Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Are the Velominati "Rules" for Posers to quote?

14K views 126 replies 52 participants last post by  Rokh Hard 
#1 ·
Went on a group ride yesterday. One guy was giving another guy a hard time for wearing a mountain bike helmet, mountain bike shoes, a T-shirt and a dirty bike. He kept quoting what he called the "Rules". I looked this up after the ride to see what he was talking about.

The guy with the dirty bike and mountain bike helmet was nice though. He kept waiting up for the other guy at the top of climbs, so they could ride together. :)

#127 ·
The rules are the rules.
you are correct. Obey the Rules.

Unless you prove you can break the rules while riding faster than everyone else.
unacceptable. nowhere in the Rules does it allow his.

the Rules are the Rules. they are simple and uncomplicated. there is no thought required on your behalf. they do not require your wisdom or interpretation.

Obey the Rules.

#6 ·
Rule #1 should be.

Make sure you are faster, stronger, and more fit than the other rider, before giving advise about his faux pas. Otherwise you will be relegated to the back of the pack for the rest of the ride (or month)

#10 ·
I love the mtb guy smoked the poser on the climbs.

When I first started riding road in 2010 (from mtb racing), I did Livestrong out in Austin. I did the 90 miler. I was hangin with my buddy at the start until the split. Then I went to it. I passed a girl on a TT bike with fancy Zipp wheels. I had my $900 Cannondale Six 6 with 9 speeds and a triple. She mutter off as I pass her "freakin mountain bikers".

A bit later, I start from a rest with these guys in this team kit. They were all cocky as was talking to them. In the pace line, a few commented up to the guy doing the pull to keep up the pace. I kind of thought they were slow. I did 3 min pull into a head wind and we came up on a hill, I just said "thanks" and waved as I just went blasted up that hill.

they may not have been fast, but they sure looked good in their kit that matched their bikes.

#18 ·
There must be a rule about mountain bikers hammering past roadies in team kits on 10,000 dollar bikes even though said roadie is in zone 2 just knocking out base miles. I think the rule is , If it's not an actual real race, passing anyone, anytime on anything means nothing.

#25 ·
The only rule I follow is to not ride with Freds that quote the "rules." It's one thing to point out "hey, that's a mountain bike helmet, get with it." It's quite another to actually give a damn. I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he was only attempting to be humorous and is not in fact a giant douche.

Skewer positioning is by far the most important rule.

#14 ·
The "rules" started as satire. But then some people actually took them seriously, which I find either hilarious or disturbing depending on the situation.

Either way, quoting the "rules" at another rider is a douchebag move. I personally think it's cool when some rider with "inappropriate" bike or kit is doing well. We had one of those on the racing club rides a couple years ago- a young Indian guy with a super cheap bike. He wasn't keeping up with the fast guys but he wasn't the slowest either. And he didn't give up after the big climbs. No one would talk to him at the regroups so I made a point of doing so. He's since bought a nice race bike and gotten much faster, though I can still out climb him.

#33 ·
Of course, purposefully taking out an old heavy bike to
show up people on nice carbon race bikes is also a form
of posturing, feeling superior to other riders. Basically
anyone who is interested in interacting with other riders
is playing some sort of game, regardless of how carefully
couched in layers of subtlety. And on it goes. And on.....

#34 ·
In my experience back to cycling, one of the nicest and most helpful cyclists I know, who also is one of the fastest, has one of the most expensive bikes I've ever seen on a ride. On the other end of the scale, one guy on a ride, was riding an old 80's, down tube shifter bike, old clothing and seemed to be able to stay up with the lead group. He was also a very courteous guy. I think my personal takeaway is I'm going to try to not judge other riders by their "stuff" in either direction - super nice, or not so nice. If they invest time and effort to ride well, are courteous to others and have joy from cycling, all those things seem much more important than their bicycle or their gear.

#43 ·
Old gimmick website is old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.