Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    A motorcycle accident in front of the office today,the guy ... died in front of me... I wont' get much sleep tonight.
    if you have a large family, you'll have already been to a bunch of funerals. you begin to understand death. it is part of life. you have to embrace it all rather than fear it. you will die one day. everyone you love will die. every poster here will die. the earth, too, will die. and new worlds will be born.

"we're all gonna die. that doesn't make much sense, does it?"
    - john cheever, 'the swimmer'

"get busy livin', or get busy dyin'."
    - andy dufresne

"instead of saying all of your goodbyes, let them know you realize that life goes fast. it's hard to make the good things last. you realize the sun doesn't go down. it's just an illusion caused by the world spinnin' 'round."
    - wayne coyne
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    Why don't you try some off road riding? Mtb, gravel, cyclocross, etc. There are a lot of options out there that allow you to avoid cars and traffic. I can understand your concern. I am definitely feeling less safe out there these days, but I won't give up yet. I do my best to avoid heavy traffic areas. Be safe and good luck what ever you choose.
    In my opinion, this is good advice. I don't have the "fear" of riding on the road, but sometimes I get bored & have to change things up a bit, so if I ride a lot of road, I switch & MTB on the trails for a while, then back & forth. Doing this will still get you outdoors, fresh air & exercise, but without the fear of cars. But, depending on the trails you may ride, you may develop the fear of crashing on your MTB - then riding on the road may look more attractive. Back and forth, back and forth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    this to shall pass.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Bingo. Using NHTSA data (USA), the calculation is that driving has 2X the fatality rate per hour compared to cycling. Yes, you cover more miles in that hour, but many people spend more hours per week in their cars than on their bikes. The number for motorcycling is 8X. And note that around half of bicycling fatalities are either at night or with a DUI cyclist. The numbers for experienced road cyclists are extremely low (lightning strikes, anyone?).
    That's all great but the OP has a heightened fear/phobia of road riding. I don't think trotting out a bunch statistics are going to instantly solve that problem. How many people are afraid to fly despite evidence that its statistically safer than driving?

Neophyte
    Multiple pros hurt badly and even killed in the last year, both during training and racing. The one that gets to me most is Scarponi, killed just near his home after spending time with his family including 1 year old twins. There's a picture of his kids riding on his back that is just haunting to me now.

With an 18 month old in the house, I definitely think about accidents more. Descending has been a bit of a problem for me lately, of course the worrying just makes you worse at it. And I've been nearly zinged by cars a couple times lately as well.

At the end of the day, I do the best I can to ride smart in terms of habits, timing, and location, but the road will always carry some danger to it. The worst I ever got hurt was on a MTB, though (and a friend of mine recently broke his neck doing that as well).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    That's all great but the OP has a heightened fear/phobia of road riding. I don't think trotting out a bunch statistics are going to instantly solve that problem. How many people are afraid to fly despite evidence that its statistically safer than driving?
    yeah, and noting that driving a motorcycle is worse is kind of the two wrongs make a right theory.
    I don't really fear cycling but how it compares to something I will never do would mean nothing to me if I did. I take no comfort knowing someone else is taking a bigger risk.

I make Eagles fly
    Jan 2015
    The motorcycle thing, that's why I gave up riding them. Racetracks broke a lot of my bones, the street I was almost killed 3x daily and was boring compared to racetrack speeds.
    My 2 wheel fix is my road and Mtb. Thought I will probably have another dirtbike soon

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    One thing is certain. The longer you stay off the bike, the worse the fear will become.
    One thing is also certain. The longer you stay off the bike, the worse your health will become, and people with bad health die sooner.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    this too shall pass.
    link assist!
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Banned forever.....or not
    This is your lucky day. What are the chance that you'll be that close to death again??
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I mean...can you belive this sh.t ?? A motorcycle accident in front of the office today,the guy has been T boned by a douche german tourist and died in front of me and my coworkers . Few minutes before that I've bought a cycling jersey online. Just what I needed...
    Well,since I wont' get much sleep tonight looks like I'll spend some time in the garage getting the bike ready..
    Do it, man. The dead man in the street showed how fragile life is! Take it from this old fart, you'll die sooner if you give up cycling.

The legs could be stale from all those km walking over the summer and could use a rest. Cycling is great rehabilitation therapy. Different activity. Used to notice it every time I rode home after being on my feet 8 hours at a bike shop. By the time I got home, about an hour later, the legs actually felt better climbing up the stairs, bike under shoulder, than when I kicked off feeling stiff and worn out. I was in my 60s.

That's all it is. Yeah, re-prioritize as a dad, stay out of trouble, but don't give it up.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 09-05-2017 at 06:00 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Do it, man. The dead man in the street showed how fragile life is! Take it from this old fart, you'll die sooner if you give up cycling.

The legs could be stale from all those km walking over the summer and could use a rest. Cycling is great rehabilitation therapy. Different activity. Used to notice it every time I rode home after being on my feet 8 hours at a bike shop. By the time I got home, about an hour later, the legs actually felt better climbing up the stairs, bike under shoulder, than when I kicked off feeling stiff and worn out. I was in my 60s.

That's all it is. Yeah, re-prioritize as a dad, stay out of trouble, but don't give it up.
    Looks like you nailed it,I may need some serious rest first,even If I've stopped walking that much it takes a very little effort for my legs to hurt and feel soar.

The bike is ready,just a lot of *****ing to set it up tubeless again,so I went back to the good 'ol tubes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2016
    Exactly a year ago this day I've resumed my riding season, it's been like that for the past 9 years. Due to a very busy summer job I usually stop riding around mid may and resume early september. But this year I won't. I don't know what's going on with me but I have a bad feeling about riding. I constantly see myself hit by a car,even if we have virtually no traffic here in winter. I mean,it's something I keep visualizing. Am I getting old ( 44) while my son is growing up ( 2 in 2 weeks ) and it's just preservation instinct kicking in ? Am I too tired due to this summer job ? I've lost about 4 kilos walking between 10kms to 20kms a day every single day at work,very exhausting. But again,I feel like I want to feel safe at home and be there for the loved ones. Ever been through something like this ? It kills me, I have a brand new bike collecting dust since may..
    This is anxiety, the cure for this is "fun".

My son (8y old) had an anxiety problem after a bad experience. I putted him in a mountain bike club, he has so much fun that his anxiety almost completely disappears.

He was fearing everything, couldn't even ride his bike in front of the house. He was a 8/10 anxiety problem. Now he is 1/10.

You need to find a way to have "fun". "Fun" will have you regain your confidence.

The answer is within yourself. Nobody but you can answer this.

Good luck !

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    You can certainly GREATLY minimize your risks by doing these:

1. have a bright rear blinkers, 2 is even better. Get the highest lumen ones. Use it day or night
    2. have a bright front light, get at least 800 lumen ones. Use it day or night
    3. wear a bright vest while riding
    4. if you ride on the street, try to ride in a group because group is more visible
    5. when possible, ride on the bike paths

I have found that having a front and rear light during the day helps tremendously, it stops cars that would otherwise turn into my path of travel. Statistically, a cyclist is most vulnerable from getting hit from the front or the rear because drivers don't see them, and bright lights will help greatly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    For me it comes in waves. Don't know why. Maybe it a 40's thing (I'm 43). On my last ride, I saw two motorcyclists & one bicyclist down in the road. That didn't help. Prayer & front & rear lights are the best we can do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12