Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Wasp/bee stings ?

1/2 hr into my ride, a wasp/bee decides that my mouth would be a nice place to visit.
    I spat him out a bit too late and ended up getting stung on my tongue.

It didn't feel too bad in the beginning but I decided to turn back anyway. I had been stung by a bunch of bees on the forehead as a kid and my head balooned and I was out of school for a week. Anyway by the time I rolled back on to my driveway, my tongue was pretty swollen and I had trouble talking.

I popped a couple of anti histamine and 4 hrs later was about back to normal.

Could have probably finished my ride.

Big is relative
    The bag of crap I carry in my saddle bag has the usual, tube, CO2, patch kit, and I carry one of those little asprin tins with motrin and two benadryls. I have been stung enough to know that I present a large target.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

same thing happened to me last week

Quote Originally Posted by heatstroke
    1/2 hr into my ride, a wasp/bee decides that my mouth would be a nice place to visit.

It didn't feel too bad in the beginning but I decided to turn back anyway. I had been stung by a bunch of bees on the forehead as a kid and my head balooned and I was out of school for a week. Anyway by the time I rolled back on to my driveway, my tongue was pretty swollen and I had trouble talking.

bitten in the top back of my mouth - hurt like a bastard

Bikespace member
    a friend was stung in the back of the mouth on a ride and then next day i was bit by wasp, on my forehead at the helmet line. in the same park. this was last weekend.

Call me a Fred
    I hate it when an insect gets inside my helmet vents. I can feel it moving around and although I am sure that it must be some harmless beetle, after a while I just have to stop and remove my helmet to get it out. Usually the insect is long gone, but I could still 'feel' it moving on my head.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Old, slow, and fat.
    I was in the middle of a 4-hour ride when a bee flew in my mouth and stung me on the tongue. MAN! did that farging HURT! If that's what getting yer tongue pierced feels like, no thanks!

I was at the furthest point away from home as I could get and had to ride the remaining 2 hours with a tongue throbbing in time to my heartbeat.

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

A Canadian in Sweden
    Oh man, you guys are giving me the creeps. Maybe I'll have to start riding with my mouth closed from now on . Uussshhh.
    Albert (5 years old) to Uncle Peter (family friend): "Why don't we play another card game, something you can win at."

RoadBikeReview Member

Ouch.. Never got it in the mouth.. Have had them fly in the jersey, proceed to panic trying to get out and sting multiple times in the back usually.

Of course always on hot days as the jersey zipper is way down and they can more easily fly in and get stuck.

RoadBikeReview Member

Hurts just thinking about it

I had a wasp hit me in the side of my head just below the helmet and then sort of crawled up a bit and stung me. I had another one hit me on the lip, the wasp clamped on to my lip and I got a "double-tap" sting...hurt like a mother for about 10 minutes. I am supposed to be allergic to bee stings, so, not taking any chances, I popped a benadryll and basically went all out for 5 miles to the convenience store. I have heard that if you get stung and you are allergic that raising your heart-rate, like sprinting will, can help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My brother got stung in the mouth by a bee as a child. He almost suffocated from the swelling. Don’t take it too lightly.

RoadBikeReview Member

Not taking it lightly

I basically ride out in the boondocks and, if I ever have a severe allergic reaction to any type
    of bite, I doubt that medical assistance would reach me in time. My best bet is to pop a benadryll or two, crank up the heart-rate, and hope for the best. I believe someone on this board mentioned that primeatine mist would work pretty well and no prescription is necessary. The next helmet I get will be a LAS, which has a "bug screen" in it so insects cannot pass through the helmet vents to sting your nogg'n.

your text here
    two weeks ago i got tagged on the right knee by some huge black thing. i have been stung by wasps, bees, horseflies, even a stingray (not while biking), but this was an immediate pulsing. i looked down and there was a big red pucker where the stinger went in, surrounded by a huge red circle of swelling. there was nothing in the skin, but it hurt so bad i almost had to get off the bike. the thing burned and itched off and on for about 3 days. the swelling finally disappeared after 4 days, and i still have a scab from that sting.

and yes, it did happen at the furthest point from home. and right before a climb. they always do.

B2
    You talking to me?

Be Careful

Anyway by the time I rolled back on to my driveway, my tongue was pretty swollen and I had trouble talking.

For years all I ever got was localized swelling... That is until last summer, I was on a climbing trip in the Coast Range in Canada. Middle of nowhere after bushwhacking for five days. Got stung by a single bee and on my arm and took benedryl(sp?) within five minutes. Soon thereafter my breathing got very short, I developed a rash over my entire body, I began to shiver uncontrollably and my vision starting going kind of splotchy black on me. Before it got too bad the benedryl kicked in and I was good as new in few hours. My understanding is that the localized reaction isn't much to get worried about, it's the systemic reactions that can cause some real problems.

I now carry an EPI-Pen in my jersey pocket at all times. Benedryl is good, but it might not act quick enough if you're truly allergic to bee stings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    I have never gotten stung by a bee or wasp while riding, but I have been stung many times. Oddly, most of the time the stings have involved swimming pools. Once, out of a spell of dumb kindness when I was a kid I scooped up a bee that was floundering in the pool water and dumped it on the concrete, thinking it would fly away in a minute. I got out of the pool, and stepped on or too close to the very bee I had "saved." Needless to say, I got stung and feet are not very pleasant places to get stung, especially when you have to wear shoes. I got stung by a wasp on my foot too, also at a swimming pool . I think the worst sting I have had was when I was walking on the beach at Monterey Bay and stepped on a jelly fish that was half buried in the sand. That one stung for a good long time! The jelly fish were washing up all up and down the beach, some very large ones too, over a foot in diameter. It wasn't the little sailor jellyfish either, they were the big ones you think of when you think of jellyfish.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You know you probably got stung by a Yellow Jacket, I have been stung twice while riding and I remember it used to heart like hell. First time I also thought it was something black but second time I had a good look at it before it stung me. My leg got swollen so badly that my family doctor advised me to take an EpiPen with me on my next rides just in case I get an Allergic reaction. This suck because now I am peranoid everytime something flies in through my helmet vents or if I swallow something that I did not see what it was.

Wearing Yellow by chance?

Seems to bring em in.........

Scot
    Scot Gore, Minneapolis

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Just yesterday a bee flew inside my helmet and stung me on the forehead.

Its the first time in my 45 years Ive been stung.

I had no idea it would hurt that bad - wow!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    I get stung at least once per summer sometimes more and my bodys reaction is just the reverse of all that have posted here. I actually get a rush and am energized for at least an hour. There are no signs of swelling at the site of entry just a small pin hole and some minor skin irritation about the size of a dime. Perhaps some medical types who hang around here can tell me why my body appears to "like" a bee sting. I'm taking honey bees here, not hornets, never been stung by one of them.

steppy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Once on the tongue, once inside the jersey. Bees both times. I am not really allergic, but it does add a particular spice to the rest of the ride.

That one on the tongue hurt for about four days...

PW

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had a bee drafting me today. I felt something on my elbow as I was climbing and then saw him back there. Swatted at him and then something (maybe the bee?) was knocking around in my helmet. Then on the way down one hit me square in the nose. Luckily the stinger was the other way I guess, or it wasn't a bee. Then a big bug splatted right into my glasses. It's that time of year I guess.

Thanks for the tip on carrying some advil and benadryl. I've had some pretty bad swelling in the past from bee stings and it certainly warrants carrying a few pills if it could save my or someone else's life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    I was riding yesterday with my zipper down a few inches... something flew into my jersey and stung/bit me. I have three huge itchy red spots right on the left pec, left armpit and one near my belly button. It hurt so bad. The funny thing would have been the cars passing by with me dancing like an idiot wearing tights and a helmet and trying to take off my jersey to get this stupid bug out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006

This happened to me in a race once(ate a wasp). The side of my face swelled right up. Brutal...It took everything i had to finish the race, mentally it did me in. Feels like the dentist did some work.

banned
    I used to keep bees, many years ago. I got stung a lot. Each time I got stung the reaction was a little worse. One day after robbing a hive, I walked back to the pickup and took off my veil, and had one of the little buggers sting me in the neck. About three hours later I came to on an exam table with a saline drip in my arm, shaking like a leaf from the adrenaline the doc had pumped into me. Needless to say, I sold all my hives, shortly after that. Now I carry a syringe full of epinephrine, just about everywhere, in the summer.
    My allergy built up over time. Some are allergic from birth, and one sting can cause anaphylaxis. Let me tell you. The hangover from IM epinephrine, is worse than any three dozen bee stings.

Fondriest Fanatic
    hi all,

about a year ago i was 40-45 miles in to a very hilly 57 miler and got nailed by something through my shorts on my inner thigh. i was already tired, sore and looking forward to getting back to my car - that didn't help any. it hurt like a bastard and just got worse with the sweat in my shorts salting it up nicely. it was sore/itchy for the better part of a week after that.

have fun,
    aaron

Moderatus Puisne
    I'm thankful I don't seem to be allergic at all.

I get stung every couple of weeks in the summer, it seems; the bees love the blackberry bushes I ride near.

2 weeks ago I was stung in the mouth, 3 weeks before that, on the lip. They hurt, but nothing fancy other than that ever happens to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast