    Reputation: Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    40,849
    ahem.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BrianN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    122
    In my experience;

    Three weeks for unencumbered.......off road riding.

    Go easy. After effects include a dull ache exacerbated by riding. Not any real pain, just discomfort. Don't want to jeopradize the intent of the surgery do we? Granted, four ti staples and a cattle prod type burn make for some pretty good odds, but hey, those boys are dedicated!

    What's that smell? Oh, god, it's me...

    -B

    P.S. My Urologist would not do the surgery unless I had someone to drive me home.
    What the hell do I know?

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: upstateSC-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    732
    Had it done on a Friday, fast group ride on Tuesday, slight discomfort only.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

  17. #17
    Large Suburban Male
    Reputation: murbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,434
    Quote Originally Posted by doah
    Just wondering... I'm about to take the plunge and get a vasectomy. One thing I can't seem to get an answer on is how long before I will be able to ride again? Anyone have first hand experience with this?
    I had mine done about 6 years ago, and if I remember correctly, the rule was no action (sex, working out, lifting, etc) for at least two weeks, and then take it VERY easy, kind of testing things.

    The biggest problem I had was keeping my kids (4 and 2 at the time) from jumping on me. I will never forget the terror of them coming home from day care on the day of the procedure, seeing Daddy on the couch, and both of them running at me, looking for hugs. I think I knocked the boy child across the room.

    Mine went very well, no side issues, and I was comfortable back in the saddle after 3 weeks, although I started light.

    We didn't have secks until after my 2nd or 3rd test to see if the swimmers were swimming or not.

    Ultimately, mine was worth it. My wife and I seem to be very fertile - everytime we decided to have a kid, she was pregnant within a month. We're happy with two, so we got it done.
    “The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.”
    William Gibson

  18. #18
    Reality Star
    Reputation: Don Duende's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    949
    What are you planning on riding? Redheads, blonds or brunettes?

  19. #19
    gh1
    gh1 is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    958
    Take the two weeks and dont rush it no matter how good you feel in a couple of days. If you rush it, it can go bad and trust me you wont enjoy it.

  20. #20
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    22,534
    It depends on how much you can take pain.
    When I had mine, I had it done on a Friday. On Sunday, I got talked into being a spotter on a ski boat. After 15 minutes, I was sitting on two boat cushions. When we got back, two hours later, I was a little green, but I finished the job.
    Did I mention that the boat ride was rather bumpy.

    This is the perfect time to have it done. At most, you'll miss a week of training, before you can start to get your feet wet again.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    55
    I got a vasectomy at the end of this past October. Got it done on a Friday and was back at work on Monday with some mild discomfort. By Wednesday most of the discomfort was gone. The Doc said to wait 2 weeks before cycling, and that worked out just right. FWIW one of my coworkers had one on the same day and he had discomfort for a few more days after I was recovered, but he was still able to start riding again 2 weeks after the procedure.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    236
    Mine wasn't very uncomfortable at all. I think I was pretty active within about ten days...

    And my wife's OB/GYN strongly recommended the two-beer cure: She said to get two cold beers. Put one between my legs, and drink the other. Repeat as needed.

    Worked great.

  23. #23
    eRacer
    Reputation: jmlapoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,554
    2-Weeks if all goes smoothly, and the intermittent ice bag for the first couple of days is a good idea.
    John Lapoint / San Diego
    God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestar_shawn
    I got a vasectomy at the end of this past October. Got it done on a Friday and was back at work on Monday with some mild discomfort. By Wednesday most of the discomfort was gone. The Doc said to wait 2 weeks before cycling, and that worked out just right. FWIW one of my coworkers had one on the same day and he had discomfort for a few more days after I was recovered, but he was still able to start riding again 2 weeks after the procedure.
    I had the no scalpel version done Feb. of last year. My experience was pretty much exactly what you described: done on a Friday, back at work on Monday and back on the bike in two weeks.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: doah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    72
    Seems like two weeks is the average. Now if I can get past the idea of "sharp objects should NEVER be in that area" I'll be fine.
    Thanks to everyone for the input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Hot Deals

Contest

Tour De France

Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook