Thread: Wet saddle

RoadBikeReview Member

Wet saddle

At RAGBRAI, several years ago, my bike was drenched in an overnight storm. When I took off the next day I kept hearing a squeak, and I quickly determined that it was the saddle. It continued to squeak the rest of the ride, and when I came home I finally replaced it with an extra saddle I had and kept riding. Now my saddle has had several years to dry out and I am going to try it again. I guess I thought at the time that I had somehow "ruined it" with the rain, because it never stopped making noise. Of course I will try it out on the bike, but has anyone had a similar experience---somehow trashing a saddle by getting it wet? Is that even possible? The cover looks fine. It just had this constant chirp as I pedaled. I should point out this is a Regal saddle, which has (I suppose) a plastic base that is covered with leather. It is not a Brooks, or some all leather saddle that one is supposed to keep dry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Chirp chirp

Quote Originally Posted by dombey19 View Post
    At RAGBRAI, several years ago, my bike was drenched in an overnight storm. When I took off the next day I kept hearing a squeak, and I quickly determined that it was the saddle. It continued to squeak the rest of the ride, and when I came home I finally replaced it with an extra saddle I had and kept riding. Now my saddle has had several years to dry out and I am going to try it again. I guess I thought at the time that I had somehow "ruined it" with the rain, because it never stopped making noise. Of course I will try it out on the bike, but has anyone had a similar experience---somehow trashing a saddle by getting it wet? Is that even possible? The cover looks fine. It just had this constant chirp as I pedaled. I should point out this is a Regal saddle, which has (I suppose) a plastic base that is covered with leather. It is not a Brooks, or some all leather saddle that one is supposed to keep dry.
    One likely cause for the noise is where the saddle rails go into the plastic saddle. I have a saddle where I need to dribble a little oil on those junction points and leave the saddle propped up overnight so that the oil will penetrate into the joint. The rails are just slipped into the saddle - there is typically no adhesive in that joint. I find that if I get caught in a rain storm or just after maybe 5K miles there needs to be some lubrication to prevent the noise.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    One likely cause for the noise is where the saddle rails go into the plastic saddle. I have a saddle where I need to dribble a little oil on those junction points and leave the saddle propped up overnight so that the oil will penetrate into the joint. The rails are just slipped into the saddle - there is typically no adhesive in that joint. I find that if I get caught in a rain storm or just after maybe 5K miles there needs to be some lubrication to prevent the noise.
    A quick shot with WD-40 would fix it.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I get this sometimes after rain. Lube the rails and make sure everything is tight.