RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008

What is your favorite compact crankset for a BB30 bottom bracket?

I just got a Cannondale road frame (CAAD9) with a BB30 bottom bracket and the seller included the threaded BB adapter, but it is not yet installed. I have a Dura-Ace threaded double, but it is threaded. I am considering selling the Dura-Ace on eBay and buying a compact BB30 crankset. What is your favorite compact crankset for a BB30 bottom bracket (or should I just install the adapter and keep the Dura-Ace)?

Steaming piles of opinion
    What are you doing with the rest of the build? If the rest is D-A, keep it. If you're using another group, use theirs.

Yeah, that's mostly fashion statement - but really, it is anyway.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    The rest is Ultegra, so unless, I go with an adapter I can't use all Shimano. I don't care if the crank is not part of the gruppo.

Quote Originally Posted by danl1 View Post
    What are you doing with the rest of the build? If the rest is D-A, keep it. If you're using another group, use theirs.

Yeah, that's mostly fashion statement - but really, it is anyway.

I play for keeps
    IMO the best bang for buck crankset out there is Sram Force. Nearly as light as Red at half the price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    S-Works or Cannondale Hollowgram. Anything else is too heavy or expensive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just built up my C'dale EVO & went with hollowgrams with praxis rings. My 2nd set hollowgrams, can't go wrong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Not sure which BB adapter was included with your purchase, but a friend of mine runs a DA crank utilizing the Praxis Works adapter (Praxis Works | Conversion Kit) and really likes it. He's had no problems with creaking or slippage. Apparently, it can be removed if you decide to go with a BB30 crank later. Just another thought for ya.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    No, my Dura-Ace is the 7701 standard double crankset 53/39T for Octalink BB. I have looked at a lot of options for the BB30, but for now, I am just going to throw the BB30 to BSA threaded adapter in there with some Loctight 609, and run the Octalink bottom bracket and DA standard double crank for now.

Is the Dura-Ace cranks a compact? If so, I'd use that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    +1 on the Cannondale Hollowgrams. It's pan flat where I live so it's a standard crank until I go somewhere hilly like the Pyrenees when half an hour with the tools turns it into a compact for a fraction of the price of a second crankset.