Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wahoo ELEMNT

RoadBikeReview Member

Wahoo ELEMNT

Just saw the announcement for this. TL;DR version, it does everything the Garmin 520 promises (and then some) but with what sounds to be better integration with smartphones (and presumably less bugginess). It won't be available until the winter, but I think it sounds like a slam-dunk for under the tree, at least for me.

Wahoo’s new GPS bike computer–ELEMNT: Hands-on first look | DC Rainmaker

Forever a Student
    Looks nice.
    use a torque wrench

banned
    Jul 2013
    If it does Di2 integration, I might get my first ever such device. (I've never even had one of those odometer thingies with the peg on the wheel.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ditto
    "When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments."
    -Elizabeth Howard West

Never use your face as a brake pad.”
    -Jake Watson

Höchstgeschwindigkeit
    Just started looking at the 520 until this surfaced. Going to give this a hard look too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I finally bit and placed my order. It's started shipping for the early adopters, hopefully I won't have to wait too long to receive mine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    It does SM02 as well... Might have to pick one up.. Sell my 810 that gets no use .

banned
    Jul 2013
    The website mentions iOS and iPhone, but not other devices like iPads. I'm hoping it will work with other iOS devices. Anyone know?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I got the 'your order has shipped' email.

I'm a bit irked that they don''t sell additional mounts on their website. Well, that's not entirely true. They do sell the K-EDGE XL with the ELEMNT insert in it, but it only comes in Wahoo Blue (blegh).

Someone from their support site told me that they are going to publish the 3D printing file for the insert, which should fit in any standard out front style mount.

The package will come with three mounts. An out-front style, and stem mount, and aero bar mount. I'd like the option to purchase extras of the out-front style like those included (K-Edge are nice, but pricey).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    is it the same as the garmin? I have Canyon H11 bars so I'm very limited.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    The insert is different than Garmin's. I'm pretty sure there was licensing issues with them using the same mount.

However, if you have a K-Edge, or something similar, with a removable insert, you can just replace the insert in your existing mount. The problem is, Wahoo isn't selling the inserts. You have to buy an entire new K-Edge, and it only comes in Wahoo Blue. The support person I spoke to told me that they will be putting the 3D printing data file online for the insert, so maybe someone set up to print them, or selling through shapeways can sell us some. =)

Forever a Student
    Looks to me like it's just a Garmin one rotated 90 degrees.

I would use a Garmin mount and break the tabs on the Wahoo and install a Dogears.

A k-edge mount broke a tab on my Garmin so I had to install a Dogears or something like it. Works great and there's no risk of the aluminum breaking.
    use a torque wrench

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    DC Rainmaker was able to get it to fit into his standard Garmin mounts with a little extra push, but thinks this may result in broken tabs from prolonged use.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 Specialized Allez Comp
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

Re-Cyclist
    Someone send them a vowel.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I emailed K-Edge about the ELEMNT mount availability. Here is the response they sent me.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Edge Support
    We do have those available in Black and Gunmetal as well as Combo mounts in Black. These are not available on our website yet but we are working on making that happen. Let me know if I can help further.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Eyes View Post
    Someone send them a vowel.
    I'm probably dating myself (not that anyone else would):

Clinton Deploys Vowels to Bosnia

(originally appeared in The Onion, Number One In News)
    Cities of Sjlbvdnzv, Grzny to Be First Recipients

Before an emergency joint session of Congress yesterday, President Clinton announced US plans to deploy over 75,000 vowels to the war-torn region of Bosnia. The deployment, the largest of its kind in American history, will provide the region with the critically needed letters A,E,I,O and U, and is hoped to render countless Bosnian names more pronounceable.
    "For six years, we have stood by while names like Ygrjvslhv and Tzlynhr and Glrm have been horribly butchered by millions around the world," Clinton said. "Today, the United States must finally stand up and say 'Enough.' It is time the people of Bosnia finally had some vowels in their incomprehensible words. The US is proud to lead the crusade in this noble endeavour."

The deployment, dubbed Operation Vowel Storm by the State Department, is set for early next week, with the Adriatic port cities of Sjlbvdnzv and Grzny slated to be the first recipients. Two C-130 transport planes, each carrying over 500 24-count boxes of "E's," will fly from Andrews Air Force Base across the Atlantic and airdrop the letters over the cities.

Citizens of Grzny and Sjlbvdnzv eagerly await the arrival of the vowels. "My God, I do not think we can last another day," Trszg Grzdnjkln, 44, said. "I have six children and none of them has a name that is understandable to me or to anyone else. Mr. Clinton, please send my poor, wretched family just one 'E.' Please."

Said Sjlbvdnzv resident Grg Hmphrs, 67: "With just a few key letters, I could be George Humphries. This is my dream."

The airdrop represents the largest deployment of any letter to a foreign country since 1984. During the summer of that year, the US shipped 92,000 consonants to Ethiopia, providing cities like Ouaouoaua, Eaoiiuae, and Aao with vital, life-giving supplies of L's, S's and T's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    My Elemnt came today.

I am pleased with the physical aspects of the unit. The size, display, buttons, etc.. are all as expected (pretty good).

I'm a little disappointed with some of the software stuff. Not a huge suprise that there are some bugs, at least for me

I could not get any routes to sync (I might just need to give the system more time to sync to my accounts?). Every time I pressed the "Sync" button, nothing would happen. It just kept looping back to the screen showing no synced routes. The Android app crashed on my a couple of times when trying to get routes to sync (I might have been jamming buttons a little to fast in my impatience). I also noticed in the 20 minutes I was playing around trying to get stuff to work, and playing around with the data screens, my phone battery went from 70% to 60%. Hopefully this isn't indicative of how the battery performs under actual riding conditions.

I paired most of my sensors, but for some reason one of my Stages PM's was not detected, and it isn't detecting either of my Di2 D-Fly units.

I only had about 30 minutes to play with it before I had to leave. I put it on the charger for tonight. I'll play with it some more tomorrow.

Looking at the weather forecast, I probably won't be able to take it outside for an actual test for at least a week or so, but I may be able to play around with the KICKR control stuff if I can get a route to sync from Strava or RideWithGPS.

Edit: I should add that while the few bugs are annoying, they aren't deal breakers at all. I really liked the user interface as a whole. So much better usability and readability in both the unit and the phone app over their competitors. I'm pretty excited to get it out on an actual ride and see how it performs.
    Last edited by Migen21; 03-09-2016 at 09:43 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I posted a review on the ELEMNT users Google group I created showing some good things and where it doesn't work as well as the Edge 500:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/waho...o/fURd6LN_FAAJ

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post
    I posted a review on the ELEMNT users Google group I created showing some good things and where it doesn't work as well as the Edge 500:

Excellent review, thanks for taking the time to post it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Got my "your order has shipped" email today! Can't wait to get my hands on this thing!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Can't wait to hear some more reviews!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I finally resolved my Route sync issues. I had to do a device reset, then connect it to my WiFi and do a firmware update.

I'm fairly disappointed in the featureset at this point. Particularly the fact that I can't control the KICKR with a pre-recorded ride. This is one of the features I really wanted.

Also, it's more of a nice-to-have, but the Di2 integration is still not live. It's due in the next firmware update. Hopefully that'll drop soon.

I'm also a bit concerned about battery life for both the unit and the phone. I have only played around with it at home (no outdoor rides yet), but just syncing my routes,configuring my sensors, setting up WiFi, etc.. took 25% of my phone battery.

I really like the app interface (at least on my Android - LG V10). It's much easier to configure the settings and set up screens that way.

I'll be taking it out for a couple of rides this weekend. I'll report back on the batter life and usability stuff after that.

Edit to add:
    Here is the link to the software updates page on wahoo's support site.
    ELEMNT Software Updates ? Wahoo Fitness Support

A lot of the features I wanted are in that update.

ELEMNT WFXX-XXX - Coming Soon!

• Added support for Di2 gear and battery display.
    • Added support for Muscle Oxygen sensors (eg. Moxy and BSXInsight)
    • Added support for 9 new languages. French, Dutch, German, Korean, Japanese, Spanish, Chinese (Simplified), Italian, Portuguese (Brazil)
    • Added Smoothed Torque field
    • Added LED & Audio alerts to Lap events
    • Added better audio alerts for pause/resume.
    • Added new battery icon when ELEMNT is on charge
    • Added support for latest KICKR firmware (1.4.40.0)
    • Added KICKR no-control mode for when using with 3rd party software at the same time
    • Hide Map and Climb page when connected to a KICKR and not in Route mode.
    • Improved consistency in AVG/MAX/LAP titles
    • Improved support for latest Wahoo Cadence (>=2.0.16)
    • Improved auto-pause logic to remove false pauses.
    • Fixed with with temperature readings being 5C/9F too high.
    • Fixed 0 average speed and average power values on display.
    • Fixed crash when quickly cycling through workout pages
    • Fixed pairing ANT+ HR when >25 sensors are in range.
    • Fixed KJ value being 4x too high.
    • Fixed reporting of ELEMNT version to companion apps.

Past Updates:
    ELEMNT WF38-164 - 25th Feb 2016

• Fixed false auto-pauses on some sensor dropouts
    • Fix for Polar BT sensors

ELEMNT WF34-162 - 12th Feb 2016

• Improved speed of workout transfer to companion app.
    • Improved handling when you lose/forget your speed sensor magnet.
    • Removed LED function override when pairing a power meter.
    • Removed TSS/KJ fields override when pairing power meter.
    • Fixed Bluetooth connection stability to phone and sensors
    • Fixed Bluetooth error causing required reboot
    • Fixed network communications on some wifi networks.
    • Fixed reconnection of ANT+ Speed & Cadence sensor.
    • Fixed crash when stopping sensor (ANT+) discovery.
    • Fixed issue with temperature sensor starting.
    • Fixed crash when closing the route menu.
    • Fixed FIT file not visible up on USB after ride.
    • Fixed crash when importing route from ride history (via companion app).
    • Fixed crash when finishing very long workout (8+ hours).

ELEMNT WF29-142 - Initial Release

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    Can't wait to hear some more reviews!

I updated mine now that I've done side-by-side comparisons and successfully imported data into Golden Cheetah

It turns out the ELEMNT over-reports 5 second power (generally 20%, but can exceed 50%) and synthesizes values where sensors reported 0 power/speed/heart rate.

Here's a chunk of recovery ride from this weekend. Note what the ELEMNT exports as a .FIT file for a traffic light stop around 3 minutes

Auto-pause is turned off as it should be.

versus what my Edge 500 recorded
    Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 03-15-2016 at 11:39 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Received mine today. Very slick Apple-esque packaging, happy with the overall design aesthetic, functional yet clean. Not sure if it's been mentioned previously, but all the buttons are rubberized.

Pairing the device with my phone, WiFi, speed and cadence sensors, HR sensor was dead simple and went without a hitch. Same for the page customization. Hopefully my balky knee will cooperate and I will get to take my new toy out for a spin this weekend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Finally got out for a ride today and was able to give the ELEMNT a go. First the good, then the bad.

PROS:

Beautiful, crisp, easy to read display.
    Button integration is logical and easy to use
    Pairing went well
    Page customization is easy and intuitive
    Customer support is great, which leads me to the cons and why I know this.

CONS:

Dropped sensors:
    Lost my HR (Polar), cadence (Topeak) temporarily, and my speed (Topeak) almost entirely. When I uploaded to Strava, my segment speeds were there, but average for them as well as the entire ride were WAY off (~10MPH less). There were times that the speed was displayed, by my estimation, correctly. But more often than not it showed either nothing (0 MPH) or a progression of 3-5 MPH, which coincidentally (again by my estimation) was about 5x less than my actual speed. I was able to get the speed to register correctly after coming to a full stop, but it would quickly disappear again.

GPS Issues:
    This was my regular route of just over 16 miles, the ELEMNT lost 10 of them. Not sure if this was related to the speed sensor issue or not, but it happened nonetheless.

Battery life:
    This ride took just over an hour and ate up 25% of the battery, a far cry from the purported 20+ hour battery life.

Cyclemeter:
    Isn't supported at this time, which is weird considering the REFLKT did.

Ride titles:
    Defaults to 'Lunch Ride', haven't seen anywhere to change that.

While I expected to experience some level of bugginess as an early adopter, this is excessive, and IMO, unacceptable. Thankfully, Wahoo support has been very communicative in dealing with complaints so I am hopeful that I will see some resolution to these problems soon. But as of now, this expensive bike computer is, for me, being outperformed by my $4.99 premium version of Cyclemeter.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast