Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    40 years now? Before it was 30

I never said it is not an issue, I said it is fixable just like it is fixable on rim brakes which makes it not a deal killer as some of the disc naysayers would like people to believe.
    And as I noted, brake rub is an issue on rim brakes too, not just from the caliper moving but from the rim moving. I hear brake rub all the time when folks get out of the saddle and have had several people recently bringing their bikes in to the shop complaining about it. Sure you can adjust the spread of the caliper, but that degrades the throw and the brake performance
    And you're not the only one with experience here
    Both 30 and 40 years are correct. I am 64 and got my first 10 speed with caliper brakes when I was 12. 52 years gulp, hard to type.

Disc brake pad rub is a problem on automobiles, motorcycles and now bicycles since the beginning of time. Had it one time or another on all three:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT3-v7D_EUM
    Last edited by 11spd; 1 Week Ago at 02:33 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMay View Post
    Love it. Rapidly becoming my go to ride. 80% on the 650b/47mm setup. Not to derail thread but...

What's going on here? Latest Wheel Build

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Awesome! Greats minds....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Both 30 and 40 years are correct. I am 64 and got my first 10 speed with caliper brakes when I was 12. 52 years.

Disc brake pad rub is a problem on automobiles, motorcycles and now bicycles since the beginning of time:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT3-v7D_EUM
    really? damn from you debate energy, I was assuming you to be much younger! That's a compliment, aight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    My DT Swiss hubs do sound like that, they make an uneven pulsing whir. in fact I once had another rider roll up next to me and try and go off on a rant about disc brakes thinking mine were rubbing, and then I started pedaling and the noise went away... I've even mistaken the noise as brake rub

That said, I can't say for sure that is what it is in the video, but my it was first impression and then I watched the rest of the video and he confirmed it was a DT Swiss free hub

I use DT Swiss hubs and have had the 18, 36 and 54 tooth ratchets. I know the pulsing sound you’re talking about but I’ve never heard them make the metallic resonating sound a disc makes with some pad rub. Which I did hear pretty clearly in the video.

If it were pad rub I’m sure it was fixed before he went racing on it anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    really? damn from you debate energy, I was assuming you to be much younger! That's a compliment, aight.
    I look 50. I bike and swim just about everyday. Just got out of the pool.
    Pretty young hearted and still ride with the young boys. My LTHR is 170 so I literally have a young heart.

But no mistake, no escaping father time. 60's is a be@th and likely 70's will be much worse. I have a friend who is 72 and he can pull in his own air 22mph mile after mile. My nickname for him is the diesel. He just keeps coming. I should be so lucky.
    Thanks
    Last edited by 11spd; 1 Week Ago at 02:30 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Love it. Rapidly becoming my go to ride. 80% on the 650b/47mm setup. Not to derail thread but...

Cool bike. My thread and my rules which I don't make ;) ...anything bike or hot chick related.
    May I ask how much does it weigh approximately?
    You mentioned 650/47mm wide tires. What ratio of road to gravel or single track do you ride?
    Looks to be a fun all arounder.
    Last edited by 11spd; 1 Week Ago at 02:27 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018

Where are all the disc brake bikes in the TdF?

Thanks! Got the idea for the bike and setup from Dave Zabriskie, who now runs a gravel camp here in So Cal (dznuthouse.com). I’m only a few weeks into it but it’s probably 70-30 to 60-40 dirt-road. We don’t have true “gravel” but a lot of dirt fire roads and the roads/bike lanes are often rough. Tried some bumpier single track I ride on my mtb...definitely doable but not optimal for this bike. Still, wouldn’t hesitate to mash it altogether in a single ride and in my advanced age (58) not wanting to “shred gnar” much anymore I could envision this being my only bike and being ok with it.

Weight is 17.25 as pictured with 650b setup and pedals.

Weight is about a pound less with 700c and Schwalbe Pro Ones set up tubeless.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I don't have to tell myself anything, I know, and I am telling you, bro.
    You don't know what the situation is with the bike, as noted they were getting an early first look at it and he was one of the first to even see the bike, it's possible Sagans mechanic may not have done the final go through or someone else built it and his mech hasn't even touched it yet.
    And I am still not convinced that is disc rub you're hearing, it sounds like the DT Swiss ratchet freewheel, mine sounds just like that.

That you try to argue something as obvious as that disc rub sound is pretty telling. He turns the wheels in BOTH directions and it makes that noise! Seriously, get with it.

And no, your DT Swiss freehub does not sound like that, unless you too have a disc rubbing.

Again, you keep telling yourself what you need to, but proselytizing your delusion is tiresome and pointless. No one buys it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalbiker View Post
    That you try to argue something as obvious as that disc rub sound is pretty telling. He turns the wheels in BOTH directions and it makes that noise! Seriously, get with it.

And no, your DT Swiss freehub does not sound like that, unless you too have a disc rubbing.

Again, you keep telling yourself what you need to, but proselytizing your delusion is tiresome and pointless. No one buys it.

Maybe it's my speakers on my computer, but no, it is not obvious . Or perhaps you want it to be disc rub so bad that you've convinced yourself that it is what you're hearing. Like I already said, it's not clear to me and I can't say for sure that's what it is (it's a youtube video recorded from a few feet away and he only turns it backwards quarter of a turn for a split second, the noise you hear could be his fingers on the spokes, or not), but again I had someone mistake my freewheel noise for disc rub while riding next to me and I've heard it sound like that too. I'd make a video but I don't have the wheels with me.
    Now what is tiresome is you and others constantly whining and railing against disc for exaggerated "issues" and in this case something that is a fixable set up error. If it was a rim brake rubbing would you be trying to convince others not to buy rim brakes?

( Edit to add: Even in the comments of the video there was debate as to whether it was the disc or the free hub, or perhaps they rushed the bike for the video as I noted and that it is an easy fix if the brake )

Last edited by MoPho; 1 Week Ago at 05:11 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I look 50. I bike and swim just about everyday. Just got out of the pool.
    Pretty young hearted and still ride with the young boys. My LTHR is 170 so I literally have a young heart.

But no mistake, no escaping father time. 60's is a be@th and likely 70's will be much worse. I have a friend who is 72 and he can pull in his own air 22mph mile after mile. My nickname for him is the diesel. He just keeps coming. I should be so lucky.
    Thanks
    stay young my mannn!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks! Got the idea for the bike and setup from Dave Zabriskie, who now runs a gravel camp here in So Cal (dznuthouse.com). I’m only a few weeks into it but it’s probably 70-30 to 60-40 dirt-road. We don’t have true “gravel” but a lot of dirt fire roads and the roads/bike lanes are often rough. Tried some bumpier single track I ride on my mtb...definitely doable but not optimal for this bike. Still, wouldn’t hesitate to mash it altogether in a single ride and in my advanced age (58) not wanting to “shred gnar” much anymore I could envision this being my only bike and being ok with it.

Weight is 17.25 as pictured with 650b setup and pedals.

Weight is about a pound less with 700c and Schwalbe Pro Ones set up tubeless.
    Thanks Matt...nice and light for your wheel/tire size. Love the 650/47, nice hedge against static and rotational mass. Had a 29er with your tire width and added weight and spool up was noticeable. Once up to speed however, the thing rocked.

I share your line between too rough and smooth dirt for a drop bar. But being even a bit older, even on the dirt with advancing years, I prefer a flat bar and tires around your size. Rougher track and a front shock comes in handy which can be locked out on smoother stuff. Love the versatility of that kind of bike however...being able to run 700c and shorter, lighter and skinner rubber if spending more time on tarmac. I also like 1x driveline provided not too much climbing...love the simplicity of only shifting only 1 derailleur.
    Ride safe and thanks for sharing your cool bike. Disc is the only way to fly when tire/rim width increases and spending more time off the smooth stuff.
    Last edited by 11spd; 1 Week Ago at 01:08 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    stay young my mannn!!
    Lucky I suppose to have made it this far. Will try and thanks for the words of encouragement!
    I guess I have never wanted the party to end. I never liked work and was always sneaking out the back door to be outside and play. This in spite of my training but could never be as serious as others and keep my nose to the grindstone...lol.
    Life's short and older you get seems to go faster. Less sand in the hour glass.
    Play hard and ride safe.
    Last edited by 11spd; 1 Week Ago at 01:16 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks Matt...nice and light for your wheel/tire size. Love the 650/47, nice hedge against static and rotational mass. Had a 29er with your tire width and added weight and spool up was noticeable. Once up to speed however, the thing rocked.

I share your line between too rough and smooth dirt for a drop bar. But being even a bit older, even on the dirt with advancing years, I prefer a flat bar and tires around your size. Rougher track and a front shock comes in handy which can be locked out on smoother stuff. Love the versatility of that kind of bike however...being able to run 700c and shorter, lighter and skinner rubber if spending more time on tarmac. I also like 1x driveline provided not too much climbing...love the simplicity of only shifting only 1 derailleur.
    Ride safe and thanks for sharing your cool bike. Disc is the only way to fly when tire/rim width increases and spending more time off the smooth stuff.
    Thanks! I found the same thing on my hardtail. I “graveled” my 29er hardtail for a long time, with 45mm tires, then trail demoing the 3T on a long ride, before pulling the trigger on the 3T. On mixed surface rides over say 50 miles or so I’m more comfortable with drop bars give several hand positions and bike geo. Considered 140mm rotors but decided 160mm was the way to go. Glad I did, this bike is capable of speeds that can scare me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Lucky I suppose to have made it this far. Will try and thanks for the words of encouragement!
    I guess I have never wanted the party to end. I never liked work and was always sneaking out the back door to be outside and play. This in spite of my training but could never be as serious as others and keep my nose to the grindstone...lol.
    Life's short and older you get seems to go faster. Less sand in the hour glass.
    Play hard and ride safe.
    dude, I know a few guys like you around here (Socal), hmm actually a lot of older cyclists around here are like you, they enjoy life and don't worry about work much. Most have kids that are all grown up, houses probably paid off, and now it's their time to take it easy. These are the ones that will not hesitate buying an expensive bike on a whim, ride to coffee shops and sit there all day, or ride a century weekly. Guys in my age group don't have these sort of hours to play. Every time I wanna do a 100 miler, they be like "nope can't do, gotta be home by 11 am",, blah blah always gotta be home this gotta be home that!

flinty-eyed moderator
    dude, I know a few guys like you around here (Socal), hmm actually a lot of older cyclists around here are like you, they enjoy life and don't worry about work much. Most have kids that are all grown up, houses probably paid off, and now it's their time to take it easy. These are the ones that will not hesitate buying an expensive bike on a whim, ride to coffee shops and sit there all day
    Damn that sounds awesome. . .
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    Damn that sounds awesome. . .
    oh it is, I'd pass them in the morning on my rides, 2 hours later when I'm on my way back, I still see some of them sitting there, waving at me. I wave back and holla at them "hey you guys still here!" and we laugh out loud together like if we know each other from college,,, but when in fact we don't even know each other's name, but isn't that cool part of life?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    oh it is, I'd pass them in the morning on my rides, 2 hours later when I'm on my way back, I still see some of them sitting there, waving at me.
    You never know, they may have finished another ride (even passed you both ways) and came back for second break... Name:  Emoticon-Think.gif
Views: 208
Size:  2.2 KB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    You never know, they may have finished another ride (even passed you both ways) and came back for second break... Name:  Emoticon-Think.gif
Views: 208
Size:  2.2 KB
    I never sit around at coffee houses...I don't like sitting around even though I have the time. I do like taking a hot, fit young lady cyclist to outside café breakfast ride however.

RoadBikeReview Member
    dude, I know a few guys like you around here (Socal), hmm actually a lot of older cyclists around here are like you, they enjoy life and don't worry about work much. Most have kids that are all grown up, houses probably paid off, and now it's their time to take it easy. These are the ones that will not hesitate buying an expensive bike on a whim, ride to coffee shops and sit there all day, or ride a century weekly. Guys in my age group don't have these sort of hours to play. Every time I wanna do a 100 miler, they be like "nope can't do, gotta be home by 11 am",, blah blah always gotta be home this gotta be home that!
    In bold, you will brother. Enjoy your youth and I am sure you are. No replacement for the body feeling so good like when you are young. I always looked young for my age and never wanted to grow up or be responsible..lol. Grown ups suck as most that like to play know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I never sit around at coffee houses...I don't like sitting around even though I have the time. I do like taking a hot, fit young lady cyclist to outside café breakfast ride however.
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Somewhat back on topic Sagan was on a rim roubaix for stage 9.

Back off topic I'm always impressed by how some of these 60+ year old guys ride. One of my goals is to still be riding that well at that age.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    Somewhat back on topic Sagan was on a rim roubaix for stage 9.

Back off topic I'm always impressed by how some of these 60+ year old guys ride. One of my goals is to still be riding that well at that age.
    Tao,
    Thanks for that..was going to ask you. Because the Roubaix stage was combination of cobbles and smooth tarmac...gosh some of those cobbled sections were rough. GC guys did surprisingly well keeping up. There is only one section of road I used to ride on my Specialized Roubaix that I would occasionally blast at 25mph or so with strong riders and it was 'brutal'. Only a short section...not all those kilos. The guys in that race are a special stock. Very tough guys.

I thought Sagan maybe on his rim brake Tarmac but no he defaulted all the way to his Roubaix for that stage. I figured he would ditch the Venge for that brutal stage which was apparently the case. Thanks for update and btw all your contributions to this thread.

A word to 30-40 somethings on this forum that love to ride hard and hold onto your youth. I was just like you. Time goes by as fast as you ride. My advice is guard your health and watch your weight by disciplined eating and exercise and enjoy the long ride. A guy in his 60's can still keep up with younger riders 'to a degree'. A guy like me can drop untrained younger riders. I have only medium good genes for cycling. Was never a top rider.

A quick story. A bit over a year ago I met a young college swimmer. We met at the pool and he noticed right away I was a good swimmer and likely a competitive swimmer in my prime. Immediately we became friends and he ended up teaching me some the latest swimming techniques...adding further refinement to my form after decades of swimming. This of course astounded me because I taught swimming and thought I knew more about it than any 'kid'. We also competed and it wasn't close. He beat me more under the water than on top of it with his dolphin kicks off the wall, him being more of a pure butterflier than me. We could make races but only with a good handicap. He told me that he and myself were closer in speed than him compared to the best swimmers in the world which was a compliment because this college swimmer was so incredibly fast in the water.

Cycling came up. I told him I likely could beat him on a bike and he somewhat scoffed at me because he grew up riding BMX and he had such an advantage in the pool. I set up one of my road bikes to his size and off we went with a lot of interested spectators...fellow riders and swimmers. It wasn't close. He was untrained on the bike and when he tried to attack me on a 30 mile ride, I would just draft him as he went anaerobic around 25mph or so, I jumped out of saddle out of the draft as he gassed and dropped him. When he saw how much more speed I had, he somewhat gave up. I had better cardio than this kid with all his training in the pool...specific to cycling. Of course I had better technique, better position on the bike etc. There was bigger difference on the bike than in the pool in my favor. I could drop him easily. I have raced many twenty somethings that didn't have nearly the same experience as me on the bike and I could drop most easily.

Take away is, to me the fountain of youth is cycling. But along the way, you need to keep a fit, strong light body. This isn't hard with discipline. So keep fighting the good fight, lining up with fast guys to push you. You can hold onto your power. Yes there a few strong riders in my town that can drop me and maybe even one or two ex racers my age...or close. But speed on the bike doesn't necessarily correlate to age. At the elite level, age matters of course. You won't see any 45 y.o.'s in the TdF.

Ride safe you guys.
    Last edited by 11spd; 4 Days Ago at 07:54 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Tao,
    Thanks for that..was going to ask you. Because the Roubaix stage was combination of cobbles and smooth tarmac...gosh some of those cobbled sections were rough. GC guys did surprisingly well keeping up. There is only one section of road I used to ride on my Specialized Roubaix that I would occasionally blast at 25mph or so with strong riders and it was 'brutal'. Only a short section...not all those kilos. The guys in that race are a special stock. Very tough guys.

I thought Sagan maybe on his rim brake Tarmac but no he defaulted all the way to his Roubaix for that stage. I figured he would ditch the Venge for that brutal stage which was apparently the case. Thanks for update and btw all your contributions to this thread.

A word to 30-40 somethings on this forum that love to ride hard and hold onto your youth. I was just like you. Time goes by as fast as you ride. My advice is guard your health and watch your weight by disciplined eating and exercise and enjoy the long ride. A guy in his 60's can still keep up with younger riders 'to a degree'. A guy like me can drop untrained younger riders. I have only medium good genes for cycling. Was never a top rider.

A quick story. A bit over a year ago I met a young college swimmer. We met at the pool and he noticed right away I was a good swimmer and likely a competitive swimmer in my prime. Immediately we became friends and he ended up teaching me some the latest swimming techniques...adding further refinement to my form after decades of swimming. This of course astounded me because I taught swimming and thought I knew more about it than any 'kid'. We also competed and it wasn't close. He beat me more under the water than on top of it with his dolphin kicks off the wall, him being more of a pure butterflier than me. We could make races but only with a good handicap. He told me that he and myself were closer in speed than him compared to the best swimmers in the world which was a compliment because this college swimmer was so incredibly fast in the water.

Cycling came up. I told him I likely could beat him on a bike and he somewhat scoffed at me because he grew up riding BMX and he had such an advantage in the pool. I set up one of my road bikes to his size and off we went with a lot of interested spectators...fellow riders and swimmers. It wasn't close. He was untrained on the bike and when he tried to attack me on a 30 mile ride, I would just draft him as he went anaerobic around 25mph or so, I jumped out of saddle out of the draft as he gassed and dropped him. When he saw how much more speed I had, he somewhat gave up. I had better cardio than this kid with all his training in the pool...specific to cycling. Of course I had better technique, better position on the bike etc. There was bigger difference on the bike than in the pool in my favor. I could drop him easily. I have raced many twenty somethings that didn't have nearly the same experience as me on the bike and I could drop most easily.

Take away is, to me the fountain of youth is cycling. But along the way, you need to keep a fit, strong light body. This isn't hard with discipline. So keep fighting the good fight, lining up with fast guys to push you. You can hold onto your power. Yes there a few strong riders in my town that can drop me and maybe even one or two ex racers my age...or close. But speed on the bike doesn't necessarily correlate to age. At the elite level, age matters of course. You won't see any 45 y.o.'s in the TdF.

Ride safe you guys.
    you one of these old dudes that subtly sneak up the back wheel of a young guy and stalk him to see what he's got in those legs and plan your attack???

RoadBikeReview Member
    you one of these old dudes that subtly sneak up the back wheel of a young guy and stalk him to see what he's got in those legs and plan your attack???
    First, I don't look old. I have good genes for aging. I don't have gray hair. I am narrow waisted. I do 2 minute planks daily
    Also, not the stalker type. I am more overt. I pull up to the young guy riding in full kit with $2K carbon wheels and start a conversation while half wheeling him and looking back and giving him 'the look' (Lance). I keep talking to him as I ride faster and faster. As he tries to keep up, I notice his more labored breathing and difficult time keeping pace. Eventually, I may notice the rider emitting a body part like a pancreas or a spleen....but generally only in extreme cases.
    Last edited by 11spd; 4 Days Ago at 08:40 AM.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast