RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Vittoria Zaffiro Trainer Tire - Should I Bother?

Hello:

I searched for this subject, but did not have any luck. If this is a repeat, I apologize.

I am new to cycling, and plan on using a Blackburn Mag 3 I picked up from CL this winter for indoor training. I will be using my mountain bike, as I have not been able to procure a road bike as of yet.

My main question is: Should I bother with a trainer specific tire? The Vittoria Zaffiro gets mixed reviews on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Vittoria-Zaffi...=INBNODL6YSEPE), but has a good price point. Much more so than the Conti trainer tire's price. Would I be better off just using cheap tires? I am not sure how many people end up going through in a winter, or how noisy my current semi-slicks would be. I am going to try to get up to 40 miles/day.

Any input appreciated, especially on the Vittoria Zaffiro. Thanks!

Not a rocket surgeon.
    I ride rollers so my opinion really dosent count. Just get some cheep tire and you will be fine.

waterproof*
    I have a trainer-specific wheel and I put my worn out rear tires on it.
    * not actually a Rock Star

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    I have a trainer-specific wheel and I put my worn out rear tires on it.
    That works too. I usually cut them before that are way worn out though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    For as much as a good tire costs and how fast a trainer will wear a tire, anything under $50 for either will save you money. Oh, and don't forget they are quieter.

I have used both Conti and Vittoria. I liked the Conti a little better as it was easier to get on. Although, I only had to do it 2 times. Yeah, I got a flat on my trainer.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I bought a big heavy cheap tire from walmart and use it. You might be able to get a slick or something without mt. tread on it from there. I didn't really care about the weight of the tire because it is only for use on the trainer, even though I have had it on the road when the weather breaks enough for a ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I've used both old tires and the Vittoria trainer tire. Either works, but the trainer-specific tires are quieter and less messy (if, like my husband, you're one who actually shreds tires on the trainer).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you for all of the input. I am still unsure which way to go, but have a lot more to think about.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bradlyaolson View Post
    Thank you for all of the input. I am still unsure which way to go, but have a lot more to think about.
    I take it from your posts you are looking for a tire to put on your MTB in order to ride the trainer until you get a road bike. Whatever part of the tire contacts the roller needs to be slick. (grooves running perpendicular to the roller are okay) I bought a cheap tire that did the trick. You should be able to find something in the $15 range.

Once you get your road bike, you can use tires that you feel are too worn for the road. I have yet to see a "need" to buy a trainer specific tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have used old tires, new cheap tires, Conti Trainer, and the Vittoria Trainer. The road tires tend to shred and leave a mess and are noisier than the trainer tires. The Conti was good and lasted quite a while. I now have the Vittoria and it seems to be lasting longer than the Conti did. Also, the Vittoria seems to be a little tacky and stick to the shaft better with less slippage. The tire does get hot which is what kills the tube after a while so I keep a spare ready since patching the tube is futile. A patch may last only a day or so since the rubber in the tube has been fried.
    Jim Purdy - Mansfield, TX

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    I have used old tires, new cheap tires, Conti Trainer, and the Vittoria Trainer. The road tires tend to shred and leave a mess and are noisier than the trainer tires. The Conti was good and lasted quite a while. I now have the Vittoria and it seems to be lasting longer than the Conti did. Also, the Vittoria seems to be a little tacky and stick to the shaft better with less slippage. The tire does get hot which is what kills the tube after a while so I keep a spare ready since patching the tube is futile. A patch may last only a day or so since the rubber in the tube has been fried.
    Thanks, I appreciate the first hand info!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Hi all, I thought this might be a good thread to post this picture of the Zaffiro Home Trainer tire I've had for a while... should I be concerned?Vittoria Zaffiro Trainer Tire - Should I Bother?-img_2273.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by junglejay View Post
    Hi all, I thought this might be a good thread to post this picture of the Zaffiro Home Trainer tire I've had for a while... should I be concerned?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2273.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	321091
    About what? Crashing? It either works or it doesn't.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    About what? Crashing? It either works or it doesn't.
    I perhaps should have been clearer. I am wondering about the cracks that have developed parallel to the threads of the tire. Not sure if they are normal wear & tear (and nothing to worry about), or presage to catastrophic failure. Here is another picture.Vittoria Zaffiro Trainer Tire - Should I Bother?-img_2271.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I perhaps should have been clearer. I am wondering about the cracks that have developed parallel to the threads of the tire. Not sure if they are normal wear & tear (and nothing to worry about), or presage to catastrophic failure. Here is another picture.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2271.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	321092
    I guess that doesn't change what I have to say. It either works or it doesn't and I don't know what you are concerned might happen on a trainer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would say as long as you don't use it anywhere except on the trainer, it should be fine. After all, if it fails, the trainer mount will keep you from falling.

However, I wouldn't take it out on the road - not even around the block. New tires are a lot cheaper than a trip to the ER.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I bought one to use on our tandem but stopped using it, forgot exactly why though.
    You are better off just using a worn tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    I perhaps should have been clearer. I am wondering about the cracks that have developed parallel to the threads of the tire. Not sure if they are normal wear & tear (and nothing to worry about), or presage to catastrophic failure. Here is another picture.Click image for larger version. 

Your trainer tire is unusually filthy also. My Zaffiro trainer tire would get slightly gray, bu it wouldn't turn shiny black down the center. You should probably thoroughly wash your trainer's roller and put on a new tire.

As far as whether trainer tires are worth it. I would say yes if any of the following conditions are true.

1) You have a spare rear wheel anyway.
    2) You use your trainer a ton...thousands of miles in the winter off-season.
    3) Your normal tires are cotton-wall tubulars or open-tubular (non-vulcanized clinchers) with glued on treads.

I can't recall if my Zaffiro started cracking...if it did it was very slight. What did end up happening is I would occasionally forget to loosen the roller tension afters sessions and eventually the tire developed a kink/bulge in one spot that made the ride lumpy and could have potentially led to a bigger failure. I don't think the Zaffiro is the only trainer tire this happens to.

Eventually I just switched to a direct-drive trainer and have been much happier with the user experience.

RoadBikeReview Member

Catastrophic failure on a trainer?

You yourself say you have had it for a while, buy another one. $30 on Amazon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ceugene View Post
    Your trainer tire is unusually filthy also. My Zaffiro trainer tire would get slightly gray, bu it wouldn't turn shiny black down the center.
    Junglejay lives in NYC. Of course his tire is filthy! I live in North Jersey and you wouldn't believe the amount of black soot I wipe off my tires after a ride before I bring it back in the house.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    I have the same tire and after two years of trainer use it looks like this. Seam to be the way trainer tires wear.
    I say keep riding it and when you start to see a bump form, replace the tire.