hi, I'm Larry

What is the best bandage for Road Rash?

It finally happened. I went down in a race. A total self inflict with only me to blame. It was a short four corner crit on paving bricks and after 30+ laps my tires just lost grip and I was horizontal sliding along the bricks at 25+ MPH. I got back up and caught on and finished the race with the lead group, but lost 2 laps. The worst thing (besides losing 2 laps) is I shreaded my favorite jersey. Skin heals but jerseys don't.

I have 4 spots of road rash and am trying different things. On the worst spot on the shoulder I using the tried jumbo bandaid and antibotic ointment, it' ouzing a bit, so I need an absorpent covering. On the light but large spot on the thigh I'm using a large Tegaderm patch my wife brought home from the hospital. Neat stuff. It's a thin plastic material you stick dirrectly on the wound. It's been on for three days and shows no signs of coming loose even with showering. (It's waterproof). Then a small bandaid on the ankle. I'm also have a light spot on the elbow and forearm. I'm using "Liquid Bandage" on this. Neat sprayon stuff that forms a plastic film over and dirrectly on the rash.

So far all methods seem to be working. No infection.

What have you found to be the best thing(s) for road rash?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am old school...after the eschar (scab) dries, I use nothing...the eschar acts as its own bandage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I'm a week out from road rash on my face and I can hardly see it at all... the pigment just looks a bit different. Very different from last Thurs when coworkers said I looked like I had blueberry jam all over my face. I couldn't really bandage my face, so I used an antibiotic cream and kept an eye on it during the day. My hip, on the other hand, looks like it was replaced. I'm not using anything on that either, but it is healing more slowly. I don't like any liquid bandage products. One way or another they "get you." Either they burn going on or burn coming off (some suggest removal with alcohol)... and besides, after a few days, it looks like I'm molting. Now if only the inside of my mouth will heal...

when is it obsession?
    hope you heal up quickly...
    unfortunately, I too had the opportunity to practice my home triage skills recently... I was riding the MTB and a downpour came on suddenly...I was actually having a blast until mile 12 when my rear tire hit a soft patch of mud sending the rear wheel outwards and me over the bars...scraped up my elbow and knee pretty good... The tricky part about having to administer first aid to a wound on a joint, is all the inevitable bending and flexing... well, I ended up bandaging my elbow and used a (clean) tube sock that I had cut the toe part off of to hold it the bandage in place... Apart from the occasional Allen-Iverson-wannabe comment, it worked remarkably well!

big bob
    "Oz was wrong: a heart should be judged by how much one loves...not by how much one is loved by others..."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003

Tegaderm

Look up a product called Tegaderm, made by 3m. It's this clear film that you put over your road rash. You keep it on for several days, sticks well enough so that you can shower with it, etc. It ends up looking really disgusting, but it works fantastically well. Does its job by keeping the road rash moist (with the ooze that oozes out). But after a few days, you'll have new skin there.

Nice thing about tegaderm is that it will stick to itself. So if you have a huge patch of it, take several sheets of it and stick 'em together.

Go Blue

Duoderm

Last year I used a product called Duoderm for major road rash on my upper thigh. The Tegaderm bandages sound like they are a similar product. From the same crash, I had a smaller and less severe patch of road rash on my arm. I used neosporin and traditional bandages on my arm. The thigh road rash healed much faster and left a far less significant scar than the arm road rash even though the thich road rash initially was much worse.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Squirrel Hunter
    Feb 2003

Joe Namath wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Rthur2sheds
    The tricky part about having to administer first aid to a wound on a joint, is all the inevitable bending and flexing... well, I ended up bandaging my elbow and used a (clean) tube sock that I had cut the toe part off of to hold it the bandage in place...
    Well it is really hard to find a medical supply store open on Labor Day weekend in Detroit (Gross Pointe area). A quick trip into the local grocery store found the following supplies: gauze pads, antibiotic ointment and pantyhose. For that elbow grab a package of knee high pantyhose and cut the toes out. The hose were almost as effective as the cool netting the pros use and less conspicuous.

Bike Addict

tagaderm

anothre vote for tagaderm, that stuff is amazing!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Ok............ I used tearderm for a reallly nasty hip bruise. yes, it works great
    the only negative is that it keeps all that ooze in there (which is why it works so great)
    and it might leak out at the wrong spot. as the one reader said, make sure you cover it really well . my injury was 4" wide and it sucked but if it's smaller than that stuff is amazing. good luck

Go Blue

Leakage

Quote Originally Posted by TRITHIS
    Ok............ I used tearderm for a reallly nasty hip bruise. yes, it works great
    the only negative is that it keeps all that ooze in there (which is why it works so great)
    and it might leak out at the wrong spot. as the one reader said, make sure you cover it really well . my injury was 4" wide and it sucked but if it's smaller than that stuff is amazing. good luck
    You may have some leakage with Tegaderm/Durderm if you don't cover the entire thing. But, it is better than the leakage I had the day I returned to work after my crash -- the day before I learned about Duoderm. The road rash on my upper thigh/butt was about 4 inches wide and eight inches long. I had traditional bandages (and two pairs of undershorts) over it. Within about 30 minutes of my being in the office, one of my partners came in, closed the door and told me that the entire back part of my pants were wet. I was in so much pain that I did not even notice the leaking. But, my coworkers did -- and were very grossed out by it.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002

Another vote for Tegaderm or the like

Tegaderm or the like. Works beautifully though not cheap

hi, I'm Larry

Update -Tegaderm wins hands down

Tegaderm is amazing stuff for road rash.

My large light patch of roadrash on thigh healed in about 5 days with Tegaderm. I had a deeper shoulder scrap. I started with tegaderm but switch to gauze and antibodic ointment for a few days until the ouzing stopped and then back to tegaderm. it was healed in about 8 days. I switched to Tegaderm on the ankle and it was also healed in about 8 days.

I used liquid bandage on a couple of fairly light patches on the arm (too hairy for Tegaderm to stick). They are still scabbed over and taking their sweet time to heal.

Next time I will use Tegederm, even if I have to shave the wound to use it.

We have a fairly good supply, but can you buy the stuff over the counter? I'm going to make certain to have that stuff around. Great for road rash!

Quote Originally Posted by bimini
    It finally happened. I went down in a race. A total self inflict with only me to blame. It was a short four corner crit on paving bricks and after 30+ laps my tires just lost grip and I was horizontal sliding along the bricks at 25+ MPH. I got back up and caught on and finished the race with the lead group, but lost 2 laps. The worst thing (besides losing 2 laps) is I shreaded my favorite jersey. Skin heals but jerseys don't.

I have 4 spots of road rash and am trying different things. On the worst spot on the shoulder I using the tried jumbo bandaid and antibotic ointment, it' ouzing a bit, so I need an absorpent covering. On the light but large spot on the thigh I'm using a large Tegaderm patch my wife brought home from the hospital. Neat stuff. It's a thin plastic material you stick dirrectly on the wound. It's been on for three days and shows no signs of coming loose even with showering. (It's waterproof). Then a small bandaid on the ankle. I'm also have a light spot on the elbow and forearm. I'm using "Liquid Bandage" on this. Neat sprayon stuff that forms a plastic film over and dirrectly on the rash.

So far all methods seem to be working. No infection.

What have you found to be the best thing(s) for road rash?

banned
    Jan 2004

Anybody see the story about using silicone caulk?

I don't remember where--maybe Rivendell--but a couple of years ago I read a story about using sheets of silicone caulk as bandages for large areas. It was written by a physician, and he recommended (all this is from memory, and thus to be verified before use) flowing the stuff out onto a cookie sheet over some Pam spray or silicone spray, letting it cure, peeling it up and cutting it to appropriate size. I think the deal was to use it to prevent scarring after the initial wound had started to heal. Might still be on the Riv site.

RoadBikeReview Member
    +1 for tegaderm

Got road rash over 3 and a half weeks ago. Wound on knee has not healed. Cycling training and work affected because of replacing bandages daily. Learned that hydrogen peroxide is only good for initial wound but not for daily washing of wound. Also developed bad allergic reaction to neosporin, makes area around wound itchy, red and oozing blisters appeared around area. Now wound looks way worse than originally was. Infection, cellulitis?

Bought tegaderm yesterday at cvs after reading several reviews on a motorcycle forum and nursing forum. Washed wound with soap and water. Dried and applied 2"x2" patch. So far i forget the wound is there. Its like new skin. No pain no itch. There is some light oozing only on one area to allow drainage. Not sure if it should be sealed. During the day a small bandaid can soak it. Before this i had gauze and tape and it soaked through jeans. To make it worse it itched like heck.

Stuff is expensive but sure beats having to tend the wound and scratch. It can be left on for up to 7 days but 3 days seems to be the norm.
    2012 Specialized Tarmac SL3 - Race Black HTC2