Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Wahoo ELEMNT

RoadBikeReview Member
    That makes solid sense. In fact... last year on a long FS road (mtn bikes) climb, my friend - about 15 yards back - yelled up "Hey, want me to pick up your Garmin?" Yep, had popped and dropped, and I was oblivious. So, maybe I should rethink that tether thing ;-)

Neophyte
    Any chance a Mod can rename this thread Wahoo ELEMNT + BOLT ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I thought about this as well, but technically the Bolt is still an ELEMNT - it's just got the word "Bolt" appended to it... might have warranted it's own thread though.

Forever a Student
    use a torque wrench

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    Oh cool, another improvement for the Bolt over the standard ELEMNT is the addition of a Tether - This is something I missed on my original ELEMNT

The tether would be for people like me that would use a third party mount. If you use the provided mount, that's what the little silver screw is on the underside. It screws the unit into the mount.

And as they've mentioned, that legally makes the computer part of the bike, seeing how it's then screwed down. It can add weight for teams and situations where it's needed instead of having to glue on or install weights to the bottom bracket.

use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I won't use the screw even on the standard mount.

Too much hassle to swap between bikes and put on the charger.

The tether is quick and easy.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Forever a Student
    Interestingly it seems as though Wahoo has a third Elemnt head unit in the works. As seen in the comment section of a video above, Bike24 was having a presale for a new Elemnt Mini for 100 euro, complete with picture and all. Release date of mide April maybe. Apparently they deleted the presale today, not sure how long it was going for. Looking at the picture, it's quite clear that it's not the original nor the bolt but a different unit altogether.

So maybe the original Elemnt will be discontinued seeing how the bolt is essentially the same hardware. And then maybe the mini will come in as a cheap option, one they'll support properly unlike the Rflkt.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Interestingly it seems as though Wahoo has a third Elemnt head unit in the works. As seen in the comment section of a video above, Bike24 was having a presale for a new Elemnt Mini for 100 euro, complete with picture and all. Release date of mide April maybe. Apparently they deleted the presale today, not sure how long it was going for. Looking at the picture, it's quite clear that it's not the original nor the bolt but a different unit altogether.

So maybe the original Elemnt will be discontinued seeing how the bolt is essentially the same hardware. And then maybe the mini will come in as a cheap option, one they'll support properly unlike the Rflkt.
    Knew that was coming. It makes zero sense from their perspective to offer both the Bolt and original Elemnt. Why spend money to manufacturer two casings that do the exact same thing? They probably recognized one of the biggest gripes with the original couldn't be remedied in the old housing (near silent notification tones)...so just start over. Once they have a non-mapping option in the $150 range, they will truly be a garmin killer.

Forever a Student
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartoscro View Post
    Once they have a non-mapping option in the $150 range, they will truly be a garmin killer.
    Nah, it will just force a change in Garmin's pricing and or innovation plans - competition is a good thing for the consumer!
    Nothing succeeds like excess

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I'll just leave this here.

https://fccid.io/document.php?id=3205493

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I took my Bolt out for it's maiden voyage yesterday - a 60 mile out and back over a paved rail trail - some of through heavily wooded areas.

I had the phone connected the entire time, but not use a 'route' or any nav features - and did not have the LED's configured. I had the backlight set to '5 seconds (timeout).

The total elapsed time was just over 4 hours and the battery was at 70% at the end of the ride.

TLDR; the thing is awesome in every way - I couldn't be happier with it.

Some differences between it and the original Elemnt that haven't been mentioned (much).

The sounds - BEEPS are *MUCH* louder - easily heard even when riding at speed.
    The buttons - very tactile feel - easy to press - good feedback, even with gloves on - they are a tad smaller than the original, but overall they are a big improvement.
    Weight - I'm far from a weight weenie, but this thing has a much lighter feel to it than the original Element.
    Mount - Not only lighter and more aero than the original, the unit 'snaps' in far more positively - it feels very secure when clicked in (I did not use the screw, and my tether has not arrived yet.
    Sensors - Everything paired up just fine - no issues there at all (not really a huge surprise - the original Elemnt has had flawless sensor performance since last fall.
    Display - Really good - I loved the display on my original Elemnt, and the Bolt is just as good.

My only minor nit is that the offset of the mount is slightly too small to center the unit in front of the stem on my BMC Road Machine - the face plate/clamping mechanism on the front of this stem is a little wider than most stems. The result is the Bolt is about 2mm off center to the left when looking straight down at it. It doesn't have any functional effect, but aesthetically it's a minor annoyance.

If anyone has any specific questions, let me know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Something I noticed on the Bolt that hasn't been mentioned. The charging port is on the bottom edge, which will likely be too close to the stem to charge on-the-go. I guess you could mount it upside down while charging, but that would be a pain. Another plus for the original Elemnt, where the charging port is on the back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartoscro View Post
    Something I noticed on the Bolt that hasn't been mentioned. The charging port is on the bottom edge, which will likely be too close to the stem to charge on-the-go. I guess you could mount it upside down while charging, but that would be a pain. Another plus for the original Elemnt, where the charging port is on the back.
    Actually, that location is better for charging while riding. 90 degree USB cables plugged into a port parallel to the ground stay put, while those perpendicular to the ground can fall out under their own weight.

I have a Garmin Edge 800 on a K-Edge XL I use with a stem mounted Busch & Müller USB Werk power supply with a right angle USB cable. It works great for 20 hour rides.

Whether that works with the standard "aero" BOLT mount is a separate issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I agree, I actually prefer to use 90 degree cables for stuff like this - this way there isn't a long tail sticking out - less likely to get hit and break/bend something.

I use one like this, but you can get these types of cables in left, right, up, or down angles, in whatever length you need, and whatever type of connector you need on the other end.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678