Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Wasp in the ear /Is insect netting in helmets worth having

This Monday morning I was enjoying a hard-earned 40mph-ish descent when I suddenly heard an intense buzzing in my ear, the sensation of little claws gripping, and the sharp pain of numerous stings. I managed to maintain control with the right hand as I attemped to kill it with the gloved portion of my left hand, and succeeded in at least losing the little bastard. It made for an interesting remainder of the ride, as I went ahead and did the rest of the planned climbs without having benedryl on hand to combat my wasp allergy, and made it home happy, if uncomfortable.

This situation clearly would not have been affected by having insect netting at the front of my helmet, but it did get me thinking about it. Does anyone have experience with helmets with such nettings, and their potential benefit in action? Or does it end up being more of a liability? It seems to me that if the netting traps the bug, then it is going to be a lot trickier to get the bugger away from your head, and the likelihood of stings on your head would go up.

I am soon to be in the market for a new helmet, and thought I'd see if anyone had any experience with this feature which might aid in my selection.
    Last edited by champamoore; 08-17-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    you could try to ride with one of those

Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    So what happens the next time a wasp gets in your eyewear?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I've had a quite a few bees get in my helmet and a couple have stung me too. You could get a hairnet and use it as a helmet cover, but it would also restrict airflow. But I've also had a few go down my shirt or just sting exposed skin, as you experienced with the sting to your ear. So nothing will be totally foolproof. If you have an allergy, keep some benedryl on hand all the time.

I feel your pain.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Never heard of such a thing. And it doesn't sound very practical. Especially if you're not going to cover your whole body. You can get stung anywhere. If you're aergic you should be carrying an EpiPen and RoadID.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa_Lover View Post

The question here is: over the helmet, or under the helmet?
    ;]

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I'm on it with the RoadID and carrying benedryl (now) - hadn't been stung in 35 years, and was caught offguard.

One example of a helmet in consideration: limar ultralight pro

Obviously it wouldn't prevent the recent incident from recurring, but would it prevent a sting inside the helmet?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    A net will not help you if the insect decides to go for the ears.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by champamoore View Post
    Obviously it wouldn't prevent the recent incident from recurring, but would it prevent a sting inside the helmet?
    Really?

Fecal indicator
    trying to have a contingency plan for every imaginable surprise on the road is pretty futile.

just go ride. if you get a bee or wasp sting every now and then, it's just part of recreating outdoors, htfu and deal with it.

if you're getting stung often, change your route.
    eff all y'all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    just go ride. if you get a bee or wasp sting every now and then, it's just part of recreating outdoors, htfu and deal with it.
    um, i am asking if insect netting in commercially available helmets like the limar serve any useful purpose at all, or is it in fact a liability. that is all.

thanks for your incredibly helpful addition to my knowledge base.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    trying to have a contingency plan for every imaginable surprise on the road is pretty futile.

Unless you're allergic (like the OP). In which case it's kinda hard to HTFU and not die.

My ex wife was allergic to bees. Hadn't been stung in years and the last time she had, it was a minor reaction. Then once we were at a festival and she got stung. She was incoherent almost immediately and within minutes she blacked out. Luckily there was an ambulence there and they gave her epinephrine.

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Unless you're allergic (like the OP). In which case it's kinda hard to HTFU and not die.

My ex wife was allergic to bees. Hadn't been stung in years and the last time she had, it was a minor reaction. Then once we were at a festival and she got stung. She was incoherent almost immediately and within minutes she blacked out. Luckily there was an ambulence there and they gave her epinephrine.
    like you already suggested in post 5, if you're allergic, you should be carrying the appropriate meds.

a silly helmet net isn't the answer to anything.
    eff all y'all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa_Lover View Post

Sweet! I like the high peripheral vision, no ugly frame to have to look through. Wonder if it comes in Team Garmin colors?

PIITWhat?
    I caught a cicada killer in my helmet a couple weeks ago during a descent. Didn't know what it was, but I could feel it moving around. Stopped, pulled off my helmet and out comes the biggest wasp I've ever seen in person. That's when I peed my bibs and fainted.

Though, apparently, they have a wimpy sting. Regardless, I'm glad I didn't have a chance to verify that.

Cool story, bro.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Farmguy
    Aug 2009
    My Rudy Project helmet has a bug netting (inside) , it only covers the top of your head but I have picked several bugs of all kinds out of it after a ride.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Finish your Beer, there are sober kids in India

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I live in San Diego and have been attacked by killer bees twice while on the bike. Two of them got me right on the forehead. Just man up and deal with it. A net sounds ridiculous.

Bacon!
    Ignore the guys who say a net is stupid. I've got the Limar. It works great. Out here in the Sierras bumble bees are everywhere. I've been stung often enough in the hairline and forehead that it finally got annoying and I started wearing a head sweat cover type thing under my helmet. It works good, but I prefer the open air thing, so got the Limar. Works great and for the most part if you have any speed at all they bounce off up and over the helmet. In slower situations the bees are trying to get away from you so they land on it and end up flying off up and over it. Works great.
    “To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”

Bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS-SD View Post
    I live in San Diego and have been attacked by killer bees twice while on the bike. Two of them got me right on the forehead. Just man up and deal with it. A net sounds ridiculous.
    And if you are truly allergic to bees then just die with it!
    “To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by champamoore View Post
    The question here is: over the helmet, or under the helmet?
    ;]
    Thats a great idea, thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS-SD View Post
    Yeah bro, it's just anaphylaxis...deal with it. Wouldn't want to be wearing some silly net when the hot paramedics show up to declare you dead.

Fierce Pancake
    Quote Originally Posted by viciouscycle View Post
    My Rudy Project helmet has a bug netting (inside) , it only covers the top of your head but I have picked several bugs of all kinds out of it after a ride.
    Headlice don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Poast of the Day™.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ok, I did this not for the bugs but to keep the sun from burning me through the air vents. I will not wear a wet rag under my helmet all day. I don't ride a Harley.
    It's solar screen for window screens. For you air flow guys it's not a problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wasp in the ear /Is insect netting in helmets worth having-helmet-netting-008.jpg   Wasp in the ear /Is insect netting in helmets worth having-helmet-netting-007.jpg  

Bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by siclmn View Post
    Ok, I did this not for the bugs but to keep the sun from burning me through the air vents. I will not wear a wet rag under my helmet all day. I don't ride a Harley.
    It's solar screen for window screens. For you air flow guys it's not a problem.
    You can grow lettuce under it also during the hottest part of the year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Both my MTB and road helmets (Alpina brand) have built-in insect netting in the front portion; seems to work well, as do my Oakleys. I did get stung though and it was on the leg, couple of inches above the ankle. Luckily I'm fairly immune to insect bites of most types and all I get is the initial sharp pain after that it's indistinguishable from a mosquito bite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast