Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepV View Post
    42 on a mountain descent.

56 on a short steep hill (1 mile). No pedaling, no tuck, not trying to go fast on a TANDEM!!!

Too fast, don't want to do that again.
    Why not? Loaded up with two riders, tandems are unstoppable!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Why not? Loaded up with two riders, tandems are unstoppable!

Probably because I had my wife on the back. Bike was rock solid but helmets and glasses shaking violently. Thought the bike was solid, the shaking made me think we weren't meant to go that fast with pretty much just a helmet and lycra.

We were on a major avenue and after the descent, I couldn't help but wonder what would have happened if a dog had run out in front of us at that speed (residential area).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepV View Post
    Probably because I had my wife on the back. Bike was rock solid but helmets and glasses shaking violently. Thought the bike was solid, the shaking made me think we weren't meant to go that fast with pretty much just a helmet and lycra.

We were on a major avenue and after the descent, I couldn't help but wonder what would have happened if a dog had run out in front of us at that speed (residential area).
    Aha, residential area! 45 mph speed limit? You and your wife could have gotten a speeding ticket. Something to frame and show off to friends!

Best to stay completely relaxed, move with the bike, go with the flow! The hills around NVA aren't long enough to overcome white knuckled descents. By the time I think, "Hey, 45 mph isn't so bad!" I'm at the bottom. Out in LA, plenty of long descents like off Mt. Wilson, my only experience going over 40 mph for a thrilling half hour, taking the switchbacks like a motorcycle. Once the blood flowed back into the hands and the neck stopped shaking, it was fun defying death. No pedestrians walking dogs up there, though. So one could feel safe as long as he forgot what he was riding! I had enough problems on a motorcycle. Yep, coasting 50 mph on a 20 pound bike is nuts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Aha, residential area! 45 mph speed limit? You and your wife could have gotten a speeding ticket. Something to frame and show off to friends!

Best to stay completely relaxed, move with the bike, go with the flow! The hills around NVA aren't long enough to overcome white knuckled descents. By the time I think, "Hey, 45 mph isn't so bad!" I'm at the bottom. Out in LA, plenty of long descents like off Mt. Wilson, my only experience going over 40 mph for a thrilling half hour, taking the switchbacks like a motorcycle. Once the blood flowed back into the hands and the neck stopped shaking, it was fun defying death. No pedestrians walking dogs up there, though. So one could feel safe as long as he forgot what he was riding! I had enough problems on a motorcycle. Yep, coasting 50 mph on a 20 pound bike is nuts.
    Yup! just checked (google maps street view) 45 so yes, I could have gotten a ticket but riding the brakes on a tandem down a hill could be just as dangerous if we blow a rim (rim brakes).

LA? So you know the area. I've done this ride 4 times. Climbing up and around Big Bear to Onyx Summit at 8400 ft.

Flying down Angelus Oaks is cool, almost 40 miles of downhill with only a few stops once you get back into town.

Funny though, long long downhilll and I only topped out about 42.

Actually did the descent 5 times, once on Breathless Agony as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's Your Max Speed?-thebear_zpsfee335ef.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Havenít hit it yet!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345