RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

Wash Frequency for wool and arm/leg warmers

I've got a sweet Swobo jersey (got it last week and love it - thnx to all the provided the initial wash info). This week I've done three straight hour fifteen minute rides (T W TH) and haven't washed the jersey once. I'm also doing another one today. I do where an underarmour compression baselayer between skin and Swobo. When done riding the Swobo is definately wet from sweat, but not soaking. It also doesn't smell. What is the indicator that one needs to pop the jersey in the wash?

Also, a related question. How often, do y'all wash yer arm/leg warmers? After an hour or so ride, I just turn them inside out, and they seem like they'd be good to go for another couple of similar length rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll toss a plastic jersey in the wash after every ride. My wool jerseys I wash maybe once or twice a season. Same with arm warmers. Even though they can be washed in the washing machine, I tend to wash my wool jerseys by hand with Ivory Snow. They feel better that way.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    You aren't married, are you?

Jerseys & leg warmers=wash after every sweaty ride.
    Arm warmers=less often.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Squirrel Hunter
    Feb 2003

Winter Wear

Well I tend to try and wash my cold weather gear as little as possible. In my mind every time I wash it a little bit of the fuzz/loft is lost in the wash process. However I also think a lot of salty sweat if not good for my garments either. As a result I may wash arm and leg warmers after 4-6 long rides. Outer torso layers every couple of weeks. I do not want to go around smelling like a boys locker room but also want my stuff to last and stay warm. Wash my base layers after every ride.
    Luck is the intersection of preparation and opportunity.

Anti-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by PdxMark
    I'll toss a plastic jersey in the wash after every ride. My wool jerseys I wash maybe once or twice a season. Same with arm warmers. Even though they can be washed in the washing machine, I tend to wash my wool jerseys by hand with Ivory Snow. They feel better that way.
    Same here, but I use the machine when I feel like the wool needs washing.

Wool is magic.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    When the start to stink I wash them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SSChameleon
    When the start to stink I wash them.
    Thanks all. SSC, I think your yard stick pretty much encompasses the others, and makes the most sense to me.

Thanks again!