Darling of The Lounge

Unhappy A Very Sad Ending for Volagi Frames

While surfing for bike stuff on eBay, I stumbled upon this:

30x chopped in half Volagi carbon fiber bikes frames repair scrap robots parts | eBay

What a somber demise for all those Volagi carbon framesets. I wonder if these were on hand stock destroyed when the company shuttered its doors after the co-owner, Robert Choi, was seriously injured last September. Robert still has a long road to recovery ahead of him.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    According to Barley Forsman, those were all warranty/rejects.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1623...c_ref=NEWSFEED

Quote Originally Posted by Barley Forsman
    Wow, on so many levels... none of these frames should be on the road, ever! These frames were ALL warrantee issues, many of them never made it past the internal QC process at Volagi. I can assure you this is NOT connected to the Volagi business in any way - I am not sure who acquired them, or even how they were acquired. These were not intended to ever be sold - steer clear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I didn't even know Volagi shut it's operations,let alone Robert Choi's incident. So sorry about this,I was rooting for them to land in Europe sometimes,too bad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    I didn't even know Volagi shut it's operations,let alone Robert Choi's incident. So sorry about this,I was rooting for them to land in Europe sometimes,too bad.

Nothing official has been announced, but it seems like their website is mostly non-functional at this point.

Robert was making a nice recovery, but had a recent relapse that put him back in the hospital.

I'm not sure what the plans are for the company, short, or long term.

I'm still hoping that Robert makes a full recovery and they can put things back together.

I'm the proud owner of titanium Viaje, and it's a really great bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    What's a "Volagi"?

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tabl10s View Post
    What's a "Volagi"?
    Volagi is a small manufacturer of disc brake road bikes in steel, titanium or carbon which was started in Cotati, California (just south of Santa Rosa) and moved to Utah a few years ago. Their frames are renowned for offering a smooth, soft ride.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I had one a few years back. A great experience for me. Solid, smooth endurance ride that could take on multiple roles. I wish Robert and the company the best!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Robert is a really nice guy too. I met him while I was supporting a friend at the HooDoo 500 ultra-endurance race a couple of years ago. Very unassuming, pleasant, and gracious man. I hope he makes a full recovery and that the company carries on.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Bugger. I know about Robert's accident and his recovery (and lapses), but I wasn't aware that the company seems to have shut down.
    I've had a Liscio since March 2013 and it's still going strong. Was wondering when they would release a new model, but thought anything would be slowed down whilst Robert recovered.
    Great people and dealt with Susan a few times.

Hope Robert recovers and they get back into business !!

Neophyte
    A couple FB updates from Volagi from a few weeks ago, seems like they are fighting the good fight and may not be gone forever.

Volagi
    June 27 at 8:42pm
    Good evening Volagi family! I am writing to update our last post regarding discounted orders. Some good news and some bad news. The bad news is a scheduling conflict came up for Robert; he will not be in the office until late on July 1st which means orders won't be going out as soon as we hoped. The first orders will probably be going out on July 3rd.
    The good news is we have extended the deadline to July 2nd to confirm and pay for orders with Robert to receive a discount. We are offering various types of orders from parts, wheels, just frames and full builds. We are also working to get a NEW website up and running.
    Please reach out to Robert at Robertschoi@gmail.com to inquire about orders and discounts. Thank you!

Volagi
    June 17
    Update time! Robert is continuing his recovery but he will be at Volagi headquarters in Phoenix at the end of this month to take care of some business. We are running a discount on orders confirmed and paid for with him prior to June 27th. He and Nicole will be assembling orders to ship out approximately July 1st. We will use this revenue to get the website back up and continue operations.
    Email Robert at robertschoi@gmail.com to discuss models, sizes and discounts available. Thank you for your continued patience and patronage while Robert completes his recovery!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Great to hear, thanks for the update. Couldn't see it when I had a look at the page, then again, I'm not a facebook person.

Would love to get a new frame, but money is tight, then again, the current one still doing well !!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I really hope Robert is able to get the business back up and running.

I have a Ti Viaje, and absolutely love it. If Volagi were to release a 12mm thru axle version of this bike, I would happily upgrade in a heartbeat. My other bikes are all thru-axles, and I've been kind of spoiled by them. Getting the rear wheel off and on the Viaje can be an adventure sometimes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Just thought Id add a bit of info.

Ive had a Liscio for about 4 1/2 years and done some great rides including two weeks in Italy & France, but on a recent trip about to head to Queensland for a week before Xmas, discovered the seat tube had a crack near the internal brace above the FD mount. Bugger !!! At least I knew the source of the creak now.

Contacted Robert via his gmail account and got a quick reply with essentially an offer to send a F&F as a warranty repair at cost price. I received the frame just before Xmas, so they are still around, but the lack of communication overall is a shame.

Robert wrote that he is even planning a double Everest attempt later this year, so his health must be improving.

Hope Volagi can still continue somehow

Cheers

Michael