Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtnroadie

Wahoo fitness bike pack for iPhone 4S any good?

I searched the net but there seem to be few objective (non-wahoo generated) reviews for this product.

I am getting an Iphone 4s, and I want to use it as a cycle computer and a map guide. It seems like the best product out there as a solid iPhone mount and cadence sensor in one.

My usual ride is a 2-3 hour hammer fest. So I am hoping battery life wont be an issue.

Anyone use one of these?
    How long will your battery last if you run the screen and both maps and the Wahoo app?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I have been thinking about getting one of these as well and I am curious to hear from those who have the Wahoo Fitness already.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

Another Biased Review...

I hope somebody gives an objective review. But I can't help myself... I ride a lot and founded the company because I thought riding with my iPhone on the bars would be awesome and I couldn't believe nobody else was doing it. The case works well, you can pick the App you like. There are lots to choose from. Our App lets you send your data to multiple sites at once, like Garmin Connect, MapMyRide and Strava. With a 4S you should have no problem with 3 hours, but you'll need to start with a full battery and you'll end up with a low battery. I always use the spare battery we sell, because I ride in the morning and I can finish a 3 hour ride with a fully charged iPhone. That tends to be a better way to start the day for me.

Chip from Wahoo

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have had mine for about 2 months now and honestly love it.....it has solved the issues of where to stick my iPhone when I ride. It reads all of my sensors and has an easily readable display. I like that I can upload to Garmin Connect and get all my data, charts, etc. For me it is a no brainer.......your going to take you phone with you anyways, why not strap it to your bar and get some use out of it. I am thinking of getting the extended battery pack.....probably worth the money, but it's a little steep for me right now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Chip, any chance of some type of discount i.e. a group buy discount?

mtnroadie
    Chip, thanks for the feedback, looks like a great product, just fairly new so there arent too many reviews yet.

I ride with my iPod alot so having my iPod, GPS maps, cycle computer w/ cadence and iPhone all in one is ideal. A holographic display would be nice, Apple....

It does get pricey with the extra battery and cadence sensor. The battery life is a bit of let down but I dont ride that long anyways.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I took up riding again about the time Apple released the iPhone 3GS and I made a mount to use my iPhone on the stem. Back then I used (and still do at times) Motion GPS app to track all my rides and email them to friends who followed my weight loss program, since then I have bought a Garmin 500 GPS cycle computer simply because of much longer battery life than the iPhone which tends to be around 4-5 hours when GPS software is running.

Earlier the year I bought the Wahoo ANT+ dongle (not the mount case), not so much to use it to track my rides but rather as powerful ANT+ diagnostic tool on my iPhone 4S along with their Wahoo Utility App which has proven extremely useful for testing, trouble shooting other peoples issues with ANT+ sensors for speed, cadence and especially Heart Rate straps etc. Also useful for looking looking at other riders data as they pass by on the track.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I just bought the Wahoo package last night through Amazon and it should arrive on Thursday. I can't wait to install it and take it for a test ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just splashed out on the extended battery pack......got it on fleabay for 50 bucks. Will give a report.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Sounds good. I should receive the wahoo fitness package today (didn't get the extended battery) but I would like to know how it is and how much weight it adds. Keep us posted.

EWT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Another happy customer here. I've got the heart rate monitor, ANT+ key and speed/cadence sensor. The Wahoo iPhone app is very good too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    How about making it work on Androids?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Case is iPhone specific.....the plug for the ANT+ sensor in the case is the proprietary iPhone plug.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Can you use an iPod Touch with it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    Can you use an iPod Touch with it?
    Nope.....iPhone 3GS, 4 and 4S only

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I've been using one for a few months now. I generally run strava app in the background and wahoo fitness in the foreground. I turn off wifi but leave 3G on. My phones battery usually goes from full to zero in a little less than 3 hours. With the extended battery when the phone gets to 2% you turn it on and get another 5 hours. I didn't like having a dead phone in some of the remote areas I cycle so apart from now being able to record the entire ride I know I'll still be able to call for help 3 hours in. Worth every penny!

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    A phone is a crappy cycling computer.

There.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Bluetooth technology v/s Ant+ against windy rides. WHICH ONE TO CHOOSE???

Hi there... I have a Garmin Edge 800, but I wish to switch to my iPhone. I know the Edge 800 is top of the art, but the thing is, I am always carrying my iPhone with me, so why not reduce the amount of devices while riding?
    I don't care if the iPhone GPS is not as great as the Edge 800, I don't care if the battery life is less (I always ride 2 hours exactly), etcetera, etcetera..... the only thing I do care is the HR signal against the wind!!!

It always happens that when I'm going downhill (I live in the Andes Mountains, so going downhill I can get up to 90kms/hr easily) or when the day is too windy, then my HR signal gets crazy, and it always goes too high.
    It's not about battery life and I always wash my chest strap after every single ride.

So, it is simply the Wind.
    I used to have a Polar, which was quite good against this issue.
    The Garmin is not so good either in terms of HR signal, but is the best in GPS.

So, back to the Wahoo devices:
    For a quite a while I have been searching on weather to acquire the Wahoo Bike bundle with Bluetooth technology or the older Ant+ technology.

I've been searching everywhere to see if someone posts the real difference in HR signal strength.

Does anyone know which technology is best against Wind and interferences????
    Should I go for the ANT+ bundle or get the latest with Bluetooth technology???

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Hi there... I have a Garmin Edge 800, but I wish to switch to my iPhone. I know the Edge 800 is top of the art, but the thing is, I am always carrying my iPhone with me, so why not reduce the amount of devices while riding?
    I don't care if the iPhone GPS is not as great as the Edge 800, I don't care if the battery life is less (I always ride 2 hours exactly), etcetera, etcetera..... the only thing I do care is the HR signal against the wind!!!

It always happens that when I'm going downhill (I live in the Andes Mountains, so going downhill I can get up to 90kms/hr easily) or when the day is too windy, then my HR signal gets crazy, and it always goes too high.
    It's not about battery life and I always wash my chest strap after every single ride.

So, it is simply the Wind.
    The Garmin is not so good either in terms of HR signal, but is the best in GPS.

For a quite a while I have been searching on weather to acquire the Wahoo Bike bundle with Bluetooth technology or the older Ant+ technology.

I've been searching everywhere to see if someone posts the real difference in HR signal strength.

Does anyone know which technology is best against Wind and interferences????
    Should I go for the ANT+ bundle or get the latest with Bluetooth technology???

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Hi Chip... Great idea of starting this company. I've thought about this for such a long time too, but I just never got the guts or the investors. So I'm very glad someone finally did.Since early last year I've been seeing all your posts, videos, products, etcetera, but I still haven't made the switch, because I have one specific question. I did ask this on your webpage even before your Bluetooth monitor was out there in the market (but you were already promoting it), but it never got answered. So, now I'm back. The question is quite simple: Which HR signal is stronger against wind and interferences, using the Bike Bundle with ANT+ technology, or with the new Bluetooth ????

I have had them all, Polar, Suunto, etcetera... and now am using a Garmin Edge 800, but I really wish to switch to my iPhone only.
    I know the Edge 800 is top of the art, and I don't care if the iPhone GPS is not as great as the Edge 800, I don't care if the battery life is less (I always ride 2 hours exactly anyways), etcetera, etcetera..... the only thing I do care is the HR signal against the wind!!!

It always happens that when I'm going downhill (I live in the Andes Mountains, so going downhill I can get up to 90kms/hr easily) or when the day is too windy, then my HR signal gets crazy, and it usually goes too high.

So, it is naturally the Wind.
    But they dont have yet a good mapping device like Garmin (or iPhone apps)

By the way, the Garmin is not so good either in terms of HR signal strength, but is the best in GPS.

Please give me your personal experience on this.
    Which technology is best against Wind and interferences????
    Should I go for the ANT+ bundle or get the latest bundle with Bluetooth technology???

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    The problem you and I think many others experience with erratic heart rate measurement has nothing to do with the radio technology used between the HR strap and the computer, be that ANT+, Bluetooth or even wifi.

The problem is with how well the particular heart rate strap monitors and filters the minute electrical signals the body creates. The problem with riding in windy (and often dry) conditions combined with the clothing you wear creates a large amount of static electricity, an extranious source of signals confuse the HR strap.

Which strap works better, I can't answer, I have tried Polar, a no name brand, two different Garmin straps and now a Wahoo ANT+ strap which "touch wood" seems to be working well so far.

I have both a Garmin 500 used for most serious rides and a iPhone 4S with Wahoo dongle that is occasional used with the Strava app to record rides.

What I have learned to date is that
    1) the HR strap must be worn tighter than you might think.
    2) Wear reasonably tight fitting jerseys, flapping clothes create more static.

Given a choice, I still far prefer the Garmin over the iPhone because of superior battery life though ride data when I have used both on the same ride are remarkably similar.

Good Luck

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the Wahoo blue Hr (heart rate) monitor. Been using it for one month. Works great. Looking forward to the new blue tooth devices coming out soon from Wahoo. The blue tooth heart rate monitor hooked up fast w iPhone 4S. Using Cyclemeter app. I have many other apps but this app is easy to read while riding. It also voices updates too. Using Velotrac bag to hold it w Lenmar extra battery case. No issues w battery usage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    THAAAANKS and greetings to the Wallabies!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I have the bike pack, run pack, and stride sensor. All of them work great. I like that the wahoo fitness stuff just works. I never have to fiddle around with any of the items or software.

To the founder:
    Please add an other workout ad an optional workout. I want an application that will count calories with no gps movement and upload to runkeeper as other.

Also, a max speed capture would be excellent

Awesome product.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This still depends on your carriers network for GPS? If so, that would be the dealbreaker for me. Bay area is loaded with spots where you can't get jack for a signal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast