Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 201 to 211 of 211

Thread: Wahoo ELEMNT

  1. #201
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    Ok.. here's another question for you guys. How do the Elements handle multiple bikes? I have multiple bikes, each with their own sensors. With my 510, I had multiple bike profiles with each profile set up to connect to the sensors on that bike. On my 820, Garmin uses what they call a "sensor pool" which basically means I connect all of the sensors to the unit and it automatically figures out which ones to use as I ride the bike and the sensors wake up. How does the Element and Bolt handle this? Thanks in advance.
    I don't have experience with multiple bikes/sensors, but the Google group I'm on says it works fine (remembers all sensors). It does not, however have multiple bike profiles like Garmin.

  2. #202
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,116
    The Elemnt uses a sensor pool. It doesn't have the concept of 'bike profiles'. Whichever sensors are active (from your pool) are the ones that will be recording.

    If you have multiple sensors (say someone else is riding one of your bikes nearby with your PM or cadence sensor on it), you can easily 'disable' unused sensors with a quick swipe inside the app.

    I have four bikes that I ride regularly, and all of them have either a PM or cadence sensor, as well as a speed sensor. I just make sure I have the sensors I'm using on a given ride enabled in the app, and the rest disabled.

    I also have multiple HRM's that I wear variably. Same goes for those.

  3. #203
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    If you have multiple sensors (say someone else is riding one of your bikes nearby with your PM or cadence sensor on it), you can easily 'disable' unused sensors with a quick swipe inside the app.
    The sensor pool Garmin uses on it's new units is one of my gripes with them.

    The problem I have encountered is this:

    Some bikes have power/cadence sensors such as Stages.
    Some bikes have separate power and cadence such as Powertap hub and Wahoo cadence sensor.

    When using a new Garmin (520, 820, etc) with a sensor pool, if I grab a bike with a Stages, the entire ride the unit will constantly continue to search for a stand alone cadence unit. All the while, the unit is displaying cadence via the Stages.

    So you say, by taking out a phone and going into an application you can disable a sensor, fine, but does the Wahoo constantly search for them needlessly like the Garmin? It's shown on the Garmin by a blinking icon in the pool.

    By the way, I bought a brand new 520 and after a week or so basically threw it in the trash, never going to use that junk.
    use a torque wrench

  4. #204
    Crank Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    The Elemnt uses a sensor pool. It doesn't have the concept of 'bike profiles'. Whichever sensors are active (from your pool) are the ones that will be recording.

    If you have multiple sensors (say someone else is riding one of your bikes nearby with your PM or cadence sensor on it), you can easily 'disable' unused sensors with a quick swipe inside the app.

    I have four bikes that I ride regularly, and all of them have either a PM or cadence sensor, as well as a speed sensor. I just make sure I have the sensors I'm using on a given ride enabled in the app, and the rest disabled.

    I also have multiple HRM's that I wear variably. Same goes for those.
    Good to know... I figured that was the case, but didn't see it mentioned in any of the reviews. It was probably already covered in the original Elemnt reviews.



    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    The sensor pool Garmin uses on it's new units is one of my gripes with them.

    The problem I have encountered is this:

    Some bikes have power/cadence sensors such as Stages.
    Some bikes have separate power and cadence such as Powertap hub and Wahoo cadence sensor.

    When using a new Garmin (520, 820, etc) with a sensor pool, if I grab a bike with a Stages, the entire ride the unit will constantly continue to search for a stand alone cadence unit. All the while, the unit is displaying cadence via the Stages.

    So you say, by taking out a phone and going into an application you can disable a sensor, fine, but does the Wahoo constantly search for them needlessly like the Garmin? It's shown on the Garmin by a blinking icon in the pool.

    By the way, I bought a brand new 520 and after a week or so basically threw it in the trash, never going to use that junk.
    Interesting... I have basically the same thing going on with my bikes and can't say that I've ever had that issue. I've got a Stages PM reporting power/cadence and speed sensors on both of my road bikes. I also have a speed and standard cadence sensor on my Fatbike. The 820 always seems to get it right.
    ___________________________
    2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador

    www.Crankaddicts.cc

    www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

  5. #205
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: pittcanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    Ok.. here's another question for you guys. How do the Elements handle multiple bikes? I have multiple bikes, each with their own sensors. With my 510, I had multiple bike profiles with each profile set up to connect to the sensors on that bike. On my 820, Garmin uses what they call a "sensor pool" which basically means I connect all of the sensors to the unit and it automatically figures out which ones to use as I ride the bike and the sensors wake up. How does the Element and Bolt handle this? Thanks in advance.
    I will find out tonight, the element is in shipment to me.

  6. #206
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,116
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    Good to know... I figured that was the case, but didn't see it mentioned in any of the reviews. It was probably already covered in the original Elemnt reviews.

    Interesting... I have basically the same thing going on with my bikes and can't say that I've ever had that issue. I've got a Stages PM reporting power/cadence and speed sensors on both of my road bikes. I also have a speed and standard cadence sensor on my Fatbike. The 820 always seems to get it right.
    If a sensor is toggled off in the app, it won't search for it at all. If it's toggled on, it will continue to search for it.

  7. #207
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    98
    Heya!

    So I use an apple watch as my heart rate monitor along with cyclemeter as my main cycling tracker on my phone. I find that's good enough, in general, but I'd love to have them integrate into a handlebar display of some sort. I looked at the older Wahoo RFLKT a few years ago, but it seemed to be buggy as hell and had issues I didn't think were worth dealing with.

    I like the idea of a computer that I can mount, will talk to my cell phone for data, will talk to my apple watch for HRM, and also has good GPS capabilities.

    Does anyone here have an apple watch working with one of these? What's the experience like? Thanks in advance for any input -

  8. #208
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: SilverStar07's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    153
    I don't have an Apple watch but do use an iPhone with the RFLKT+ on one of my bikes and it works great. It was a little "buggy" at first but Wahoo was very quick to respond to any issue I had with either a "work around" because they didn't have a fix yet or a fix for the problem. In fact I like it way better than the Lezyne Y9 Super GPS (first gen) I bought last year, which I have had nothing but issues with. I think I am going back to using my RFLKT with all my bikes unless Lezyne comes up with some miracle fix. I really wish I would have bought the Wahoo Elemnt instead of the Lezyne.

    SS-
    2015 Felt AR3 upgraded to Ultegra 6870 Di2
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Apex -Just about how I want it
    2005 Iron Horse MK3 Expert - many years of trail duty and still my go to Mt. Bike.

  9. #209
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    98
    Ah well. Asked via email - from Wahoo:

    I am sorry but the ELEMNT will not pair to an Apple watch. It will pair to all fitness sensors but not watches.

  10. #210
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 9W9W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,301
    I just clicked buy on a BOLT (purchasing via clevertraining.com helps to keep DC rainmaker in business) and just like that my hate/hate relationship with Garmin is over.

    Bye bye horrible undeveloped apps, interface, bugs, lost rides, glitches, gooooood riddance! My unit and a very nice bar fly mount is off to eBay (always in silicone case, never abused, not much use).
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

    LOLOLOL

  11. #211
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    257
    I would suggest 3M protective tape on the screen of the Elemnt (and presumably Bolt), if you plan to ride in muddy conditions. Wiped the screen in a rainy, muddy gravel grind, and now my screen has a huge scratch. Didn't even wipe hard...the screen is very easily scratched.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Similar Threads

  1. Any Wahoo Kickr Deals?
    By BantamSLK in forum Hot Deals
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-24-2014, 08:35 AM
  2. Wahoo/Strava discrepancy?
    By skhan007 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-19-2014, 12:10 PM
  3. Wahoo SC Blue
    By ycastane in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-03-2014, 08:41 AM
  4. any deals on a wahoo kickr?
    By madduck in forum Hot Deals
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-12-2014, 03:24 PM
  5. WAHOO RFLKT is now available.
    By DIRT BOY in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 04:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •