Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks guys. You know I can't find anywhere if the new 9100 c24s are tubeless ready. The older 9000 c24s are, but nothing regarding whether or not the new 9100 versions are tubeless?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ejewels View Post
    Thanks guys. You know I can't find anywhere if the new 9100 c24s are tubeless ready. The older 9000 c24s are, but nothing regarding whether or not the new 9100 versions are tubeless?
    Not necessarily. There were two versions. CL and TL. TL means tubeless. CL doesn't.

I don't know about the new ones but they haven't really changed compared to prior versions so you can make a good guess based on the weight. If the set is around 1390 grams they are not tubeless compatible and if they are around 1450 they are. I wouldn't buy based on that but I'm pretty sure it would be a good way to figure it out. You'd think a quick google could clear that up but I didn't see anything, but I only looked for about 30 seconds.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ejewels,

First of all, I see a lot of people giving you advice without knowing how much you weigh or what type of shape you are in.

Without knowing the above, I will only say the following.

The Mavic Ksyriums you mentioned are way overrated and overpriced for what you get IMO.

If you are under 220lbs. and looking for a non-custom wheelset, you probably won't go wrong with the Shimano Ultegra WH-6800:

Shimano Ultegra 6800 Tubeless Wheelset > Components > Wheels > Road Wheels | Jenson USA

1640g, tubeless compatible, Shimano durability at only $280, these are a great bang for the buck!

If you are looking to spend more tax refund money, well, what can I say?

And let me just say this. Lighter wheels will accelerate better, but won't make you significantly faster. They will FEEL faster. But if you are looking to toast your friends up hills that they toasted you on with your old wheels, you will be disappointed.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    I'm 190lbs, losing slowly. I only can find the non tubeless version of the 24s. I wonder how much tubeless matters. I run it on my Mtb but not sure about road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm 190lbs, losing slowly. I only can find the non tubeless version of the 24s. I wonder how much tubeless matters. I run it on my Mtb but not sure about road.
    Matters to what? In theory, since you don't have tubes, you don't have to worry about pinch flats, so you can run lower pressures. You can still get punctures, so you should still carry a spare tube.

IMHO, the hassle with the messy sealant isn't worth it. I still run tubes and I probably get one flat per year if that.

FYI, I have seen ride ending punctures on tubeless tires.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    Dura Ace C24's without a doubt. But I agree that you'll improve more by losing weight and training more. Love my pair. They "feel" great on climbs.
    I've got a Domane SL6 which came with the Bontrager wheels and 28mm tires. They really provided a cushioned ride but I wanted to use my Shimano C24s for the improved climbing and generally nimble handling. Unfortunately, the 20.8 rim width is inadequate to accommodate 28mm Conti 2000 Grand Prix II tires. They suffer from the lightbulb effect and handling on curves is really squirrely. My choice is to settle for 25mm tires or upgrade to the new Shimano Dura Ace 9100 C40 wheels which have wider rims but they aren't cheap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarraher View Post
    I've got a Domane SL6 which came with the Bontrager wheels and 28mm tires. They really provided a cushioned ride but I wanted to use my Shimano C24s for the improved climbing and generally nimble handling. Unfortunately, the 20.8 rim width is inadequate to accommodate 28mm Conti 2000 Grand Prix II tires. They suffer from the lightbulb effect and handling on curves is really squirrely. My choice is to settle for 25mm tires or upgrade to the new Shimano Dura Ace 9100 C40 wheels which have wider rims but they aren't cheap.
    I was thinking the same thing. I think we have the same wheels, or you might have the "race" versions. BTW, I really want the SL6 but can't justify the cost at this point. I'm jealous!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2016
    If you are considering the Shimano Dura-Ace 9000 TL C24 wheels, you should know that Shimano clearly states that they should not be used with a sealant. Apparently there is an issue with delamination. It doesn't say that using sealant voids the warranty but I wouldn't chance it. I've been running mine with tubes.

HERKWO
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarraher View Post
    Unfortunately, Shimano didn't change the rim width as forecasted... the current C40 wheelset is still the same width. Future variants are "supposed" to be the wider width.
    Specs here:
    WH-R9100-C40-CL-F
    HERKWO

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Herkwo View Post
    Unfortunately, Shimano didn't change the rim width as forecasted... the current C40 wheelset is still the same width. Future variants are "supposed" to be the wider width.
    Specs here:
    WH-R9100-C40-CL-F
    Yep, you are right. The only C40 currently with wider rim is a tubular version.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12