Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

W/o goin' custom, does this sort of bike exist?

Hi all,

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in "Bike, Frame.." section since it is not about one specific bike.

I have been looking online for the better part of 3 weeks, pouring through websites and models from various manufacturers. I know this will sound picky, actually super picky, but does this sort of bike with these "exact" parameters exist anymore without me having to either buy a frame to then build up or to order a custom bike done?

Here's the parameters, with no exceptions:

--would like to try a carbon frame finally

--rim brakes only (absolutely no discs)

--threaded bottom bracket (preferably shimano's std hollowtech bb),
    absolutely no pressfit of any kind

--endurance geometry (this bike will be an "easy" day recovery, tooling around bike, thus would like something with shorter reach, longer Headtube and such

--105 and/or Ultegra components (no campy, can't afford $$$ to go that route)

--and, finally, the bike's overall paint job is not so fugly-ugly I wanna puke every time I get on it

(For wheels, build my own and do not care what comes with the bike. Other components, I have lying around that I use across all my steel,, ti, and alu frames).

Well, that's it. Can i ask: please, please don't turn this thread into a series of lectures why I should be using disc brakes, or why pressfit is better than threaded, or to use Campy components always, and things like that.

I am just trying to draw on all of your experiences and hope that maybe you all know of something out there that would fit the above parameters. Preferably something that I can get here in Europe too...without going uber $$$ custom route.

The closest thing I've found is the new "Specialized Elite":
    https://www.specialized.com/nl/en/al...=239804-133817

I think the above 2018 Elite fits all my parameters (still am unsure about the BB, and Specialized is taking their time getting back to me), but, as I mentioned earlier, would really like to try a carbon bike. This is especially true since I had just bought a Emonda ALR frame & built it up several months back. I want to finally cast my worries aside & give a carbon frame a whirl. But I cannot find one carbon frame from anyone/anywhere on the WWW that fits the above parameters (note: for me, no buying carbon frames used, has to be spanking new and never ridden).

Thank you for any hints, help, tips and so forth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well first off, that bike you linked to is aluminum, not carbon.

So....... you want:

1) Full carbon frame and fork.

2) Hollowtech II threaded BB.

3) Rim brakes.

4) Endurance geometry.

5) 105 or Ultegra.

6) Un-fugly.

I can't say I know of any new carbon bikes being made with a threaded BB. If you can deal with a press-fit, the other requirements should be easy. Sorry.

BTW, fugly is subjective. What do you consider a fugly paint job? Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't rule out press fit BB's. Some work fine, some don't. But there's always the solution of a BB Threaded Adapter. They work great.
    Just stay away from BB90. There's no threaded adapter option for it as it's a 24mm bearing. Choose a BB that's larger like BB30/PF30.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Don't rule out press fit BB's. Some work fine, some don't. But there's always the solution of a BB Threaded Adapter. They work great.
    Just stay away from BB90. There's no threaded adapter option for it as it's a 24mm bearing. Choose a BB that's larger like BB30/PF30.
    While I would prefer a threaded BB, I have a 2014 Synapse Carbon with BB30. 7,500 miles and so far, not a peep out of it.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    While I would prefer a threaded BB, I have a 2014 Synapse Carbon with BB30. 7,500 miles and so far, not a peep out of it.
    Over 14,000mi on my Cannondale Supersix with PF30. Never a peep.

I assume you have a carbon BB shell and not Alum. A steel bearing in a carbon BB shell isn't likely to creak. If it creaks, it's more likely the spindle or adapters (metal on metal)
    My previous bike has a BB30 with Alum shell. That son of a b!tch creaked all the time.

Shimano cranks in BB30 BB's tend to creak more because they require adapters/reducers. Also Shimano cranks have literally no side load, which is important to keep a press fit bearing secure.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I think Pinarrello has threaded bb, mine does.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Over 14,000mi on my Cannondale Supersix with PF30. Never a peep.

I assume you have a carbon BB shell and not Alum. A steel bearing in a carbon BB shell isn't likely to creak. If it creaks, it's more likely the spindle or adapters (metal on metal)
    My previous bike has a BB30 with Alum shell. That son of a b!tch creaked all the time.

Shimano cranks in BB30 BB's tend to creak more because they require adapters/reducers. Also Shimano cranks have literally no side load, which is important to keep a press fit bearing secure.
    Not sure what the shell is made out of on my Synapse. I wanted to use an Ultegra crankset, so I put a Wheels Manufacturing converter in. It's been in there for over 4,000 miles with no probems.

My shop admitted that some Cannondale BB30s have come back with creaking problems, but it hasn't been that many. They have seen more Trek BB90s come back with problems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bianchi Intenso

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    Bianchi Intenso
    Well there you are! Bianchi hasn't drunk the press-fit Kool-Aid........yet. They have quite a few nice endurance rim brake bikes with threaded BBs.

I hope you like Celeste though. Not my favorite color, but I don't consider it a dealbreaker either. It is (and has been) Bianchi's sort of trademark:

Endurance Racing | Bianchi USA

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Bianchi Intenso
    Way to go, Kiwi!!

I just assumed Bianchi would be leading the charge with all the disc, pressfit, etc stuff.

Now I just gotta go their site, find it, then close my eyes as I click on the price, then hope I don't pass out when the $$$$ number comes back.

Thank you again!

p.s. The bike is kinda nice looking.....I always remembered, since my wife had a steel Bianchi back in the early 90s, that all the lettering would be in brilliant white screaming its brains out...sort of like Scott does nowadays On that bike it is sort of understated with the grey

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelgianHammer View Post
    Way to go, Kiwi!!

I just assumed Bianchi would be leading the charge with all the disc, pressfit, etc stuff.

Now I just gotta go their site, find it, then close my eyes as I click on the price, then hope I don't pass out when the $$$$ number comes back.

Thank you again!

p.s. The bike is kinda nice looking.....I always remembered, since my wife had a steel Bianchi back in the early 90s, that all the lettering would be in brilliant white screaming its brains out...sort of like Scott does nowadays On that bike it is sort of understated with the grey
    I don't know where Kiwi got that pic. Must be from a previous year. All the current rim brake Intensos are Celeste with black lettering which I will agree looks a helluva lot nicer than white lettering.

The 105 version is $2,200, the Ultegra version is $2,600:

Intenso 105 | Bianchi USA

Intenso Ultegra | Bianchi USA

Not bad pricing, though to be absolutely fair, the cranksets on these are lower Shimano, but still good quality, not some FSA crap. Both have Fulcrum wheel sets. I know someone who got at least 20K miles out of those. They do have a rather noisy freewheel if that matters to you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't know where Kiwi got that pic. Must be from a previous year. All the current rim brake Intensos are Celeste with black lettering which I will agree looks a helluva lot nicer than white lettering.
    Bianchi | ROAD | INTENSO
    Japanese site has two colours, Matt Black like in the picture and Celeste. I hate Celeste, there once was a skinny little weasel who rode one that would wheelsuck behind my big arse till the hills and then proceed to ride away like a dick. Time and time and time again he did it, and he rode a dick green Bianchi. Climbers are a pox on cycling as a sport. Real men ride TT, down wind on gentle downward slopes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Climbers are a pox on cycling as a sport. Real men ride TT, down wind on gentle downward slopes.
    I respectfully disagree. I'm a climber. Real men climb. But I don't wheelsuck. I ride near the back on the flats, then I pass the group on the uphills and watch everybody pass me out of spite on the downhills.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Many Chinese carbon frames still come with BSA bottom bracket. Plus, you can order with no paint and do your own design.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Many Chinese carbon frames still come with BSA bottom bracket. Plus, you can order with no paint and do your own design.
    But why buy an off-brand Chinese carbon frame when you can buy a reputable frame like Bianchi?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    But why buy an off-brand Chinese carbon frame when you can buy a reputable frame like Bianchi?
    More choices on frame geo and custom paintwork option. Plus less money which can be rerouted to other components.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    More choices on frame geo and custom paintwork option. Plus less money which can be rerouted to other components.
    did you read the thread title? Sometimes people just want to buy a bike one day and ride it the next. I've bought frames from China and for what you pay you get a lot but I never really get emotionally attached to them like I have with my "better" bikes.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    That' a decent price. I see the cranks say 'Shimano' and not Ultegra, but they look like Ultegra cranks. Is it 6800 or 8000? The ad isn't very clear. Bianchi is different in a nice way. Celeste is uniquely Bianchi. If you get a Bianchi, it ought to be celeste. That bike would set you apart from the herd a bit.

I was commuting in on Monday and a guy passed me on a carbon bike that had 'Ricky Bobby" painted on the down tube in flaming letters. I caught up to him and asked him is there really a bike company named after a cheesy character in a Will Farrell movie? He said its a Deng Fu (or whatever). $600 for the frame and paint job. 'Its a world class frame -- been riding it and racing it for two years'.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Just got off the phone with a few Bianchi dealers here in Belgium. Spoke French with one dealer, then Dutch with the other, and ended up at the same place:

2640 euros, which is $3,120. Evidently, there's no bargaining and/or discounting that goes on with Bianchi(s).

So, why $3,120 when it is $2600 for the Ultegra-version in the U.S.?

For those that don't live in Europe, every country of the EU has their own Value Added Tax, which is generally ~20% in every country. So whatever you buy, no matter how small (a candy bar) and/or big (a new house), you know that 20% is built in.

This money goes to the country's coffers, and politicians, and is what allows the countries to function as they do with basically free health care for all, education (K-12) that is envy of most of every U.S. State, social services, care for the elderly, etc, etc, and yes, also to pay those wonderful politicians.

So, $3200 smackers if I have to stick to my parameters.

Gonna have a Chimay or two, think about it, hopefully before my brain loses focus, and see what thoughts I wake up to

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just got off the phone with a few Bianchi dealers here in Belgium. Spoke French with one dealer, then Dutch with the other, and ended up at the same place:

2640 euros, which is $3,120. Evidently, there's no bargaining and/or discounting that goes on with Bianchi(s).

So, why $3,120 when it is $2600 for the Ultegra-version in the U.S.?

For those that don't live in Europe, every country of the EU has their own Value Added Tax, which is generally ~20% in every country. So whatever you buy, no matter how small (a candy bar) and/or big (a new house), you know that 20% is built in.

This money goes to the country's coffers, and politicians, and is what allows the countries to function as they do with basically free health care for all, education (K-12) that is envy of most of every U.S. State, social services, care for the elderly, etc, etc, and yes, also to pay those wonderful politicians.

So, $3200 smackers if I have to stick to my parameters.

Gonna have a Chimay or two, think about it, hopefully before my brain loses focus, and see what thoughts I wake up to
    Well how about the 105 version? I have bikes with 5800 and 6800 and I can say I don't notice any difference in shift quality. They both shift excellently. Ultegra may be a few grams lighter, that's it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Well how about the 105 version? I have bikes with 5800 and 6800 and I can say I don't notice any difference in shift quality. They both shift excellently. Ultegra may be a few grams lighter, that's it.
    Yeah, I could just go 105 and then the price would drop $300 to $2900. I was just thinking, if I am gonna go whole hog, might as well swallow the whale & pony up to get Ultegra for the first time since the early 2000s (I too have 105 on every other bike, and have never had a problem with it).

One thing that confuses me about the specs on this Bianchi is this: it's a carbon frame, and I am finally convincing myself to shutup and get a carbon frame, yet the seatpost I would be sitting on is an "alloy" seatpost. Plus, it's 31.6mm diameter! True a##-buster!! I thought my tush, for once, would be sitting on all carbon, as in both carbon frame and carbon post? I realize they're trying to save money and such, but geeezlousie Bianchi, give a guy a carbon post and don't make him drop $100-$200 to get one after he buys it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, I could just go 105 and then the price would drop $300 to $2900. I was just thinking, if I am gonna go whole hog, might as well swallow the whale & pony up to get Ultegra for the first time since the early 2000s (I too have 105 on every other bike, and have never had a problem with it).

One thing that confuses me about the specs on this Bianchi is this: it's a carbon frame, and I am finally convincing myself to shutup and get a carbon frame, yet the seatpost I would be sitting on is an "alloy" seatpost. Plus, it's 31.6mm diameter! True a##-buster!! I thought my tush, for once, would be sitting on all carbon, as in both carbon frame and carbon post? I realize they're trying to save money and such, but geeezlousie Bianchi, give a guy a carbon post and don't make him drop $100-$200 to get one after he buys it
    Well, to be fair, how much of a difference do you really think a carbon seatpost makes?

Or can I ask you what is the primary reason why you want a carbon bike? Have you test ridden any carbon bikes? And if so, was there anything noteworthy in the way one felt that would make you prefer it over any of your existing bikes?

flinty-eyed moderator
    Well first off, that bike you linked to is aluminum, not carbon.

I can't say I know of any new carbon bikes being made with a threaded BB. If you can deal with a press-fit, the other requirements should be easy. Sorry.
    Pinarello- italian threaded though
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    Pinarello- italian threaded though
    Kiwi discovered that Bianchi still uses threaded BBs on their carbon bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Kiwi discovered that Bianchi still uses threaded BBs on their carbon bikes.
    So does Pinnarello!
    It may be italian threads, I don't know, but.... it is Shimano Di2, so italian doesn't matter if it does, just get the italian thread heads, hello.
    BANNED

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast