RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

What is it with diesel pickup drivers?

That they think it's the height of humor to gear down when passing a cyclist and "crop dust" the cyclist(s) with sooty diesel exhaust. I'd estimate this happens at LEAST half the time I'm passed by a diesel, and this is in metro Denver. It's happened at least two or three times in the last fours days alone.
    Last edited by OldChipper; 07-27-2012 at 09:32 PM.
    A road bike needs disk brakes like a fish needs a bicycle (with apologies to Ms. Dunn)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I usually get trouble from the jacked-up Chevys all the time. Diesels are usually pretty cool around here.

Unrepentant Mountainbiker
    Penis trucks! The drivers are insecure and intimidated by you.

Feel sorry for them.
    It's no fun unless it hurts!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    yes, unfortunately the ranchers around here in far west Texas have a tendency to do that to us. It actually doesn't bother us at all, we all wave at them anyways. They tend to think of us as tree huggers who don't like pollution, when in fact most of us drive cars and ride road bikes as exercise.
    They don't mind tractors slowing them down, but really get upset with us.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Let's not over-generalize our stereotypes too much. We drive an F-250 diesel (it's my wife's primary driver) in our rural county. It pulls our fifth wheel as we travel about the western U.S. As I ride our roads, I find most pickups extend great courtesy, giving me more than my share of the road. Sure, there may be jerks, but their other cars could be a Prius.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
    Let's not over-generalize our stereotypes too much. We drive an F-250 diesel (it's my wife's primary driver) in our rural county. It pulls our fifth wheel as we travel about the western U.S. As I ride our roads, I find most pickups extend great courtesy, giving me more than my share of the road. Sure, there may be jerks, but their other cars could be a Prius.
    They can drive whatever they want as far as I'm concerned so long as their freedom of expression stops short of the end of my nose. My issues are that the crop dusting usually follows a way too close pass plus of course, I have asthma so diesel exhaust isn't my favorite thing (nevermind that the particles typically have carcinogens generated from incomplete combustion condensed on them).

Plus note I said about 50% not 100%. Hardly a generalization.
    A road bike needs disk brakes like a fish needs a bicycle (with apologies to Ms. Dunn)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    We call it the black lung here in Utah. I try to blow it off as someone who has not matured yet. It is frustrating how close they have to get while doing it though.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    I teach classes related to heavy duty trucking and transportation.

Alot of my students drive these types of trucks and most if not all of them are prety weak.
    I refer to their tucks as "Little rigs" that really gets them going. They dont like anything being refered to al little.

RoadBikeReview Member
    They're like, hey! I have carbon too! We're so much alike!

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    I'd estimate this happens at LEAST half the time I'm passed by a diesel, and this is in metro Denver. It's happened at least two or three times in the last fours days alone.
    Some of these "crop dustings" could be inadvertent. I often drive a casually maintained diesel pick-up and when nailing the pedal to make a quick pass of a group of cyclists, I could have dusted them without me wanting to or even noticing. For some reason, the tailpipe on my truck (Dodge) sticks out the right side of the truck—perfectly placed to choke cyclists. Not sure if this is true of other makes of diesel pick-ups as well.

But yea, there is something to this compensation thing. You see many diesel pick-ups around here sitting in front of a store and uselessly idling on and on, just like (or so they think) the big boys with the 18 wheels.
    Last edited by wim; 07-28-2012 at 03:59 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    LiveLeak.com - Cummins Diesel vs Bicyclist!!

On a fishing site that I frequent, this is considered a great video, and people try to emulate the action whenever they have the chance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OGR8 View Post

On a fishing site that I frequent, this is considered a great video, and people try to emulate the action whenever they have the chance.
    After seeing this I will never complain about the drivers around here.

Burn fat not oil
    Oct 2011
    Around my town they always give PLENTY of room unless there high schoolers
    Burn fat not oil
    I ride everyday

Not a rocket surgeon.

We had a guy doing that to our group once. About 10 miles up the road his teuck was parked outside a bar. I unpluged his crank sensor. She will run no more. Or at least untill inbred Jed figures it out.

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    That they think it's the height of humor to gear down when passing a cyclist and "crop dust" the cyclist(s) with sooty diesel exhaust. I'd estimate this happens at LEAST half the time I'm passed by a diesel, and this is in metro Denver. It's happened at least two or three times in the last fours days alone.
    I'm going to chalk this up to attribution error.

For example, ask any policeman or ER nurse, and they'll tell you about 'the full moon' bringing out the crazy in people. But look at the records, and it's not there. It's just that when there is a full moon, they have something to mentally attribute it to, and a connection is made.

Here, the diesels accelerate to pass, just like every other vehicle. But when they accelerate, it shoots out a plume of noticeable smoke. You make the connection and determine it's something they are doing 'to' you, but in fact all they are doing is getting down the road.

Now, maybe they pass too close. But that's not about the diesel or the P/U. But the size and noise make more of a mark in your brain, so again it's 'all them'. But if you kept close track, you'd find that there are jerks driving in pretty much equal proportion to the vehicles on the road. You just notice them less.

I'm pretty sure that work trucks (plumbers, HVAC, yardmen, etc.) have the worst record among vehicle types. But hey, time is money, right? And, it's probably my own attribution error.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Diesel is some fairly nasty stuff. It does not seem right to allow that amount of pollution.

Bring the pain
    Jul 2012
    It's not Diesel pickup trucks exclusively. But like a previous poster said, they make more of an impact on your senses so they make more of an impact, so they appear more aggressive. Here in Central Illinois, 99.9% of the drivers are great. They give plenty of room. But the other 0.01% scare the heck out of me. They pass on an uphill without being able to see if it is ok to pass.

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
    Diesel is some fairly nasty stuff. It does not seem right to allow that amount of pollution.
    There's a bit of a fooler there. There are more particulates so it 'looks' worse, but those settle out fairly quickly. The atmospheric impact is somewhat better than gasoline engines on a per-hp basis.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

Sweet Potato Kugel
    I would image that there are less regulations on diesel vehicles verses gasoline. The pick-up crowd love to add more horsepower to their diesel engines too. I see them on rides with stove piped size exhausts. It's a fad. I do notice this a lot more in the countryside. The diesel crowds like to juice up the mixture [air-fuel] and lay down a greasy cloud. If they keep it up they'll cook their pistons, crack a head or destroy a turbo with high exhaust gas temperatures from their over fueling. Just a matter of time. LOL

It doesn't bother me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Over Fueling
    Diesel Smoke tells YOU a Story…
    A diesel engine in good condition should produce no visible smoke from the exhaust, under most operating conditions. A short puff of smoke when an engine is accelerated under load may be acceptable, due to the lag before the turbocharger speed and air flow is able to match the volume of diesel injected into the cylinders. That would only apply to older technology diesel engines, but with modern type diesels, no smoke at all should be evident.

They're doing this crap on purpose. Not just "crop-dusting" you, but belching black smoke. It's "cool" to blow black smoke.

How do i get my diesel truck to shoot black smoke out of my stacks?

I see diesel trucks often the shoot black smoke out of there pipes or stacks. I was wondering how they get their trucks to do that. I do know that they can somewhat do it when they want. Dont know much about trucks. So....How do i get my diesel truck to shoot black smoke out of my stacks?

How do i get my diesel truck to shoot black smoke out of my stacks? - Yahoo! Answers

96powerstrokediesel

My Photos: (0)
    Feedback Score: 0 reviews

how do i make my 96f250 7.3 black smoke more

i was wondering is anyone knows if the 10k resistor mod is good? will it make my truck black smoke more? please let me no thanks

how do i make my 96f250 7.3 black smoke more - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

etc, etc.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    We had a guy doing that to our group once. About 10 miles up the road his teuck was parked outside a bar. I unpluged his crank sensor. She will run no more. Or at least untill inbred Jed figures it out.
    haha nice work

banned
    Apr 2008

Imagine that. . .

On a fishing site that I frequent. ..
    Holy sh&t that is sickening. What a pack of knuckle-dragging rednecks. No coincidence you found that on a fishing site. Fishing is a redneck/blue collar past time like spotlighting deer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You guys want diesel fumes? I used to live in Manhattan. Try riding home down 2nd Avenue at rush hour and breathing all the bus fumes. You'll neve complain about rednecks again.