RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007

What does biking work out?

Besides being a good cardiovascular work out, what muscles does cycling work out?

And what should be worked out separately (i.e. in the gym) to improve cycling ability?

thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Ive started working out my core and upper at the gym, it seems to have helped. Other than that I dont know what officially is worked out while cycling but I guess it works to just ride and then see what feels like its been worked. I noticed after doing chest/abs/back has kept me feeling comfy on long rides. Also the triceps seem to get worked alot since those are what your forward weight tends to get held up with.

Two scoops of inertia.
    core, especially lower core. working those muscles can promote proper form. At least for me I neglect those exercises and I sense that I strain because of it. lower back to some degree as well. Possibly inner quads to avoid mal-tracking kneecap/patellofemoral syndrome.
    "Do I need to tell you what the f*ck you can do with an aluminum tube? ALUMINUM!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    This chart is pretty cool to see what is being worked and when. However, I'm not sure if it was adapted to account for clipless pedals or not.
    Last edited by threesportsinone; 10-24-2008 at 11:50 AM.

Ka Mate, Ka Ora
    Not to mention your shoulders, delts and lats for out of the saddle work.
    The unguided missle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

My fingers

From pulling my Visa card in and out of my wallet.

MTT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    One thing is certain (in my case at least), if you are going to ride hundreds of miles a week, you have got to fit in weight lifting type exercises. I find that doing squats, push ups, sit ups, lat pulls and a few others a couple times a week really helps keep the knees from complaining on long rides. Also as you get older a little Yoga every day helps................MTT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002
    All I know is since adding at least 2 to 3 hours a week of weight training I am now able to keep up with the strongest of the group I ride with. Out of the saddle climbing has also been improved. These exercises include multiple sets of push ups, crunches, bicycle crunches, sit ups, iso-lateral dumbell pulls (great for strenghtening the traps to avoid back pain during extended rides), dumbell pullovers for developing the lats, and so on. I tend to do more reps of lighter weights than less reps with heavier ones.

Also make it a point to do the weight training exercises first followed by cardio (cycling on a trainer or on a real bike), apparently this will prevent the muscles from bulking up which is a disadvantage when cycling.

jd3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur
    From pulling my Visa card in and out of my wallet.
    I never thought cycling would work that way. It has made me lose a lot of weight ( in my back pocket)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    I watch pro races on TV and most of them do not have muscular upper body. They all have big legs. My future body shape!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Post number four is great but it neglected to mention the soleus muscle beneath the gastroc (calf). The soleus is strictly responsible for extending your ankle while the knee is bent. This can be exercised by doing seated calf raises with a machine,or seated barbell raises by placing a barbell across your knees and pushing up on your toes.

None of the muscle groups in the color diagram should be neglected. The movements with leg presses is very much like pedaling, working quads, hams glutes and to some extent your gluteus medius as well. Work also on doing knee & leg raises on a roman chair or similar set up. This works the hip flexors very well. If you raise your knees above the horizontal it will also work the abdominal. don't forget the quad machine, hip abductors and adductors and of course the hamstrings. I find the cable machines are great for leg kick-backs and for working the abductors/adductors too! As mentioned by others it is also important to work the core so I do pull-ups, sit-ups, push-ups and dips. If you are looking to change things up some, try the stair stepper (brutal!) but it is great for developing power for climbing! Getting bored? -- go for a run for something different.

It all makes a difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    all very interesting posts.

Are there any muscle-bound cyclists out there? I haven't seen any and I'm wondering if it's because more muscle might add extra weight. I would think that if someone like Dorian Yates or...any other body-builders hopped on a bike, with training, they'd be pretty damn fast.
    no?

No team-cest unless 8+!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikejungle

Are there any muscle-bound cyclists out there? I haven't seen any and I'm wondering if it's because more muscle might add extra weight. I would think that if someone like Dorian Yates or...any other body-builders hopped on a bike, with training, they'd be pretty damn fast.
    no?
    There is a cat3 in my area that's pretty fast. Used to be a body builder. Damn fast. And a former NYJet. I think he's a 2.

I don't know about the NYJet, but the former body builder can't climb too well. However I would NEVER write him off as slow.

I ain't tiny either. I'm ~190. I like to think I'm not slow too. haha. Most of my mass is in my upper body. Kinda sucks though, even though I'm lean, I can't take my shirt off at the beach anyway because of the horrible tan lines.

For president!

no?
    More weight is not good for cycling. The only muscular cyclists are track cyclists.

I'm also not sure why a body builder would be a natural cyclist. Having really strong muscles is not the same as having a powerful heart and lungs and good endurance.
    Formidable Pharmacologically

hello
    When I run regularly I see quite an improvement in my cycling performance, especially in endurance.

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Quote Originally Posted by SilasCL
    More weight is not good for cycling. The only muscular cyclists are track cyclists.

I'm also not sure why a body builder would be a natural cyclist. Having really strong muscles is not the same as having a powerful heart and lungs and good endurance.

Right now I am trying to undo the years of weight training. Yes powerful legs are great in a sprint but I can't keep that speed up for any length of time and forget it going up hills. i am focusing mostly on endurance and not on my upper body at all. While it is almost impossible to reshape a body unless via illness (Armstrong) I hope to at least drop some weight off the upper body and increase my endurance a great deal.
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

RoadBikeReview Member

no?

A friend of mine is pretty well built-up. He did two rides before committing to ride an MS-150 with me and he hung the whole way. He sprints like a manic, even uphill. He is already dropping other "roadies". I attribute his efforts to his strong legs and stamina and his form must just come naturally.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, if you do not want to bulk up, do the weight training first THEN do the cardio or ride the bike right after.... not the other way around.

This technique will increase your endurance and threshold for pain but will not add muscle bulk. It will actually result in less weight because your muscles will develop (but not bulk up) which will increase your body's metabolism.

Developing (but not bulking up) the core and upperbody (shoulders, back and arms) is a great way to improve climbing ability (out of the saddle) and sprinting ability.

Again weight training THEN cardio right after... you will maintain the leanness but your endurance will increase. I usually do 2 sessions of weight training a week (1.5 hours each) followed immediately by an hour of interval training on my trainer. I ride the bike the other 3 or 4 days (unless it is winter)... one to two days are reserved for rest and recovery.

RBR Veteran Opinionater
    It works out your zest for life.

Escalate. Always escalate.

NewRider
    May 2008
    That's a great ad to promote cycling!

probably wont work in the US since we have ******...

Quote Originally Posted by brujenn
    It works out your zest for life.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008

Question

Interesting visual aid. I see it in my calves. I feel it in my thighs. I didn't know about hamstrings, glutes, and hip flexors.

Is that it though? Is there any abdominal workout? How about any upper body toning?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

no?
    the gent that won todays tour stage, marcus burghardt, defintely lifts and has very strong upper body. seems like the sprinters have more upper body musculature and the climbers are more on the scrawny side. generalizations i know..