Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

What types of drivers that will NOT move over to give you space??

I don't know how many times I'll be riding on a wide open road (but with no bike lanes), but with 2 lanes per side, or if it's one lane per side then the lane is a very wide one,... with virtually no cars around (because it's early in the morning)... then suddenly a car will pass from behind very close to me.

I was like WTF? Now why couldn't the driver have just moved over a bit into the left lane or better yet why couldn't they have just moved completely into the left lane from faraway?? Are they afraid that by moving a bit, they will be cited? are they afraid that they'll be hit by another car that will magically appear out of nowhere on an empty road? Why are these people so hell bent on NOT moving over?

So who are these types of people?? Everytime something like this happen to me, I've always made a note to identify the type of drivers, and this is my observation:

- old, senior drivers
    - women driver
    - Asian drivers (especially Asian women)
    - Mexican gardeners in their Ford F150s

Furthermore, I've also noticed that these types of drivers are also the same ones who are hell bent of NOT letting you merge into the left lane on the freeway from the onramp, that is, these folks are hell bent on keeping their steady speed and path of travel.

Women and senior drivers are some of the worst because I've seen many times that they actually move into the bicycle path after having passed me. And I think to myself, "Well jeez if they moved in a bit earlier, I'd be road kill. And I've seen this **** happen even when there IS a bike lane. It's as if these people fixate on you and move toward you, similar to how noob motorcycle rider fixate on target.

I notice that the sort of drivers that will generally move over and give you room are the middle aged men. For some reason, middle aged men drivers tend to have this common sense. And if a guy where not give me room, usually it's a ******** wanting to purposely buzz me.

I wanna know if my experience is similar to anyone out there. BTW, I live in Socal, so I get to see a diverse range of drivers. Some of you living in a totally different part of the country may not see much Asian women and Mexican gardener drivers! You guys probably deal with truckers more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I hear ya. I really hate those Mexican drivers. But nothing is worse than if you are middle-aged, gay, Black, and left-handed. It seems that those drivers have it in for us.
    Last edited by rkdvsm; 07-09-2013 at 09:28 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Here's a scary thought...they may not have seen you at all. I've noticed that it's the extremes that seem to buzz me the most, senior citizens and teenagers.

Overtaxed RBR member
    Here in Pa and NJ the number one driver you have to look out for is a guy with a diesel pick up, especially the trucks that have those redneck smoke stacks behind the cab.
    Punk kids and soccer moms are a close tie for second.........
    ....work is something I'm forced to do between riding and fishing

RoadBikeReview Member
    Most of the bad drivers where I live are xenophobes. Damn them.

Fecal indicator
    larger SUVs driven by women.

sorry girls, but it's the truth...
    eff all y'all...

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    If there's a double / solid yellow line indicating "no passing," many of those are drivers afraid to break the law by crossing the double / solid yellow line. Others are drivers who have never even noticed you. And as you observed yourself, some are casual drivers who unknowingly point their vehicles at the object they're looking at. Some people buzz you on purpose, but that's fairly rare.

I can't agree with your categorization. I've been buzzed by all sorts of people. You learn to deal with it. One way is to imagine you're in the Tour de France and are being buzzed by team cars. If you do get to ride the Tour, you'll be used to it. :-)

banned
    The biggest jerks always seem to be driving Black vehicles with tinted windows. Don't ask me why, but they like to gun the engine as they pass. There are so many pricks out there.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post

Yeah, I hate them and it's even worse if they are lesbians. The lesbians have it in for us guys.

Team Chili
    Apr 2011
    For me here in the lower peninsula of Michigan, senior citizen women have been the worst offenders I've noticed. I have had a lot of close calls with them over the years. Enough so that I'm hyper-sensitive for it if I happen to be riding around church time on Sunday mornings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't notice who is driving because they are whizzing by me at 80-100km/hr., but I find the faster they drive the less they move over.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Maybe it because I'm young, but I do enjoy weaving through cars when I'm downtown.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bad drivers buzz me or move all the way into the other lane as if I'm going to magically turn left right in front of them.

Good drivers leave me about 3 feet to 5 feet of space and if we're near a right turn, they slow down and take the turn in front of me instead of whizzing past, then turning right in front me.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 1c3y View Post
    Maybe it because I'm young, but I do enjoy weaving through cars when I'm downtown.
    Oh yes, downtown riding when you're young is very rewarding. Even the bad is good: I remember not minding cars sidling up to me because it made it easier to grab a hold of them for a nice pull. Kids doing that was so common when I grew up that there were gruesome posters in schools urging you to "never hold on to a moving car." Had the opposite effect, of course. :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh, my . . . stereotypes. You shouldn't have started this.

You notice what you expect to see. If someone buzzes you who doesn't fit your categories, you forget about it.

There's no pattern, except the drivers who pass too close are technically "schmucks." At least, that's what I always seem to call them.
    Eppur si muove.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisophous View Post
    Don't ask me why, but they like to gun the engine as they pass.
    Actually, best way to pass because it reduces passing time to a minimum. Much scarier is a car starting to pass you, then slowing down to your speed. Unless you recognize them as a friend or relative, get ready for some crazy shlt...

Dr. Buzz Killington
    One would think that any motorist who values their nice paint job wouldn't pass a cyclist so closely as to receive cleat treatment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

Two weeks ago, I had the pleasure of witnessing a really cool, strange cyclist/********motorist interaction.

I was parked at a busy intersection and a redneck in a heavily modified black pickup was yelling at a mentally challenged guy on a department store bought mtb sitting on his bike in the lane behind him. The girlfriend of the DB in the truck was visibly mortified as this macho tool was telling the guy on the bike to get off the road. The guy on the bike calmly and coolly explained that it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk and that he was where he was supposed to be. It was really hot out and everybody in the surrounding cars had their windows open. We all listened as this awesome guy who audibly had some kind of developmental issue played it cool and rational, making this red-faced roidrager look like a complete jerk. That was one of the coolest two minutes I've had in quite a while.

If I'm ever in that situation, I doubt I'll be as friendly and patient as that cyclist was. Next time I get buzzed though, I'll just think of him and smile. (And maybe imagine Mr. Superdiesel's girlfriend telling him she's just realized he's a horrible person too.)

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    One would think that any motorist who values their nice paint job wouldn't pass a cyclist so closely as to receive cleat treatment.
    What a crock. There's no justification for that. And if you're thinking about doing this while still on the bike, you're a fool. Quick way to hit the ground, or worse.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    In my experience (just north of NYC), the worst is anyone driving a Range Rover.

Second is the occasional a*hole in a diesel pickup who intentionally downshifts as he's (always a male) passing you so that a great plume of diesel exhaust spews on you as he passes.

Maybe it's just me, but I've found the OP's "Mexican gardeners in their Ford F150s" to be generally among the most courteous -- waiting to pass until it's safe, giving me me a few feet of space, etc.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bike981 View Post

Second is the occasional a*hole in a diesel pickup who intentionally downshifts as he's (always a male) passing you so that a great plume of diesel exhaust spews on you as he passes.
    Yup, that happens to me all the time and I have to ride into it so it lingers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

Does anybody ever wear one of those "share the road" jerseys?

I can't decide whether wearing one is an opportunity to effect positive change or if it's just a Lycra "kick me" sign.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The truth is only 25% of the people on the road know how to drive, this population sample included. 50% are clueless, and the other 25% are a downright hazard to others. If they didn't give out drivers licenses like candy on Halloween, maybe there would not be a need for such a thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post

... and jibber-jabbering away on their cell phone
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I've noticed they fall into one of two categories:
    - male