Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

What's The BEST TAIL LIGHT on The Planet These Days

19K views 29 replies 26 participants last post by  albert1028 
#1 ·
I had a Dinotte 300R tail light and I loved it, but the design of the bracket allows the light to not be secure on the bike. (When I was riding home from work on Tuesday it flew off my bike and I lost the $200 light!).

As I begin my research, I am wondering what tail light is the brightest one out there? I commute in very early morning with total darkness. Price is not an issue, I want the BRIGHTEST light on the market. Light weight is good too. Rechargeable is preferred.

Thanks!

#6 ·
This is what's often difficult in answering these types of questions. We don't know the planned use for the light. If it's only at night, then I would agree that pretty much any tail light is sufficient. However, if you're riding at times when it transitions from night to day the brightness of the light is becomes more important. If you use front and rear lights during the day for safety reasons, you have to have a bright enough one to have it show up. I had to upgrade all my lights to more powerful ones that are visible during the day. I have a L&M Vis180 as mentioned previously and a Cygolite Hotshot for my bikes. Both are very powerful tail lights.

#11 ·
A $200 1,000 lumen tail light? Egads!!!

Gordon Gekko was right "A fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place."

For $200 I'll ride behind you with my Blackburn Flea tail light while waving a flag and yelling at approaching vehicles.

#14 ·
I had a Dinotte 300R tail light and I loved it, but the design of the bracket allows the light to not be secure on the bike. (When I was riding home from work on Tuesday it flew off my bike and I lost the $200 light!).

As I begin my research, I am wondering what tail light is the brightest one out there? I commute in very early morning with total darkness. Price is not an issue, I want the BRIGHTEST light on the market. Light weight is good too. Rechargeable is preferred.

Thanks!
If you want the BRIGHTEST, then the DesignShine DS-500 really is it. On high, it's twice the output of the Dinotte 400R with a highly effective beam pattern... a tight focused spot for extreme distance, and a wide elliptical pattern for off-angle coverage. Other posters are correct though, you don't really NEED a light like this at night. In fact, at night, you have to turn it down to level 3 (Dinotte 400R levels) or lower. This light was really built for unrivaled daytime performance. One thing that is unique, however, is the greater than 90 degree side lighting (from the headlight as well). Gives you about the same side profile as a motor vehicle at night.

I put a lot of time into designing the mount for this light. It's over-engineered to say the least, but I wanted to completely eliminate the possibility of a high-dollar light like this going missing, despite having a quick-release mount. Equally secure on the seat post or seat stay.

Working hard to have some availability after the first of the year. Build progress blog over on the new DesignShineLighting web site. Sorry I can't post the link...

#18 ·
Two best ones for the money are the Blackburn Mars 4 but it eats batteries though it is blindingly bright with 180 degree visibility; and the Cygolite Hotshot which is brighter from the rear then the Mars 4 but not by much, but it doesn't have the 180 degree visibility of the Mars 4, but batteries last longer.

Disclaimer: Of course the above is just my opinion.

#19 ·
I was running a PB tail light model which I can't remember. It worked well for my monthly bike commute.

I then upgraded to the L&M Vis 180 and that thing is a beast. I decided to try and ride a bit more to work and as my schedule fluctuates, I wanted a light that would be effective in dusk and dark. The Vis 180 provides the standard red output, as well as yellow (especially for the sides). The mounting/locking system is very secure.

Luckily, I live in an area where I was able to check out a lot of lights in person. I would suggest the same, if you have the opportunity.

#23 ·
#25 ·
Yes indeedy. And let's be safe out there.

#27 ·
Two new extremely bright USB taillights I know of are the Serfas USL-TL60 The Shield and Performance Bike Axiom Pulse 60 LED Tail Light. Both are 60 lumen and appear to have the same guts and rubber mounting strap. They are killer bright.

#28 ·
Blackburn Mars 3 is an incredible light. Very bright. reasonable price. Bulletproof. Lifetime warranty.

I have had one for about five years. I get about 800 miles of blinking, on a pair of batteries.

Mine has been in the rain more than two dozen times. No issues. Rock solid mount.

#29 ·
I've never found the perfect tail light, but I've had good luck with:
Blackburn Flea (probaby my favorite): tiny, very bright for the size, nice secure steel clip, fairly cheap. Downsides: short battery life, annoying USB charger.
PDW Red Planet: cheap, durable, long battery life, secure mount. Downsides: insecure clip (if not using the mount), bulky and ugly as sin, not very bright.
PB Superflash Turbo: very bright, secure mount, very noticable flash pattern, solid battery life. Downsides: not as cheap as other options, clip is ok but not great.

#30 ·
I'd also check out niteflux.com....just like i've read all over before I decided to buy it, it's like an engineer sample...works well, i've used it in the rain and on the streets of new york. I have the Niteflux White Zone 10 and it is really bright at it's highest setting. If you want the brightest, i'm pretty sure niteflux is one of the brightest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.