RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

When you get this old shouldn't you have lost all your Anger ?

Old video but a good look into the minds of some drivers thoughts on cyclists...NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=RuYO8Tsmhv8

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016...ght-on-camera/
    Last edited by factory feel; 07-03-2018 at 04:48 PM.
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    Old video but a good look into the minds of some drivers thoughts on cyclists...NSFW

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post

As I was threading through a pack driving on the interstate, switching lanes as appropriate, this kid showing off with his buddies did some blocking maneuvers like in the first video. He was in the left lane on a three lane highway. So I went into the far right lane and passed a bunch of cars quickly, then dodged back into the middle lane, well ahead of this kid. Trouble is, passing cars at 75 mph in the slow speed lane is dangerous and stupid as hell, for a simple victory.

Another time, I came upon a tight pack moving just under the 60 mph limit on a wet road, splashing up detritus on windshields and destroying visibility. As soon as I saw the opportunity, I gunned the 4 wheel drive Benz from 58 to 83 mph and got around that pack in 5 seconds.

Trouble is, the reason everyone was going just under the limit was an unmarked police SUV setting the pace! He was on my tail as I pulled back into the right lane. I knew I was had, so pulled over onto the shoulder just as the cop turned on his flashers and rolled politely to a stop. "Sure stepped into that one, didn't I?" He was either relieved I wasn't trying to beat the charges, or as I explained why I wanted to pass the pack, he was the reason. After checking me out he said his "tickets got wet, so I'm giving you a warning."

Act like you respect the other traffic and when you screw up, the cops might not feel like they "have to teach you a lesson." I believe senior status works in such situations.

And I learned it all riding a bike! Drive the car like a bike, not the reverse, ride the bike like a car, a common mistake. Ah so.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 07-05-2018 at 01:37 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Act like you respect the other traffic and when you screw up, the cops might not feel like they "have to teach you a lesson." I believe senior status works in such situations.
    This works in the police are in "enforce mode". If they are in "revenue mode", there is no hope for you.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    To answer OP's question, one of my first engagements in public accounting a long time ago was an audit of a Section 8 (subsidized) senior citizens housing complex. While I was working a loud argument over parking broke out during a resident meeting. Most residents didn't own a car and parking was ample.

The manager later explained that some people have nothing to do except be mad all day. I've continually witnessed that since.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It is interesting that sh*t doesn't happen here in Texas fat old surfer guy would be spitting out his broken teeth if he got up in my face like that.

Best way to avoid angry motorist is to ignore them.

I've had things thrown at me been almost hit numerous times yelled/cussed at had jackasses "roll coal" on me and even had drivers intentionally turn right in-front of me on solo and group rides.

Best solution is ignore it as these drivers are just looking for an excuse to engage with cyclists. However...if some jerk like the one in the video confronts me you have to go preemptive Aka strike-first if you can't deescalate the situation.

A swift headbutt to the nose or violent punch in the throat followed by a barrage of punches/kicks to the face until the aggressor is rendered unconscious will get your point across.

I'll never go looking for a fight and will do everything to avoid one (walk away) however if someone wants to start one, I know how to quickly end it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    In Socal, most surfer dudes are usually chillin and not anywhere this bad! This guy is an exception. But he did later apologized on a local TV station and owned up to his mistake. Usually in Corona Del Mar, most local drivers are good with cyclists.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    This guy is an exception.
    He needed (old video) to get out more. Hope he did.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by WRM4865 View Post
    Best solution is ignore it as these drivers are just looking for an excuse to engage with cyclists. However...if some jerk like the one in the video confronts me you have to go preemptive Aka strike-first if you can't deescalate the situation.

A swift headbutt to the nose or violent punch in the throat followed by a barrage of punches/kicks to the face until the aggressor is rendered unconscious will get your point across.
    OK, I don't know you personally and I don't live in Texas, but the only thing "A swift headbutt to the nose or violent punch ... until the aggressor is rendered unconscious" is going to get you around here (New York) is (a) arrested; and (b) dragged into years of lawsuits that will cost you dearly in time, stress and dollars. It's just not worth it. Start filming, and then ride away if you can and/or call 911 (not clear if the rider had already called 911 in the video) and stall for time until the cops arrive. Making the first attack is a recipe for disaster.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    some people have nothing to do except be mad all day. I've continually witnessed that since.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.