Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Wahoo ELEMNT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    Ok.. here's another question for you guys. How do the Elements handle multiple bikes? I have multiple bikes, each with their own sensors. With my 510, I had multiple bike profiles with each profile set up to connect to the sensors on that bike. On my 820, Garmin uses what they call a "sensor pool" which basically means I connect all of the sensors to the unit and it automatically figures out which ones to use as I ride the bike and the sensors wake up. How does the Element and Bolt handle this? Thanks in advance.
    I don't have experience with multiple bikes/sensors, but the Google group I'm on says it works fine (remembers all sensors). It does not, however have multiple bike profiles like Garmin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    The Elemnt uses a sensor pool. It doesn't have the concept of 'bike profiles'. Whichever sensors are active (from your pool) are the ones that will be recording.

If you have multiple sensors (say someone else is riding one of your bikes nearby with your PM or cadence sensor on it), you can easily 'disable' unused sensors with a quick swipe inside the app.

I have four bikes that I ride regularly, and all of them have either a PM or cadence sensor, as well as a speed sensor. I just make sure I have the sensors I'm using on a given ride enabled in the app, and the rest disabled.

I also have multiple HRM's that I wear variably. Same goes for those.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    If you have multiple sensors (say someone else is riding one of your bikes nearby with your PM or cadence sensor on it), you can easily 'disable' unused sensors with a quick swipe inside the app.
    The sensor pool Garmin uses on it's new units is one of my gripes with them.

The problem I have encountered is this:

Some bikes have power/cadence sensors such as Stages.
    Some bikes have separate power and cadence such as Powertap hub and Wahoo cadence sensor.

When using a new Garmin (520, 820, etc) with a sensor pool, if I grab a bike with a Stages, the entire ride the unit will constantly continue to search for a stand alone cadence unit. All the while, the unit is displaying cadence via the Stages.

So you say, by taking out a phone and going into an application you can disable a sensor, fine, but does the Wahoo constantly search for them needlessly like the Garmin? It's shown on the Garmin by a blinking icon in the pool.

By the way, I bought a brand new 520 and after a week or so basically threw it in the trash, never going to use that junk.
    use a torque wrench

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    The Elemnt uses a sensor pool. It doesn't have the concept of 'bike profiles'. Whichever sensors are active (from your pool) are the ones that will be recording.

I have four bikes that I ride regularly, and all of them have either a PM or cadence sensor, as well as a speed sensor. I just make sure I have the sensors I'm using on a given ride enabled in the app, and the rest disabled.

I also have multiple HRM's that I wear variably. Same goes for those.
    Good to know... I figured that was the case, but didn't see it mentioned in any of the reviews. It was probably already covered in the original Elemnt reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    The sensor pool Garmin uses on it's new units is one of my gripes with them.

The problem I have encountered is this:

Some bikes have power/cadence sensors such as Stages.
    Some bikes have separate power and cadence such as Powertap hub and Wahoo cadence sensor.

When using a new Garmin (520, 820, etc) with a sensor pool, if I grab a bike with a Stages, the entire ride the unit will constantly continue to search for a stand alone cadence unit. All the while, the unit is displaying cadence via the Stages.

So you say, by taking out a phone and going into an application you can disable a sensor, fine, but does the Wahoo constantly search for them needlessly like the Garmin? It's shown on the Garmin by a blinking icon in the pool.

By the way, I bought a brand new 520 and after a week or so basically threw it in the trash, never going to use that junk.
    Interesting... I have basically the same thing going on with my bikes and can't say that I've ever had that issue. I've got a Stages PM reporting power/cadence and speed sensors on both of my road bikes. I also have a speed and standard cadence sensor on my Fatbike. The 820 always seems to get it right.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ok.. here's another question for you guys. How do the Elements handle multiple bikes? I have multiple bikes, each with their own sensors. With my 510, I had multiple bike profiles with each profile set up to connect to the sensors on that bike. On my 820, Garmin uses what they call a "sensor pool" which basically means I connect all of the sensors to the unit and it automatically figures out which ones to use as I ride the bike and the sensors wake up. How does the Element and Bolt handle this? Thanks in advance.
    I will find out tonight, the element is in shipment to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Good to know... I figured that was the case, but didn't see it mentioned in any of the reviews. It was probably already covered in the original Elemnt reviews.

Interesting... I have basically the same thing going on with my bikes and can't say that I've ever had that issue. I've got a Stages PM reporting power/cadence and speed sensors on both of my road bikes. I also have a speed and standard cadence sensor on my Fatbike. The 820 always seems to get it right.
    If a sensor is toggled off in the app, it won't search for it at all. If it's toggled on, it will continue to search for it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Heya!

So I use an apple watch as my heart rate monitor along with cyclemeter as my main cycling tracker on my phone. I find that's good enough, in general, but I'd love to have them integrate into a handlebar display of some sort. I looked at the older Wahoo RFLKT a few years ago, but it seemed to be buggy as hell and had issues I didn't think were worth dealing with.

I like the idea of a computer that I can mount, will talk to my cell phone for data, will talk to my apple watch for HRM, and also has good GPS capabilities.

Does anyone here have an apple watch working with one of these? What's the experience like? Thanks in advance for any input -

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't have an Apple watch but do use an iPhone with the RFLKT+ on one of my bikes and it works great. It was a little "buggy" at first but Wahoo was very quick to respond to any issue I had with either a "work around" because they didn't have a fix yet or a fix for the problem. In fact I like it way better than the Lezyne Y9 Super GPS (first gen) I bought last year, which I have had nothing but issues with. I think I am going back to using my RFLKT with all my bikes unless Lezyne comes up with some miracle fix. I really wish I would have bought the Wahoo Elemnt instead of the Lezyne.

SS-
    2015 Felt AR3 upgraded to Ultegra 6870 Di2
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Apex -Just about how I want it
    2005 Iron Horse MK3 Expert - many years of trail duty and still my go to Mt. Bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Ah well. Asked via email - from Wahoo:

I am sorry but the ELEMNT will not pair to an Apple watch. It will pair to all fitness sensors but not watches.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just clicked buy on a BOLT (purchasing via clevertraining.com helps to keep DC rainmaker in business) and just like that my hate/hate relationship with Garmin is over.

Bye bye horrible undeveloped apps, interface, bugs, lost rides, glitches, gooooood riddance! My unit and a very nice bar fly mount is off to eBay (always in silicone case, never abused, not much use).
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I would suggest 3M protective tape on the screen of the Elemnt (and presumably Bolt), if you plan to ride in muddy conditions. Wiped the screen in a rainy, muddy gravel grind, and now my screen has a huge scratch. Didn't even wipe hard...the screen is very easily scratched.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Hi,

Related to navigation, can you use offline maps and send the route to the device? For example, you are in another country and you want to use navigation but you don't have data available on the phone. With navigation i mean, search a place and the app creates the route to send to the Element bolt.

And is it possible to use the front mount with a deda 35mm handlebar?

Thanks in advance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Aero:
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/05/...o-testing.html

A) The BOLT was the fastest bike computer against the “leading competitor”
    B) The BOLT would save you “12.6 seconds in a 40KM time trial”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by atm0013 View Post
    Hi,

Related to navigation, can you use offline maps and send the route to the device? For example, you are in another country and you want to use navigation but you don't have data available on the phone. With navigation i mean, search a place and the app creates the route to send to the Element bolt.

And is it possible to use the front mount with a deda 35mm handlebar?

Thanks in advance.
    I'm not positive, but I would be surprised of the mapping function of the phone worked without data. I don't think the phone can store offline maps.

To get a definitive answer, I would suggest sending an email the Wahoo and ask them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Picked mine up earlier today and love it! In regards to the Bolt, the shop received 10 free-stock units today and they vanished within 1 hour. Their phones have been ringing off the hook for these things. Looks like Garmin in trouble......

Quote Originally Posted by pittcanna View Post
    I will find out tonight, the element is in shipment to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I'm not positive, but I would be surprised of the mapping function of the phone worked without data. I don't think the phone can store offline maps.

To get a definitive answer, I would suggest sending an email the Wahoo and ask them.
    Thank you for your answer, i'll try with wahoo as suggested.

Just to clarify a bit, this is possible for example with google maps. You can store a zone and use that zone offline to search an create a route (only for cars routes, at least in my zone)

I'm trying to decide which gps to buy after my old one starts to feel really outdated. In the past i gave up with garmin after several problems in different devices i had but I think this is almost a mandatory function if you like to ride in another countries, going to the alps, pyrinees or such kind of travels and you don't have data there.
    Last edited by atm0013; 05-04-2017 at 11:02 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    App and Firmware (and livetrack website) updates for Elemnt/Elemnt Bolt today

Adds a much improved live track function, along with some new privacy settings and a few bug fixes

ELEMNT Software Updates – Wahoo Fitness Support

ELEMNT SOFTWARE UPDATES
    18 July 2017
    ELEMNT WF42-1507

ELEMNT LIVE TRACKING UPDATE. MORE DATA & PRIVACY CONTROLS

• The Live Track site now shows more data including your breadcrumb trail, route, live ride data and charts.
    • You can continue to share your permanent link, though we have introduced a new temporary link that will expire at the end of the day. Once expired, the link will no longer be able to track you.
    • The link that is auto-posted to Facebook, Twitter and email is a temporary link that will expire at the end of the day.
    • You can manually expire all your links (both permanent and temporary) as well as opt-out of being shown as a 'nearby rider' on other people's map page.
    • Any previous links you have shared with your friends and family have now expired. You will need to share new links with them.

OTHER

• Fixed an issue where starting certain routes on KICKR would cause a 100% resistance command sent to KICKR
    • Fix issue where the ELEMNT would auto-switch to the lap page if the lap page was disabled in the companion app
    • Fix an issue where ELEMNT would forget your gear’s teeth-count configuration
    • Improved translations
    • Improve Strava Segment notifications so long Segment names properly resize to maintain readability

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    How do you get the bolt to upload a Strava ride to the Strava app? I linked the account in the bolt settings but after my ride tonight I don't see it on the app, only if I log into the Strava webpage account.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    If your activity is on Strava's website, it's on your mobile app as well. They both use the same back end data.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    If your activity is on Strava's website, it's on your mobile app as well. They both use the same back end data.
    here's what I submitted to Strava:

Hi,
    I have two issues:

1. Been using the mobile app/android phone to log cycling rides and can view my rides and other friend's rides on the app, but my rides cannot be accessed when I log into my Strava web based account. There is no record of any rides after logging in.

2. just started using the Wahoo Bolt cycle computer and linked to my Strava account. This is being used to replace using my Strava mobile/android option above. Last night's ride was synced to my Strava account, but the ride cannot be seen in the Strava app. The only way I an see it is logging into the strava web version.

It's almost like I have two separate profiles. Is there a way to merge the above such that I can see all activity on the Strava app and web version?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789