Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

What tights/pants do you guys use in the winter?

Since it's starting to get cold here, I've been looking for some winter tights for the coming months. Last winter I used some canari's which I wore with some old descente shorts underneath. The crappiness of both chamois when combined worked but I wasn't satisfied.

I just ordered a pair of canari gel cycle tights from REI and was pissed when I got them yesterday and they had nearly the same crappy chamois.

So what do you guys ride in the winter? This past spring/summer I've come to love the sugoi RS shorts, so i would love to find something comparable. As is obvious, I'd prefer to find something with a chamois included and then put on some leg warmers when it gets super cold, but if you guys think its better to ride with the regular shorts and chamois-less tights let me know.

So....what do you guys use?

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    IME Performance Triflex Tights are unsurpassed for warmth. They have wind proof fronts. The down side is they're a little bulky, but if you want warm - this is it. The price is right, too.
    Don't believe everything you think.

la dolce vita
    If you can afford them, Pearl Izumi Gavia's are killer. Warm, yet breathable. I have never been cold or sweated in these. They are pricey though.
    insert witty comment here

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    I've found the Pearl Izumi Thermofleece tights to work for a surprisingly wide range of temps, which is really nice when you start a ride in the cold, but finish when the day gets warm, and you just can't handle legwarmers. They don't have any windblocking, though, for the really cold days.

There are a couple of online companies that are well-regarded by the "icebiking" crowd; foxwear.com, and coldlizard.com. They offer tights in a variety of fabrics, and I think foxwear might do custom stuff for a nominal upcharge.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    What temperatures do you intend to ride in?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I live in arlington, VA and I ride all winter long. So the coldest I ride in is low 30's. i think my buddy and I might have been insane enough to go out when it was in the upper 20's once.

banned
    Oct 2001
    PI's amfib or gavia plus bibtights would be overkill for you. Anything over 25F and you'll be dying in them. PI's thermafleece bibs (as someone mentioned already) work quite well over a wide range of temps.
    I usually use them when the temps go between 25 up to about 40 degrees-- btw, I've used thermafleece tights and bibtights since 1998-- I currently have 1 pair of tights and 1 pair of bibtights, neither w/ a chamois as my commutes to work in nov. and march can start w/ temps in the low 30's on the way in and the ride home can be 60-75 degrees- I just use a pair of bibshorts underneath. I do have a pair of gavia plus bibtights w/ a chamois and the PI chamois, while not my top pick, are certainly more than comfy enough for a 5-6 hour ride.

BTW- I ride year round in upstate NY-- last year I did a 70 mile ride w/ temps starting around 10-13 degrees and ending w/ temps around 19 (used the amfib bibtights on that one).

Still waiting......
    Feb 2004
    ColdLlizard - www.coldlizard.com

I have a bunch of their stuff for cycling and skiing. Good quality. Great customer service. Not associated with them at all, just a happy customer from their GeckoGear days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

+1 on Thermafleece

Quote Originally Posted by xxl
    I've found the Pearl Izumi Thermofleece tights to work for a surprisingly wide range of temps.
    Agreed. I have regular PI tights for down to the upper 40s, and then the ThermaFleece into the upper 30s.

Rollin' Stones
    +1 on the PI thermafleece tights. They work in a wide range of temps. If it's really cold, I go with leg warmers with my most comfortable bibs, therma fleece tights then a pair of Gore wind/rain cycling pants that I got from Nashbar. Great combo for Iowa winters.
    I want rustlers, cutthroats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con-men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull-dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh**-kickers, and Methodists!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    My PI Thermafleece bib tights from 30-45 degrees are great. To avoid having to wash them after every time out, I got mine without a chamois. I wear my Microsensor shorts underneith.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by envirocrat
    I live in arlington, VA and I ride all winter long. So the coldest I ride in is low 30's. i think my buddy and I might have been insane enough to go out when it was in the upper 20's once.
    Man, I was going to chime in here with my suggestions but looking at the temps you are riding in you would just laugh at what our winter temps are here. it's like 40 all winter long with about a 2 or 3 week dip below that "sometimes".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions. The col d'lizard stuff is appealing based on price.

If you've used this brand, which "model" do you have from this page? http://www.coldlizard.com/cgi/wc.dll...ms~category~30

Do they fit like real tights or are they kind of baggy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I used UnderArmor "cold gear" tights last winter. While it doesn't get that cold, they kept my legs plenty warm on the couple of 38*-40* days I rode. This year I'm thinking of getting a pair of Pearl tights/bibs. That way they'll stay up a little better and also provide a chamois/pad for comfort.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    thermafleece for 35+. I just located a fantastic Louis Garneau longsleeve that feels exactly like thermafleece at performance.
    what other brands fabric parallel pearls thermafleece? Gore? Descente? Performance?
    Is pearl's "micro-fleece" a lighter version of thermafleece, or a replacement for it. I'm not finding shirts/jerseys/ with thermafleece much anymore.
    this isn't hijacking thread, is it? It IS related...

Still waiting......
    Feb 2004
    I like the powerstretch 100's. Good for a wide variety of temps. They're definitely tights, no bagginess to them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrjensen
    Man, I was going to chime in here with my suggestions but looking at the temps you are riding in you would just laugh at what our winter temps are here. it's like 40 all winter long with about a 2 or 3 week dip below that "sometimes".
    And I had the same reaction, from the other end. If the coldest you see is low 30's, it's not too complicated. I'd have one pair of lightweight tights, and one pair moderately heavy. I commute down to about 10 here in New England, so I have a couple levels below that.

And all mine are chamois-less. It's simpler just to wear shorts underneath, and you don't have to wash the tights so often -- as a daily commuter, I wear clean shorts every day, and wash them all on the weekend. With shorts underneath, the tights can last all week.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Like Jim, I wear shorts under tights. Really don;t bother with tights till temp drops to low 40's, high 30's (use knickers instead).

In the temp range you're dealing with, my first choice would be a good pair of wool tights from someone like Ibex. I have yet to find a synthetic fabric that keeps me as comfortable in the broadest range of temps (low 30's to low 50's)

It only hurts if you think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mootsie
    If you can afford them, Pearl Izumi Gavia's are killer. Warm, yet breathable. I have never been cold or sweated in these. They are pricey though.
    +1 on the Gavias. These are the bibs I use when the temp ranges from the 20's to the 40's. Even it the temp rises a bit warmer they do breath and are not too uncomfortable. I'm in search of the bib/knicker to use for the 40-50s range. Thinking about the assos mille knicker. I want something with a chamois.

gh1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I was thinking of buying the PI thermafleece bibs without chamois, this thread clinched my decision. thanks.

Matnlely Dregaend
    I have three sets of Thermafleece tights, one Nashbar, one Sugoi, and one Louis Garneau. They all keep me equally warm, which means I can ride them down to about 20 degrees. Even if it's colder than that my legs are usually fine but my toes start to freeze.
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Brifter" is the coolest cycling word

Nov 2007
    +1 on the PI thermafleece even though I've never used them much below 40.
    My feet go numb before my legs get close to getting cold.

Just don't get the quest tights.
    They're slippery. I feel like I sliding off the saddle all the time.
    And they get caught on the nose of the saddle all the time.
    Most annoying.
    Pass me now and avoid the rush.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    IME Performance Triflex Tights are unsurpassed for warmth. They have wind proof fronts. The down side is they're a little bulky, but if you want warm - this is it. The price is right, too.

+1 Great value.

(The Triflex tights without the chamios are great for nordic skiing and snowshoeing.)

RoadBikeReview Member

None..

The coldest it gets here I mImai when I ride is low 40's. I still wear just shorts.

But on my hands I wear full gloves, a beannie, warm BL, vest, etc. But always shorts and nice thick socks.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by envirocrat

Out of curiousity, what do you wear overall in DC in the winter? I have my tights, winter gloves and booties but I am shopping for a heavy jacket. I have a light Assos jacket now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast