Thread: Weird Issue

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016

Weird Issue

I've been improving weekly and adding miles. May I hit 200 miles June I hit 315. Getting more and more "in tune" with my fit and ride. Cadence is up there now.

My last ride was beach side on Long Beach Island NJ. Had to get up at 5am to get a ride in while the kids were asleep. Ended up doing 29 miles.

At some point my pedal stroke felt off. Didn't think much of it. Return ride killed me...it was a 20 mph wind (forecast numbers) that just didn't stop. Post ride I saw my seat was way off. It had moved rearward about half an inch!! It wasn't loose either. What gives?? It's torqued down a little past the Newton recommendation. Anything I can do to the seat rails? It's and Ergo seat with chrome Molly rails. Post is Bontrager stock with the Domane SLR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    My seat nose keeps coming up, I reset it last week and really torqued the front bolt to hold it down.
    The right mirror on my moto will not stay in position.
    I am going to try putting some emory cloth (like sandpaper) in the mating parts and see how they hold.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by biscut View Post
    I've been improving weekly and adding miles. May I hit 200 miles June I hit 315. Getting more and more "in tune" with my fit and ride. Cadence is up there now.

My last ride was beach side on Long Beach Island NJ. Had to get up at 5am to get a ride in while the kids were asleep. Ended up doing 29 miles.

At some point my pedal stroke felt off. Didn't think much of it. Return ride killed me...it was a 20 mph wind (forecast numbers) that just didn't stop. Post ride I saw my seat was way off. It had moved rearward about half an inch!! It wasn't loose either. What gives?? It's torqued down a little past the Newton recommendation. Anything I can do to the seat rails? It's and Ergo seat with chrome Molly rails. Post is Bontrager stock with the Domane SLR.
    That is strange. There is really not much force being placed on the saddle in the fore/aft direction. I 'd remove the seat, inspect for anything wrong, clean the rails and then re-install

RoadBikeReview Member
    Take small amount of clear silicone and mix in some sand. Put it on rails where clamp will sit. Once dried it will not slip again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    That is strange. There is really not much force being placed on the saddle in the fore/aft direction.
    Depends on the saddle specifics, I've had my SMP slide backwards, using a two-bolt micro-adjust seatpost; however, unlike most saddles, the rails on that brand are more angled, and there is a 'kick-up' in the back to keep the rider from sliding backwards while climbing that can be found on other saddles with a curved side profile, although usually less pronounced.

Marking the clamp position on the saddle rails can be useful to check at a glance whether the saddle has moved.

With that said, making sure the second bolt is very tight has prevented the problem from reappearing for me, so far with no consequences for the seatpost.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by biscut View Post
    Post ride I saw my seat was way off. It had moved rearward about half an inch!! It wasn't loose either. What gives??
    If it happens again after trying the above suggestions, check for holes on the wall or floor of your house. Those gremlins can wreak havoc on mechanical things.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Use a little carbon assembly paste between the clamps and rails, that should have enough bite without scarring anything. Also, like oct3 recommended, mark the saddle rails and keep an eye on them.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    Take small amount of clear silicone and mix in some sand. Put it on rails where clamp will sit. Once dried it will not slip again.
    What kind of silicone? Like silicone caulk?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Is this the bontrager post with a plastic insert on each side of the top of the seat post? I had one like this, seat would move around. Finally took everything apart and noticed the two plastic pieces were not lined up correctly with the rails. You have to pop them out of the post to rotate them. Once everything was lined up correctly nothing has moved.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Use a little carbon assembly paste between the clamps and rails, that should have enough bite without scarring anything. Also, like oct3 recommended, mark the saddle rails and keep an eye on them.
    I'll second the carbon paste recommendation.

No need to over torque with it... a little dab'll do 'ya.
    Discover The Source for Legitimate, Patent Technology Muscle, Fitness and Sports Supplements.

Best Pricing on serious cyclist favorites like 'SportLegs', 'Kre-Alkalyn' and 'Burn It Up' with Peak ATP.

https://www.BodyBuildingSupplements.com

Since 1993, Your Success is our success.