RoadBikeReview Member

Vodka in my Endurox?

So I am 43 and never been a competitive cyclist. I'm pretty slow too (2.5 hours to do 40 miles of reasonably flat Denver loop) I drink Endurox for recovery but last couple rides have started after 5 pm and get done around 7:30 so, like any respectable alcoholic, I thought hmmm.. Vodka? So long story short I mixed Vodka with my recovery drink and wouldn't you know it my minor aches and pains go away

In all seriousness, how counter productive is it to add vodka to my recovery drink? Am I destroying all benefit? Because right now I feel pretty good!

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Kvonnah
    So I am 43 and never been a competitive cyclist. I'm pretty slow too (2.5 hours to do 40 miles of reasonably flat Denver loop) I drink Endurox for recovery but last couple rides have started after 5 pm and get done around 7:30 so, like any respectable alcoholic, I thought hmmm.. Vodka? So long story short I mixed Vodka with my recovery drink and wouldn't you know it my minor aches and pains go away

In all seriousness, how counter productive is it to add vodka to my recovery drink? Am I destroying all benefit? Because right now I feel pretty good!
    skip the Endurox next time and go right for the Vodka.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    My favorite recovery supplement is Rita's water ice and Belvedere vodka

AnthonyB
    Dec 2008
    1 glass of water right in the door
    1 gatorade while putting away bike gear
    1 ice cold bud light while in the shower

RoadBikeReview Member
    the vodka might help you feel good at the time, but not the greatest thing for recovery.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jack Daniels is much better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Ethanol

Quote Originally Posted by Kvonnah
    It depends very heavily on two things: 1) the amount you drink and 2) your sensitivity to alcohol. Secondary factors would include how dehydrated you were and how much food you ate to go along with it.

As a general rule, alcohol is not good for you, but you knew that. Moderate intake is not an issue for most people. As my very insightful freshman chemistry instructor explained: "ethanol is merely the least poisonous of all alcohols."

Poseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_boi
    1 glass of water right in the door
    1 gatorade while putting away bike gear
    1 ice cold bud light while in the shower
    The water is fine, but the other two are downright nasty. Way too much sugar in one and absolutely no taste in the other.
    I like cats, I just can't finish a whole one by myself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    There are some studies showing that post-exercise alcohol negatively affects recovery. Most of what I can find right now focuses on weight training though. Here is one example: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19230764

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was watching the '73 TDF on youtube and they mentioned that this one rider would drink a pint of hightest the night before a big race and that he had no problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    that was back in the day when the only thing dictating whether you won the TdF was how tough mentally and physically you were. These days it's all like F1, high performance and squeezing the most out of the genetics you have. With the exception of hardmen who punch above their own weight (i.e- Jens Voight, Chavanel, Hesjedal, O'Grady etc) it's all down to engineering victories and fitness haha
    Newbie:

2010 Malvern Star OPPY C5

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    How did you feel on the bike the next day? That's what recovery is all about. It's not about how you feel laying on the couch after your ride. Personally, a beer or two never hurt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    BEER is GOOD. helps recovery, it is isotonic, has anitoxidants, carbs, vitamin B6. and relax your legs. But just drink 1 or 2 please

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    i started riding to loose the weight from all my beer, the last thing i need is an excuse to drink more of it after a ride ha. i dont believe ill be checking this thread anymore.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    I hear you, I'm not a competitive cyclist, in fact I only ride because I enjoy it, not in a do it, training hard, everyday kind of enjoy it, I love just getting out when I can and enjoying the scenery. I like to come home afterward and drink some beers or suck down some cheap Italian gas wine.
    bici italia