Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016

Wheel Upgrade Questions

Hey All,

I've been loving my 2017 Trek Domane S5 now for a while. Its not the lightest bike and I do a lot of climbing by me. With a touch of upgraditis and tax return money coming in, I was wondering what the best wheel upgrade under a thousand bucks would be?

Right now it comes with Bonty TL stock rims. I don't know the stock weight, but obviously they are somewhat heavy.

I can get a deal on Krysirium wheelsets at the moment. Would the pro or even the elite be a noticeable, lighter upgrade from the stock bonty's?

I can also get the Dura Ace wheelset on sale too.
    Last edited by ejewels; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:35 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    yes and dura ace.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Consider custom wheels. I have two sets of custom wheels with White Industries T1 hubs, HED Belgium rims and Sapim cxray spokes. November or Psimet are worth looking at. They come in at about 1550 grams. I just restored my Colnago C-40 bought a set of Campagnolo Neutrons. I got them from Ribble for around $550 (they're a couple hundred more in the U.S.). They seem nice, and light for the price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Thought about custom but I'm looking at REI as you can get 20%off as a member right now, so limited at choices.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Even at 20% off, REI isn't cheap. Check a UK place out first like Ribble. They charge $20 for shipping, but there's no sales tax. When I buy groups and what not, I get my stuff in a week. For some reason, wheels take almost 2 weeks.

I wouldn't limit your choices to what REI has in stock. I'm a member, but I don't think I've ever bought bike stuff there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Yeah I figured. Problem is I don't know where to start on custom wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A few things.

1) There is a sub-forum where many topics such as yours have been discussed.

Wheels and Tires

2) In that sub-forum, many posters have a major hard-on for November Wheels and their products

3) Many off the shelf wheels (such as Shimano Dura-Ace as you mentioned) are great and will work for thousands and thousands of miles w/out issue.

If climbing is your primary activity, the C24 Dura-Ace wheels are awesome, but may not work if you are a big person as the spoke count is low.

Good luck!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    For a 1000 bucks I'd get a pair of Hed Jet 6 Blacks. Might be slightly more than that at the moment, but there are sales that get them to 999 and below.

Probably one of the fastest wheels you can get for the money. And AL braking to boot!

RoadBikeReview Member
    November, Great wheels & service!

Banned forever.....or not
    Wouldn't it be a whole lot cheaper to lose 0ne or two pounds of body weight??...
    Are you going to use these to race on??...
    Are these for fast group rides where you get dropped if you have inexpensive wheels??..
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Suggest if possible that you weigh your wheels before you replace so you know what your weight savings will or won't be. That said, I put Boyd Altamont wheels on my Domane, and I've been happy. At a touch under 1600 grams for the set, they are a little lighter than my stock wheels, and they are wider. They also feel a little quicker, but that's subjective. I've had no issues at all in a few thousand miles, other than needing to touch up the bearing preload on the rear.

And yeah, W&T is the right place for this thread.

Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008
    I'm gonna guess your Bont's weigh close to 2000g and if you're running the stock tires, those are about 300g each.

If you're under 220 lbs., just go with Shimano. The Ultegra's are very good. The RS81's are excellent as well as the DA C-24's.
    Competitive Cyclist has some very good prices going on right now.
    In fact better than Merlin or Ribble right now.
    https://www.competitivecyclist.com/b...3AShimano&nf=1

Merlin is also very good to deal with. Plus free shipping.
    https://www.merlincycles.com/factory...?brand=shimano

If you take the weight off the bike, it stays off. You're gonna fluctuate in body weight all year long. Your wheels won't and your wheels are rotating mass.

Custom is neat and sounds great, but at the prices you can get factory wheels, including warranty and service, it's not worth the hassle for what you're wanting.
    Last edited by maximum7; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:37 PM.

What the what???

Wheel Upgrade Questions

Before you decide custom isn't an option, I'd spend some time comparison shopping at a place like prowheelbuilder.com. You can use their custom wheel build program to look at different hub/rim/spoke/nipple combos and prices.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hard to beat the Shimano Dura-Ace WH-R9100 C24-CL Road Wheelset at Nashbar for $829.
    Pretty sure that's the non-tubeless version (which may not matter to you). I bought a set of the tubeless version of the C24s from Performance - and they matched Nashbar's price.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Handbuilt wheels for $400 @ 1388g. You'll be hard pressed to find lighter, cheaper, stronger wheels.
    Blackset Race 24 700c Wheel Set

Frequently discussed and well reviewed. http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sea...archid=1431351
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Consider custom wheels. I have two sets of custom wheels with White Industries T1 hubs, HED Belgium rims and Sapim cxray spokes. November or Psimet are worth looking at. They come in at about 1550 grams. I just restored my Colnago C-40 bought a set of Campagnolo Neutrons. I got them from Ribble for around $550 (they're a couple hundred more in the U.S.). They seem nice, and light for the price.
    Thumbs up on the advice for customs and the White Industries hubs.

I'm essentially a recreational rider who does a few organized rides each year and accumulates only about 1,500 - 2,000 miles a season. Weight is not a huge concern and unless you are riding competitively, I'd suggest it shouldn't be high on your list either. For most riders and certainly in my case, handling, durability, comfort and rolling resistance are far bigger concerns.

I spent a lot of time researching things and came to the conclusion that I could get a custom wheelset that met my all my performance criteria at roughly the same cost as a pre-built. My build is T-11 hubs, Archetype rims (very similar to the HED Belgiums in pmf's build) and Sapim Force spokes with brass (rather than alloy) nipples. After discussion with the wheel builder about my weight and riding style, I went with his suggestion for a 28 spoke (2 cross) front and 32 rear (3 cross DS, 2 cross NDS) rear. This is a pretty robust build and so a bit heavy at 1,742 grams but well worth the extra weight.

The Archetype rims are fairly wide which allows me to run at 65-70 psi even with 23mm tires, providing an extremely comfortable ride. Handling is crisp and sure with very little flexing. The White hubs are truly outstanding and I think are the reason my top speeds are significantly improved. All in all, a huge improvement over the stock Reynolds Solitudes I was using and I couldn't be happier with the wheelset.

The price, including shipping and a set of Velocity internal cam skewers was about $650 (GVH Bikes in OR). While you can get some decent pre-builds for a bit less than that, it's not likely you will get the same quality and robust build.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dura Ace C35 are great deal if you can find them, new model is C40. I have them on my Emonda love them.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Amazing what variety there is. When I started road biking, there were no pre-built wheels. There were a handful of rims to choose from, either Campy or Shimano hubs, and DT spokes. 32 spokes front and back, under a lot less tension than spokes are these days.

The problem I have with pre-built wheels, and I've owned many sets, is that they're one size fits all. If you're that size great. My wife weighs quite a bit less than I do. Should we both be riding the same wheels? Usually, a custom wheel builder will ask about your weight, riding style, riding conditions, etc., and suggest a rim and spoke count. Strong, light and cheap can't all be had for rims. With spokes, Sapim cxray are the holy grail these days, but they're costly. It's an extra $50 a wheel, but frankly, for me that's not a lot of money over the thousands of miles I'll ride a set of wheels, so that's what I go for. For hubs, a lot of folks like White Industries T11. I do. They're beautiful, made in the U.S., and easy to service. Not cheap, but well within the OP's budget. My wife has a set of wheels with American Classic hubs. I've had to rebuild these things twice. They require a set of American Classic cartridge ball bearings that cost $75. Annoying.

Lots of choices are a good thing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    I have Shimano DA C24 tubeless on my 2017 Domane SL. For me they are very good for climbing. Use them with tubes. Also have them on my 2014 Domane 4.3 and put on over 20k miles without issues. I do a lot of climbing so the lighter the better. My newer ones had an issue with a lack of thread locker on the barrel nuts at the hub and at the adjustment barrel at the rim. Once I figured it out they worked great.
    Got mine from Western Bike Works .com on a price match with Merlincycles.com in the UK. Once you decide what you want shop on the net.
    I found I didn't need deep dish rims and preferred the lighter weight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks guys. Competitive Cyclist seems to have a few Dura Ace options. C60, C40 and C24... carbon and carbon laminate. Not sure which is better or if all would fit?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ejewels View Post
    Thanks guys. Competitive Cyclist seems to have a few Dura Ace options. C60, C40 and C24... carbon and carbon laminate. Not sure which is better or if all would fit?
    The numbers usually refer to the depth of the rim.

They would all fit - but they all aim to provide different things (aero, weight savings, etc)

Did you read the descriptions/teach specs for each?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    It depends on what type of rider you are and what terrain you ride. If you sprint a lot and do mostly flat go with a deeper rim. If you climb a lot go light weight. Make sure the brake option is correct disc vs rim. Carbon laminate usually means the rim brake track is aluminum. If you go all carbon you will need new brake pads.

Fecal indicator
    have used 7900 and 9000 C24s, they're excellent wheels.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    I'm with TLG, some of the most advanced wheel technologies at the lightest weights can be purchased for <$500 as long as you don't care about brands.

From China, I had a set of custom 38x25mm carbon clincher wheels built with bladed spokes 20/24, for $450. They weigh 1320g (we do a lot of climbing), and are absolutely true after 1 year and 6000 miles, including a fair amount of gravel riding.

Some may have a distaste for dealing with Chinese sellers, and that's up to you, but for me it was very easy to tell who was professional and credible, and I acknowledge that many/most of the components in many North American pre-built wheels are coming from the same place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Hey All,

I've been loving my 2017 Trek Domane S5 now for a while. Its not the lightest bike and I do a lot of climbing by me. With a touch of upgraditis and tax return money coming in, I was wondering what the best wheel upgrade under a thousand bucks would be?

Right now it comes with Bonty TL stock rims. I don't know the stock weight, but obviously they are somewhat heavy.

I can get a deal on Krysirium wheelsets at the moment. Would the pro or even the elite be a noticeable, lighter upgrade from the stock bonty's?

I can also get the Dura Ace wheelset on sale too.
    Dura Ace C24's without a doubt. But I agree that you'll improve more by losing weight and training more. Love my pair. They "feel" great on climbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast