Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2016

What's Your Max Speed?

I once hit 66 in the Alps with video from following cars speedo. Very scary as steering wobble came in about 60 and I wasn't brace enough to brake off a while.
    My future fastest will be <60mph.
    And for the record, I've never measured my troll's penis.

On your left!
    I only ride uphill so not a fair comparison.
    Not in the mood?! Mood's a thing for cattle and love play... not fighting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Riding fast creeps me out. I start mentally tabulating medical bills. I doubt if I've broken 45 MPH.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TDFbound View Post
    You can win if you want to. Apparently mentioning speed is taboo, so 42 is as good a winning number as any. Whoever thought a forum for a sport that is won by being the fastest would so dislike the topic of max speed? I'm usually a bit disappointed if I finish a day in the mountains without breaking 60.
    To put it in perspective; how many downhill stage finishes do you see in road bike races? Are mountain stages won by going uphill as quickly as possible? or Down? I'd rather push myself hard going uphill. If and when I decide to bomb down it will be a max effort. If you are 3-5mph faster than me, ehh big deal.

Going as fast as you can in a straight line downhill (putting as nicely as possible) is boring and unchallenging. Throw 50-100 turns of different radii and camber over the same downhill and now you are talking.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    The one strange thing I have seen is that on my fully loaded touring bike I appear to have a terminal velocity - a speed which, due to the aerodynamics of all the packs?, cannot be exceeded. Eleven times on my cross country trip back in 1985 I hit 47mph as the max speed on various descents. At no time did I ever record a faster speed on that trip or any other long distance tour.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

Russian Troll Farmer

Pics or it didn't happen....

Name:  picardfacepalm-oh-lord-not-this-again.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  24.0 KB
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    Riding fast creeps me out. I start mentally tabulating medical bills. I doubt if I've broken 45 MPH.
    I actually start obsessing over whether my skewer or stem bolts are properly tightened.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    I actually start obsessing over whether my skewer or stem bolts are properly tightened.
    I imagine having a blowout on the front, and visualize how far I will fly gracefully through the air before arriving abruptly at the ground, tree, guardrail, rocks, road, curb, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    But I have broken enough other stuff.

Give me a long straight dry descent with no side streets on a sunny day and if ai can see far enough ahead that I am not worried about patches of sand or fallen branches ... sure i will go for max speed.

I can say this ... if I could heal faster I could descend faster.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
    But I have broken enough other stuff.

Give me a long straight dry descent with no side streets on a sunny day and if ai can see far enough ahead that I am not worried about patches of sand or fallen branches ... sure i will go for max speed.

I can say this ... if I could heal faster I could descend faster.
    Where I do my fast descents, it's wooded areas around Valley Forge, PA. The thing I fear most is wildlife. I've nearly wrecked because of a fawn, and I actually did run over a crazy squirrel. Fortunately, the fawn jumped out of my way at the last second, and the squirrel went between the wheels and under my back wheel. I managed to maintain control, but only because I'd already slowed to about 20 mph.

Fecal indicator
    can hit 45-48 mph any day of the week on one of my routes. no effort required, just tuck and drop...don't think much about it, it's not a 'skill'...

fastest ever was a sustained 58 mph on an 11-mile desert mountain descent. road was freshly paved 2-lane uni-directional job with a very wide shoulder.

nice sweeping curves...awesome views, big fun, no worries.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I keep trying to hit 88 MPH. My future depends on it.

Use my Apps :)
    57mph. I was young, single and stupid. Now that I'm old, married and have a better understanding of depending on income I don't really care to go so fast anymore. Low 30s is about it now.
    "My Elevation" provides accurate elevation information on your Android device wherever you are or wherever you search. Accurate elevation, weather conditions and related Wikipedia data on just about anyplace on the planet!
    Get it on Google Play!

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. When I get to about 43-45 something kicks in that tells me to slow down or at least not go any faster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Just to be clear/fair, the ability to go fast on descents kind of matters quite a bit in pro cycling/racing. Nibali, Bardet, Cadel Evans are all known to be great at this skill , and yes it is a skill. It's not my favorite thing either, but let's not get crazy folks.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iPHnqI13vPk

Last edited by Rashadabd; 10-04-2017 at 10:41 PM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by TDFbound View Post
    You can win if you want to. Apparently mentioning speed is taboo, so 42 is as good a winning number as any. Whoever thought a forum for a sport that is won by being the fastest would so dislike the topic of max speed?
    Fastest in racing is average over a course, not the person who went the fastest for a moment.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb View Post
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. When I get to about 43-45 something kicks in that tells me to slow down or at least not go any faster.
    In the hoods, I hit a steady 40 on descents from air resistance. That's on the edge of nervousness for me, in that I notice the speed and get "serious" about riding. Serious meaning focused on doing everything right so as not to die. I have and will go faster at times, but only on a known route these days. And only if I am in the mood get seriously serious. I still take risks, I just am more measured in when I am willing to take them.

30 on the MTB on the trail (or more often fire road) has a similar effect on me. Well, it did before my 5010, which is motorcycle enough to handle a fire road at ludicrous speed. Not that I ride down many, because.... singletrack.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

What the what???
    I hit 52 or 53 briefly while dropping down into a river valley and all I could think about was how one turtle in the road or one pothole would be all she wrote...
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    In the hoods, I hit a steady 40 on descents from air resistance. That's on the edge of nervousness for me, in that I notice the speed and get "serious" about riding. Serious meaning focused on doing everything right so as not to die. I have and will go faster at times, but only on a known route these days. And only if I am in the mood get seriously serious. I still take risks, I just am more measured in when I am willing to take them.

30 on the MTB on the trail (or more often fire road) has a similar effect on me. Well, it did before my 5010, which is motorcycle enough to handle a fire road at ludicrous speed. Not that I ride down many, because.... singletrack.
    This is about where I am at (40mph max & calculated risks). Nobody is paying me and there's just too many things that can go wrong at speeds over that IMO. To each his own though...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Interestingly, it's mostly road hazards I obsess over, not bike integrity. At least in my area where smooth roads are the exception, not the norm. And I've had enough close calls with deer and squirrels in the last two months as an incentive not to bomb down hills too fast.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    12:03

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Interestingly, it's mostly road hazards I obsess over, not bike integrity.
    Same. I trust my bikes and I check them before rides, and catastrophic blowouts are really rare.

On the other hand, debris, cracks or potholes which weren't there last time I rode that way, sand piles, branches .... In other words the stuff i see all the time on flat roads ... could literally cripple or kill me on a fast downhill.

Back when my adrenal glands were three times as big .... but lately, the rush of nearly dying just doesn't get me there ....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    Cateye computer maxed out at 55mph.
    Not my computer, but the guy I was with. And I was pulling away. I was in a tight tuck on a steep hill on a straight road in northern Michigan.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    45 mph pedaling down hill
    That's 120 rpm in a 54/11. Or 132 rpm in a 53/12.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast