Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wahoo ELEMNT

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    Finally got out for a ride today and was able to give the ELEMNT a go. First the good, then the bad.

PROS:

Beautiful, crisp, easy to read display.
    Button integration is logical and easy to use
    Pairing went well
    Page customization is easy and intuitive
    Customer support is great, which leads me to the cons and why I know this.

CONS:

Dropped sensors:
    Lost my HR (Polar), cadence (Topeak) temporarily, and my speed (Topeak) almost entirely. When I uploaded to Strava, my segment speeds were there, but average for them as well as the entire ride were WAY off (~10MPH less). There were times that the speed was displayed, by my estimation, correctly. But more often than not it showed either nothing (0 MPH) or a progression of 3-5 MPH, which coincidentally (again by my estimation) was about 5x less than my actual speed. I was able to get the speed to register correctly after coming to a full stop, but it would quickly disappear again.

GPS Issues:
    This was my regular route of just over 16 miles, the ELEMNT lost 10 of them. Not sure if this was related to the speed sensor issue or not, but it happened nonetheless.

Battery life:
    This ride took just over an hour and ate up 25% of the battery, a far cry from the purported 20+ hour battery life.

Cyclemeter:
    Isn't supported at this time, which is weird considering the REFLKT did.

Ride titles:
    Defaults to 'Lunch Ride', haven't seen anywhere to change that.

While I expected to experience some level of bugginess as an early adopter, this is excessive, and IMO, unacceptable. Thankfully, Wahoo support has been very communicative in dealing with complaints so I am hopeful that I will see some resolution to these problems soon. But as of now, this expensive bike computer is, for me, being outperformed by my $4.99 premium version of Cyclemeter.
    Ouch... hopefully they get things figured out. Sounds like a LOT of issues need correcting.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I got out for an decent ride with my ELEMNT yesterday. My findings are similar to others.

PROS

• I like the phone UI for the initial setup
    • The display is easy to read in most any light condition (except darkness), even with the backlight off.
    • Battery life was good for me. My total elapsed time (including pauses) was about 4.5 hours and I ended at 53%. Not 20 hours, but plenty for what I need. This was with the phone connected and Live Track running.
    • The screens are fairly easy to configure, even mid-ride. I made several adjustments to the display pages during my rest stops and it was seamless and updated dynamically.
    • The bottom three buttons are easy enough to use while riding. Easy enough to feel that you don't really need to look down to hit a lap button (for example).
    • Overall, the thing feels solid and well made. I haven't dropped it, but I don't feel like it would break if I did.

Cons

• The page layout stuff really needs some work. While the UI for setting them up is good, I really feel like I need more control over the size and location of the individual fields beyond just the order they go in. For example, I use the lap counter to track when I eat (on longer rides). I use the lap time field on one of my displays, but I don't think the lap number field should take an entire field on it's own, especially when there are so few available, or I should be able to make it much smaller.
    • The Live Track feature worked well, but it's very limited. All it shows on the web page is a green position marker to show where you are. There is no other data (route, start, track, speed, etc...), so it's difficult for the viewer to know what's going on other than the unit is in an activity and has connectivity.
    • The Live Track URL is persistent for the account. Meaning that once someone has it, they will always be able to use it to know your location during a ride. They need to either allow a one-time use URL, or issue them on a per-ride basis.
    • Mount availability is limited to one. As far as I know, the only mount available is K-Edge you buy from Wahoo. I saw in an email that BarFly and K-Edge will be selling them as well, and that the 'puck/insert' will be available separately for the modular units. If any 3D printing wizards are out there, this might be an opportunity. I have half a dozen garmin mounts that I need inserts for.
    • The large up/down buttons on the side are a bit stiff, and can be awkward to get to when mounted on the bike. Fortunately, they aren't really used for much during a ride.
    • There is no attachment point for a security lanyard. On my Garmin Edge units, I like looping the security lanyard around something on the bike, so there is no chance for it to get knocked off, or stolen via a grab and dash.
    • As someone else detailed, map function isn't great. The only real use for it would be to follow a new route you weren't familiar with, but even then, with no turn by turn, and no street labels on the screen, it's limited.
    • Sensor dropouts. My unit lost connection my stages power meter during one of my breaks. It didn't just not have data, it actually registered and logged 7 watts for an entire hour of my ride, despite the fact that the unit obviously wasn't connected (looking at the sensor paring screen).
    • The app absolutely KILLED my phone battery. I went from 100% to 4% battery life on my phone (LG V10) during my 4.5 hour ride. I did use the Live Track, which uses blue tooth and the phones connectivity to show your location on a web site. This is a core feature as far as I'm concerned, but they really need to find a way to optimize the apps battery usage in this scenario.
    • No Di2 data fields. While I was surprised to find that it paired to my Di2 D-Fly unit, it did not make any data fields available for it (I like to see my Di2 battery status on my head unit). I understand this will be added in a future update.
    • Auto Pause Didn't. On my rest/food stops, I had to manually pause the activity.

Bottom line is, the unit is functional, but not amazing. I experienced a handful of bugs, and some frustration trying to get my data screens the way I want them. I think it has a lot of potential to be a great unit once it's a little more polished.

I think next ride, I'm going to run my Edge 1000 and the ELEMNT in tandem and compare some things (battery life, GPS accuracy, sensor stability, etc...)
    Last edited by Migen21; 03-19-2016 at 12:27 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2016
    First I'll address what others have been commenting on.

I have a Rec-Mount system from Japan, it takes some coaxing, but it does hold the unit perfectly. As others have posted at this point, Cyclometer is a stronger computer the only problem I had with that is battery life of my iPhone, otherwise I would not have gone with the Elemnt at all.
    Cons:I have the new Element, but the Elemnt itself, it will not display my Data from my other Wahoo sensors. Neither my Wahoo Blue Heart Rate Monitor, my Doutrap cadence device, or my Wahoo Bluetooth cadence device display any data other than Speed. Heart Rate and Cadence are not being displayed at all. All I can see is N/A. All three of this device are paired and have no problem sending data to the Wahoo Fitness App, Wahoo Elemnt App, Wahoo Utility App, and Abvio Apps (Cyclometer and Walkmeter). What gives?
    I sent this to support, on Friday and as of Sunday morning, I'm still waiting for a reply. Do any of you guys have any ideas?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    mshow, have you done a firmware update?

If not, connect to a WiFi using the mobile app, then go into the system menu on the device, and check for a Firmware update. It might solve your problems.

If not, I'd say your unit is defective.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2016
    I'm on version WF38-219. It tells me I'm up to date, are you on the same version?
    '16 Trek Domane 6 Series Custom
    '16 Cannondale SuperX Ultegra

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    mshow, have you done a firmware update?

If not, connect to a WiFi using the mobile app, then go into the system menu on the device, and check for a Firmware update. It might solve your problems.

If not, I'd say your unit is defective.
    I got it. I had to pair all the apps, the Elemnt, my phone, do a factory reset, and then pair it directly to the device and not through the app. I don't know which actually did the trick, but it works now. Thanks for getting me to think outside of the box.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I had my second ride today, and the unit performed flawlessly. This ride was shorter (just over two hours - no pauses).

I did have a problem with Live Track. At some point early in the ride my unit lost contact with my phone, but I'm about 95% sure this is a problem with the bluetooth stack on my LG-V10, as I have problems with other bluetooth connections (headphones, car head unit, etc...) as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had my second ride today, and the unit performed flawlessly. This ride was shorter (just over two hours - no pauses).

I did have a problem with Live Track. At some point early in the ride my unit lost contact with my phone, but I'm about 95% sure this is a problem with the bluetooth stack on my LG-V10, as I have problems with other bluetooth connections (headphones, car head unit, etc...) as well.
    Don't be too sure to place it all at the feet of the LG. I noticed something peculiar last night with the ELEMNT and BT. I had the unit mounted on one bike, with the other directly next to it, like within a foot. In 'settings' you can view BT signal strength of connected sensors by way of bars. The bike it was mounted to showed 3/4 bars for signal strength, with the bike next to it at 2/4. I'm sorry, but BTLE is supposed to be strong up to 30' AFAIK, a distance I doubt with the ELEMNT given what I observed. Further solidifying that belief is the sensor that gave it the least amount of problems, my HR monitor, which is directly in front of it with no obstructions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    The reason I'm fairly certain it was the phone is because my LG G-Watch R also lost connectivity at the same time. Toggling airiplane mode on the phone resolved both issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I just got an update for the ELEMNT Android app.

New version is 1.1.0.15(115)

I don't have my ELEMNT with me, but it's telling me I have to re-pair the unit.

According to the 'What's New' section on the app description, they added new localization's, the ability to export a .fit file (nice addition), and some misc. bug fixes.

Edit:
    I just re-paired my ELEMNT to the phone. I only had a few minutes to play around with it. I didn't notice a lot new. The routes page on the app has the ability to create a new route (manual import from Strava or RideWithGPS), from your ride history (on the device), or from an uploaded .fit file. I don't recall seeing this before this update, but I may have just not noticed it.

Unfortunately, I tried to import a route from RideWithGPS (I hadn't previous imported my routes from here), and as soon as it finished, the app crashed. The import completed, and I didn't lose anything, other than having to restart the app, so no harm done. I'll report this as a bug on the support page.
    Last edited by Migen21; 03-21-2016 at 05:47 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    New ELEMNT firmware is available today.

To update, connect to WiFi using the smartphone app, then on the unit, tap the power button, scroll to 'System Info' and press 'Open', then to 'Version' and press 'Check'. Follow the prompts.

D-Fly support. \0/

ELEMNT SOFTWARE UPDATES

ELEMNT WF38-221 - 23RD MARCH 2016

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    And....

K-Edge has mounts (that aren't blue) and inserts for the ELEMNT to replace the ones on your existing K-Edge garmin mounts.

https://www.acecosportgroup.com/k-ed...nt-mounts.html
    Last edited by Migen21; 03-25-2016 at 08:42 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Daaaamn......

this new piece of kit is nice!

//starts packing own 510 for eBay sale after hitting submit button//

I really like the fact that the Wahoo has a kindle type sharp and clear screen...the Garmin leaves much to be desired.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Well,

I learned something today I did not know. I guess it pays to actually watch the tutorials.

You can 'zoom' in or out on any data page (to display more or less fields) by using the up/down buttons on the right side of the unit.

To some degree, this mitgates my complaint about the lack of flexibility in configuring the data screens. However, it puts more emphasis on my complaint about the side buttons being too stiff. They are awkward to manipulate while riding.

On another note, I was having some strange issues with my unit after the last firmware update. It was being flaky about WiFi connections, and bluetooth between the phone and unit would not stay connected. I also couldn't get it to add new sensors (it wouldn't detect them).

I finally gave in and did a factory reset on the unit, after which everything seems to be working fine.

I also tested the incoming text message and phone call notification, and it works flawlessly (assuming reliable mobile phone service and the Bluetooth connection stays up). Note that you can disable the test/phone notification if you choose.
    Last edited by Migen21; 03-25-2016 at 12:09 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2016
    I had the same problem regarding connectivity this afternoon. My cadence would drop in and out from time to time.
    I also find it much easier to setup multiple customizable pages rather than trying to use those side buttons to zoom. The Page button is much easier to use.

What really sticks is that I was trying to run my Cyclometer and Elemnt at the same time in order to compare the two, but you cannot pair sensors to two different systems at the same time.
    Truth be told, I will miss using Cyclometer, I think it's a much more power app than the Elemnt is as a stand alone unit. I'm really gonna miss not listening to Podcasts while on the trail. I' strongly thinking about returning the unit and picking up an external battery that I can throw into a top tube bag that will last me all day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Today I set out after having yesterday's ride offer more of the same with regards to my speed not registering and having miles lost. What I did differently was I disabled my Topeak Speed/Cadence sensor. The reason for this was despite having my cadence work well the day before, the speed sensor didn't register more than a few minutes at various points of my ride, despite my having disabled GPS speed on the ELEMNT. Well, I am happy to report that doing so resulted in a successful ride, with no dropouts or any other mishaps. The downside is that the Topeak unit is pretty much useless as of now, so I ordered a standalone cadence unit and will rely on GPS speed for the time being.

Wahoo has been outstanding with their communication. Here's hoping any small issues others are having get resolved quickly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Why I am leaving the 510:
    I have been using the 510 for a while and I am not sure I have ever finished an important ride (3 LGF's, SLO Gran Fondo, NYGF to name a few) without it doing something stupid (forgetting what Ant+ is, drawing a straight line from one place to the next, the list goes on). Besides random things, it could not even do the basics like being able to read it on a shady trail (and certainly not without glasses). It was replaced once by garmin because the ears broke off (before dogears) and the new unit always seemed more buggy than the old one (like when it failed to start the night before the Rockwell Relay and the only way to get it to boot was to do a hard reset and I spent half my first leg setting the thing up).

Why I am keeping the Elemnt:
    I've used the Elemnt on 5 outdoor rides so far and the last ride clinched it for me, it is a keeper. I rode 99 miles with over 10k of climbing yesterday and it finished the 7:30 HH:MM time (6:30 moving) with 18% battery left. The battery life still needs some work and I will probably disable live track if I am going to be outside cell coverage again for an extended period of time since I probably only had coverage 20% of the time. It also killed the battery in my Nexus 6P which normally goes 2 days between charges (so again, disable live track would probably fix that too, especially since I am not using live track and I hardly ever have coverage when I ride).

Climbing without my (reader) sunglasses, I could still read the display, easily.

Navigation buttons, I swear on the garmin, swipe it, half the time it brings up soft buttons. Not something I want to mess with when I am getting ready for a big descent. With the Elemnt, the "Page" button just works.

But the clincher, when my buddy uploaded his ride from his 510 to Strava, all he got was the parking lot (even though it shows all of the segments, miles and elevation), the map is 40 feet long. Mine looked flawless.

There are bugs for sure (which it looks like they are working on tirelessly) and I am not enamored with he way they are using the side LEDs for Up/Down for average power, I would rather they let me set a target power, like FTP, so they would have some real world use. I don't know, maybe the Elemnt will fail at crunch time as well but I do know the 510 will never be on my bike again and garmin won't see another cent from me, they had so much time and so many chances... I'm done.
    Sufferfest/TrainerRoad Junky

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Nice write up.

I use the side LED's for HR zones, which fits my needs perfectly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice write up.

I use the side LED's for HR zones, which fits my needs perfectly.
    Ditto.

I added a Wahoo speed sensor to my order, so I will report back when I have all the, ahem, elements in place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HyperSprite View Post
    I don't know, maybe the Elemnt will fail at crunch time as well but I do know the 510 will never be on my bike again and garmin won't see another cent from me, they had so much time and so many chances... I'm done.
    couldn't have said it better! screw Garmin, they peed away so many chances to get it better (if not right).

picking one up soon and looking for the much improved 3rd party file support/interface.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

flinty-eyed moderator
    I have a Wahoo Kickr trainer, so I have been interested in this. Please keep posting your experiences!
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I have been lucky with my 510 until about 5-6 weeks ago. Now it is screwing up all the time I have done more then one reset and it hasn't helped at all. I had read so many people having bad luck with their 510 that I knew I was doing good with the one I had until....

I had been watching this already as the 510 always sucked on the touchscreen and the contrast was craptastic at best. I'm very hopeful that the Elemnt will be my new toy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Got out for a quick ride after work. I am using both a Wahoo speed sensor as well as cadence (their new models) and I have to say I am really pleased now with the ELEMNT. Both sensors are connected via ANT+ and my HRM is connected via BT. I am guessing a big part of the problem for me was the Topeak. From what I understand, this isn't surprising to some people, so I will take this as a teaching moment.

I cannot stress how terrific the entire Wahoo team has been during this product launch. They have been extremely receptive to buyer feedback and suggestions, as well as being proactive in dealing with problems users have experienced. My faith in this purchase is 100% restored, and then some.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    I cannot stress how terrific the entire Wahoo team has been during this product launch. They have been extremely receptive to buyer feedback and suggestions, as well as being proactive in dealing with problems users have experienced. My faith in this purchase is 100% restored, and then some.
    To quote Murray:

We won’t be launching with turn by turn, the ELEMNT currently has On-Route / Off-Route detection and “distance to go”. We will be enabling Turn by Turn in Q1 for RideWithGPS routes but unsure about when we can support turn by turn from Strava as they don’t currently provide the cue sheets.
    where Q1 has come and gone and now according to Ray Maker

Right now much of the catch-up navigation type features are planned to be added by “end of year”.
    By "catch-up navigation type features" we're talking about functionality in the Garmin Edge 500 which predates the ELEMNT by 6.5 years.
    Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 04-01-2016 at 02:49 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    And....

K-Edge has mounts (that aren't blue) and inserts for the ELEMNT to replace the ones on your existing K-Edge garmin mounts.

https://www.acecosportgroup.com/k-ed...nt-mounts.html
    I ordered a red one. Wasn't there as an option last I checked, so I'm glad I waited.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast