• 01-28-2014
    darwinosx
    What is the latest on Garmin 510 reliability?
    I need a new GPS for a new bike having had the Garmin Edge 500 for a few years. Considering getting the 510. But there are a lot of bad reviews and comments out there. Now that it has been out awhile have there been sufficient software upgrades to make it reliable?
  • 01-28-2014
    Typetwelve
    Quote:

Originally Posted by darwinosx View Post
    I need a new GPS for a new bike having had the Garmin Edge 500 for a few years. Considering getting the 510. But many there are a lot of bad reviews and comments out there. Now that it has been out awhile have there been sufficient software upgrades to make it reliable?

I just bought my first Garmin and I went with the 500. I did a ton of reading on the 510 a basically saw what you have...lots o issues at the moment. It seems it takes Garmin a while to get a product lined out. If I were you, I'd keep the 500 for now.
  • 01-28-2014
    cxwrench
    I had a 500 for ages and got a 510 about 6mos ago. Not one single problem. I use it regularly w/ h/r & power. I now have a Virb Elite and it controls that too. Far as I'm concerned it works great.
  • 01-28-2014
    dysfunction
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Typetwelve View Post
    I just bought my first Garmin and I went with the 500. I did a ton of reading on the 510 a basically saw what you have...lots o issues at the moment. It seems it takes Garmin a while to get a product lined out. If I were you, I'd keep the 500 for now.

The good news is, it's generally firmware that fixes em.
  • 01-28-2014
    frdfandc
    I've had my 510 for around 6 months. I use it on my mountain bike with the speed/cadence sensor. Zero issues.
  • 01-28-2014
    darwinosx
    I should mention that I want to keep the 500 on one bike and either put another 500 or a 510 on the other bike.
  • 01-28-2014
    HyperSprite
    1 Attachment(s)
    My 510 works fine for basic things, since 2.80 it has not locked up or frozen. Batter life seems good, display is dim but seems easy enough to read in the day time, in the house or from dusk to dawn, it needs the back light turned on.

That said there is currently a bug with 2.80 where if you are using a course (either to follow, use for elevation data or virtual partner) it will drop about half a second every 30 seconds. The result is an 8% shortage in calculating the distance traveled. So if you ride 108 miles, the Garmin 510 and Garmin Connect will say 100. If you upload the activity to Strava and look at the speed, you can see the drops that occur throughout the ride. Looks like this: (keep in mind this is time trial effort, it should be pretty flat for speed and instead it looks like teeth)
    Attachment 291555

I am sure they will fix it, somebody bumps that issue every day on the Garmin Edge 510 board, it is just a matter of time.
  • 01-28-2014
    kbwh
    My 510 works just fine on 2.80. Haven't tried the course function yet, though.
  • 01-29-2014
    mvk20
    Mine has worked fine too. I believe the aforementioned issue only appears if you're following a preset course that you've loaded onto the unit. If you just go for a ride, all of the data appears to be reliable. I think the 500 might be more polished in terms of all features working exactly as advertised, but I really like the screen on the 510 and the ability to upload rides wirelessly using bluetooth and my phone's Garmin app, so I went with this over the 500. I'm hoping the course bug gets fixed, as it's still relatively early in the product's life cycle, but if not, for me those couple of new features were more important than the courses. I'm treating it as a feature the 510 doesn't have, but might get in a firmware update.
  • 01-29-2014
    robnj
    6+ months with my 510 and no issues to date. I too have not used the course function.
  • 01-29-2014
    brianb21
    Mine works fine also. I really like it and was not hard to set up at all.
  • 01-29-2014
    darwinosx
    I guess I will give it a try over another 500. But need to buy somewhere that it can be easily returned or exchanged. There is such a wide variation of opinion on the 510 that I can only assume quality control is lacking so you may get a dud. Thanks for the replies so far...keep em coming! I'm sure I am not the only one wondering what the latest is.
  • 01-29-2014
    Buzzatronic
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperSprite View Post
    My 510 works fine for basic things, since 2.80 it has not locked up or frozen. Batter life seems good, display is dim but seems easy enough to read in the day time, in the house or from dusk to dawn, it needs the back light turned on.

That said there is currently a bug with 2.80 where if you are using a course (either to follow, use for elevation data or virtual partner) it will drop about half a second every 30 seconds. The result is an 8% shortage in calculating the distance traveled. So if you ride 108 miles, the Garmin 510 and Garmin Connect will say 100. If you upload the activity to Strava and look at the speed, you can see the drops that occur throughout the ride. Looks like this: (keep in mind this is time trial effort, it should be pretty flat for speed and instead it looks like teeth)
    Attachment 291555

I am sure they will fix it, somebody bumps that issue every day on the Garmin Edge 510 board, it is just a matter of time.

Sadly this has been an issue for many months and makes the courses feature useless if you care about accuracy (which I think most people who bought a 510 do care about). :(
  • 01-29-2014
    darwinosx
    Yeah it shouldn't take months to fix these things. I can get a 510 online for $280 at WesternBikeWorks, maybe i will just go for it and return it if it doesn't work out. Garmin is making this hard when it should be easy.
    If you read the DC rainmaker review he is still saying recently in comments to just stick with the 500.
    Follow up - I went ahead and ordered the 510 for $280. I'll report back on how it works out for me. I just got the base unit.
  • 01-29-2014
    Clipped_in
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    My 510 works just fine on 2.80.

Me too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    Haven't tried the course function yet, though.

I tried a 50 mile course last weekend for the first time. It work great.
  • 01-29-2014
    darwinosx
    Well once I get it I'm going to install the update first thing before I even set it up. Assuming the latest isn't on there which it probably isn't. Then I'm going to through each bit of functionality to make sure it works. Any issues it's going back. Garmin must have lost a ton of money on all the returns prior to getting decent firmware. I still see plenty of people on the latest firmware with issues so I am wary of their quality control.
  • 01-29-2014
    Redley78
    My 510 is working great since i bought it a few months ago. I had to update the firmware to 2.80 and still working fine except for the bluetooth feature.
    I am using copymysports (garminsync) to upload via bluetooth to strava, but it seems like it is rarely working.
    For people that are using strava with their 510's, is there any other reliable methods for uploading your rides besides using a usb cable?
  • 01-30-2014
    adjtogo
    I bought a 510 bundle, and had a very difficult time trying to set it up. I had so many problems, I deemed the unit defective and just sent it back for a refund.

The HRM wasn't recognized by the 510. I tried numerous times to get it to work. No luck.

Cadence sensor wasn't recognized.

The elevation changed 5' when I merely slid the 510 from one part of my desk to another as I was working on the settings.

The touch screen is very finicky. There's some basic information you'll need to enter such as your height and weight and such. When I went to touch a certain number, a different number appeared. I tried touching the screen in several locations before I actually got the number I needed.

The backlight and display are very poor. Very dim.

The directions that came with the 510 are very vague and poorly written. There are no step-by-step directions. But I did get directions in five other languages...

The Garmin website for support isn't helpful at all. Again, very vague and poorly designed.

The button on the left side to make the backlight go on and to turn the unit on/off was very stubborn. I couldn't imagine how it would be when I was pedaling.

When I pushed the start button, the time started immediately, not when I'm rolling. That's not going to do me any good. I want pedaling time, not a stop watch time.

I should mention that I had had a 500 I used for several years without any problems. I sold it in anticipation of the 510 working properly. Needless to say, I'll either buy another 500, or possibly an 800. There's a few places out of my area I'd like to go out of town to ride, and it would be nice to have the map feature.

I'm glad some here haven't experienced a problem with their 510, but for me, I wouldn't recommend it.
  • 01-30-2014
    mikerp
    Based on your stance at this point I would not have bothered.
    We have 2 510's (10+ months), with no issues (Using HRMs, Garmin Sensors, Powertap, SRM, Bont speed sensor), running multiple bike profiles, Haven't tried all the functions, but didn't buy them for those either.
  • 01-30-2014
    darwinosx
    Ugh...too many stories like yours. I'll see how it goes and just return it if I have any issues. What a debacle for Garmin. This has to be costing them tons of money in returns and reputation so you would think they would do something about their hardware quality control and software issues. There seems to be not many viable alternatives to Garmin since people with issues with the 510 end up getting a 500 to replace it.
  • 01-30-2014
    adjtogo
    Sometimes, big name companies spent millions of dollars to develop a product, then set a deadline for production, then distribution. Sometimes, products like these aren't fully tested and proper adjustments made in the firmware and defects not fixed before they go out to the general public. Then, now there's tons of these 510's not working properly because of them being rushed out, thinking they're going to get their ROI. But, as it turns out, they'll lose even more money. Look at Windows 8 and what a mess that was. And there was one out before Windows 7 came out that was a mess too.

It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to program a computer. It should come with specific step-by-step directions that are written in plain English and show pictures and arrows on what to input.

And as far as the support on their website, that definitely needs more work. It should have simplified directions on exactly what to do.

Good luck.
  • 01-30-2014
    darwinosx
    The thing is Garmin should have plenty of experience with hardware and software having made GPS units for cars for a long time. When I see something like this I suspect they are cheaping out on manufacturing and software development in order to increase profits. Quality control in manufacturing costs more. Software development quality and testing costs more. The 510 has been out long enough people should not still be seeing these issues. Contrary to what some people are saying software can't fix everything if hardware is lacking.
    The only alternatives I know of to Garmin are the new Cateye GPS but I've had issues with Cateye's being dead out of the box too. Also Timex has a solution that looks problematic as well. Now I see Polar has something that might be interesting but too early to tell.
    If people haven't see the DC Rainmaker website definetly go there and read his excellent reviews and followups. He is recommending people stick with the 500 by the way.
    DC Rainmaker
    Garmin Edge 510 In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker

He also did a visit to Garmin and asked them about all these issues.
    An In-Depth Visit Behind the Scenes at Garmin Headquarters | DC Rainmaker
  • 01-30-2014
    looigi
    I don't know if been mentioned yet, but with all the appropriate caveats, a good place to check is the official Garmin users' forums:

https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?20-Cycling
  • 01-30-2014
    mikerp
    Quote:

He also did a visit to Garmin and asked them about all these issues.
    An In-Depth Visit Behind the Scenes at Garmin Headquarters | DC Rainmaker

You do realize this article is from April/2013.
  • 01-30-2014
    mtor
    Quote:

I need a new GPS for a new bike having had the Garmin Edge 500 for a few years. Considering getting the 510. But there are a lot of bad reviews and comments out there. Now that it has been out awhile have there been sufficient software upgrades to make it reliable?<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/mNkDb" vspale=0></iframe>

<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/D4ZyEq" vspale=0></iframe>

I've had the 500 for years and dont think ill be replacing it any time soon