Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008

What's the most versatile Oakley lense tint?

I'm getting one set of prescription Oakleys and wanna know what lense tint is best for general daytime use. I.e. for road riding, mountain biking, driving, other sports (e.g. tennis, golf), beach, hanging outdoors, morning, noon, early evening, sunny, overcast etc.

Note, I can't afford interchangeable, transitions or polarized lenses and contacts don't work for me.

Also, if you can name the range of activities you use your lenses for, please do. Thanks for your input!
    Last edited by Khuan; 04-04-2010 at 09:21 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Gold Polarized...
    That's what my RX Oakleys are and they are good for pretty much everything from bright sun to rain.

Trying to return....
    Jun 2005
    My vote goes for the standard VR28 lens for the widest range of uses, I used them for mountain bike racing and found they have the right tint for most conditions I experienced.

Lemur-ing
    Hmm.... The color on my white/purple Jawbone is pretty versatile (the darker lens) IMO.

Then again, I think black works for a lot of conditions too.
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    I have the Oakley G30 golf specific lens on my Flak Jackets and can use them for almost any conditions. They're my favorite lens for road biking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great Thread!!! I have been wondering the same thing. I have Half Jackets and I need a Lens for the Rain. I was going to try and find a clear lens for them, only after reading this I am not so sure anymore.

Fierce Pancake
    I replaced the (damaged) black lenses on my old Frogskins with dark red prescription lenses, they are fine for everything from the harsh desert sunlight to late afternoon/twilight conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Poast of the Day™.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I've got Half Jackets with Persimmon XLJ prescription lenses, which I wear for biking and driving. They're bright enough to wear indoors or at night.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by uzziefly
    Hmm.... The color on my white/purple Jawbone is pretty versatile (the darker lens) IMO.
    Hi uzziefly. Is your Jawbone non-custom? I.e. the one listed on Oakley's website with VR28 Blue Iridium lenses? Under what conditions are they useful?

Witty custom user title
    Quote Originally Posted by fallzboater
    I've got Half Jackets with Persimmon XLJ prescription lenses, which I wear for biking and driving. They're bright enough to wear indoors or at night.
    Yeah, but if you have any photosensitivity at all, persimmon sucks during the day.

To the OP - I have a lot of years experience with Oakley, and have worn EVERYTHING. In my opinion, the best two all-purpose lenses Oakley makes are the VR28 and the G30. Both work extremely well in all lighting conditions, and can be worn from sun up to sundown. Both of these lens tints boost clarity making them good for activities such as golf, cycling, MTB'ing in the woods, etc. The VR28 has just a slight "yellow-orange" hue, but very, very subtle. The G30 has more of a rose hue, and is by far my favorite Oakley lens of all time. I wear both quite often and can recommend either very highly. Go to a Sunglass Hut or something and try both on to see which you prefer before turning one into your prescription lens.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

Oakley

VR28 is the one

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    So far VR28 and G30 seem to be the most useful tints. Has anyone tried VR28 Black Iridium (or Blue Iridium), G30 Black Iridium or G20 Black Iridium? Are they too dark for general use?

Ken
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I currently use the G30 and as mentioned works really well in low to medium light. I need another pair to deal with bright to extreme bright light conditions. Probably will get the black iridium polarized for those conditions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Persimmon for all occasions, except the brightest of days...then use the standard grey that come with...if you're around water, get some polarized. They'll save your eyes in the long run.

RoadBikeReview Member
    VR28 for most conditions, G30 for overcast, shadows and the woods.

old school drop out
    G30 and persimmon are my two favorites - the persimmon is what I used most often. For night riding I like the yellow lens also.

RoadBikeReview Member
    VR50 transitions.

Lynskey R210 | Miyata 1000

keep rubber side down
    Yellow. I've been wearing ONE tint forever. Yellow.
    “There are many things worth living for, a few things worth dying for, and nothing worth killing for.” Tom Robbins

"See, at my age and level, one is racing for glory. There can be glory finishing dead last. But there will never be any glory cheating to win." S. Lamarre

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    I throw in my vote for Blue Iridium, I use them driving, road riding, mt biking and find them to fit about all situations except for extremely bright and when it starts to get dark.

The best advice I would have is to visit a official oakley store or oakley vault and try them out for yourself

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by memphisr32
    I throw in my vote for Blue Iridium, I use them driving, road riding, mt biking and find them to fit about all situations except for extremely bright and when it starts to get dark.

The best advice I would have is to visit a official oakley store or oakley vault and try them out for yourself
    Hi memphis. Are they alright for overcast and riding through shadows?

_Ed
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I've got VR 28 polarised in my snowboard lenses and think they're about the best you can get. Great from all but the brightest of conditions, and still pretty decent when it gets to whiteout.

In the low light, the polarising is really good with helping you identify contours by increasing the contrast - particularly useful on a snow covered mountain in a white out. Maybe not so useful on a bike..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Khuan
    Hi memphis. Are they alright for overcast and riding through shadows?

Yes I have no problem riding with them in those conditions. I think they excel in foggy conditions more than the yellow or permission style lenses. The Blue Iridium's are a contrast lens so they make color pop slightly and increase contrast of shadow areas. Like i said the only time they don't work is when you are in bright clear days with the sun beating in your face (I then use a black iridium lens) or the last 10 minutes before the sun sets (I lose perception in the shadows). Also I don't use them at night (clear lens instead).

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have two lenses:

1) VR28 Polarized. These are great in bright sun and I use them in spring and summer. Always dark enough but still good down to low light, if I get caught out as the sun is going down. I can actually almost ride in them until it gets dark. My vision isn't great at that point, but I don't like shoving them in a pocket nor on my helmet.

2) Persimmon. These are great in the fall and winter. I use them on cloudy days, as they are my all around lenses that I wear for protection too. I'll eventually get some clear ones. These are fine in all light conditions, even bright light, but I will wear the VR28s when it's really sunny. I can see in these even when it gets dark.

I feel like with these two lenses I am set for all light conditions. I might get some clear lenses in the future.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    i'm riding jawbones with fire iridium polarized. They're a 15% lense that do very well bright and sunny, or in overcast woods on MB rides.
    that said, I'm very interested in Black Iridium Polarized, at 9% (darkest).
    I'm an outside sales guy, and it should be illegal to depend on sunglasses that aren't polarized.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003
    G30, even had BicycleRX do a great job matching it for prescription lenses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast