Page 1 of 19 123 ... LastLast
    banned
    Sep 2015

Where are all the disc brake bikes in the TdF?

Figured this subject would whip the hopeless liberal disc brake lovers into a small frenzy.

Where's the beef? I admit surprise. With all the talk of disc brakes taking the tour by storm, watching Stage 1 in the famous race, what would you say the ratio of rim brake to disc to be? Probably 5 rim brake bikes to 1 disc. Anybody have a source for stats on disc brake usage in the peloton?

Seemed as though we were heading for 50/50 rim/disc population by all the conversation and big bike brands pushing disc brakes at every bike shop but oh no. Pro teams and riders still vote with what they prefer vastly, rim brake race bikes. Rim brakes are still the rule and disc brakes the exception.

Ok, discuss.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Some of us are recording it to watch later, Einstein.

Thanks for the spoiler.

PS. wrong forum A$$h@T
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

banned
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    Some of us are recording it to watch later, Einstein.

Thanks for the spoiler.

PS. wrong forum A$$h@T
    Hey clueless, I said nothing of any result of the stage. If it were just you, I would because you are such a sweetheart.

Because you may handle menial jobs well...that isn't even a certainty, I will put you in charge of freeze framing coverage and counting the number of disc versus rim brake bikes and reporting back...lol.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Hey clueless, I said nothing of any result of the stage. If it were just you, I would because you are such a sweetheart.
    Stick to drafting a thesis about the intricacies of handlebars.
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

banned
    Sep 2015
    You got it backwards. You are my puppet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    Harley?? wtf mate, I'm sick...I'm fat.... it's like, I caab the **** up mate, but I faint before I even got in the caabs mate! I need more sproite when I boike!

Adorable Furry Hombre
    The UCI didn't give them a free pass on Salbutamol overdose.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Russian Troll Farmer
    Once again, disc brakes really don't make a lot of sense in the upper echelon of cycle racing. You and I would probably love to have discs on those long, fast mountain descents, but the pros almost never hit their brakes. 60mph around a tight turn? Yes, if that's what they need to stay ahead of the competition.

Last year, there were a few sprinters using discs, but I assume that was more for advertising visibility.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh no, not again.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    ya tbh i'm not a fan of disc brakes, mostly from an aesthetics point of view and I think that my 105 brakes are more than good enough. It's tough looking for my new bike since it seems almost all endurance geometry bikes are going disc these days.

banned
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Once again, disc brakes really don't make a lot of sense in the upper echelon of cycle racing. You and I would probably love to have discs on those long, fast mountain descents, but the pros almost never hit their brakes. 60mph around a tight turn? Yes, if that's what they need to stay ahead of the competition.

Last year, there were a few sprinters using discs, but I assume that was more for advertising visibility.
    The rub is forgive the pun...lets say disc versus rim is a 'push'. One would think marketing would mandate the pros to ride disc brakes to brainwash the public into buying them. Yes, we agree in the mountains you and I want disc brakes. Pretty clear though watching Stage 1 the pros don't want them. What is remarkable is...the pros aren't on them in spite of not wanting them...because they are paid by teams. At this point in time, even more of an indictment the pros want rim brakes or the entire peloton would be on disc based upon higher profit for bike brands. Race on Sunday, buy on Monday as the marketing slogan goes.
    Last edited by 11spd; 07-07-2018 at 02:13 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Oh no, not again.
    This disc thread is going be different; this time we we resolve it once and for all

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Oh no, not again.
    And some people wonder who/what/when/where and why so many of the former regulars fled this place, right?

Nothing has changed (back) for the better, I see, so I'll be moving along again.

Best to those who remain to endure and suffer the diarrhea-like drivel spewed.

Keep it upright.
    “When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking.” ― Arthur Conan Doyle

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by askmass View Post
    And some people wonder who/what/when/where and why so many of the former regulars fled this place, right?

Nothing has changed (back) for the better, I see, so I'll be moving along again.

Best to the majority of you, keep it upright.
    Forum spammers essentially shut this place down....and that was after years of admin indifference to user-wants: for example that massive column of useless forum bloat to the right that does nothing for anyone than slow down page loding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm certain he has a world of experience with drafting.
    “When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking.” ― Arthur Conan Doyle

banned
    Sep 2015
    Detractors of this thread are too ignorant to comprehend the nuance of why this is worth discussing. 2018 was the year of the disc. Most of the super bikes are now sold with disc. The TdF is the market child of all that is carbon and expensive which translates to profit for bike brands. Very few disc brake bikes in the peloton. Belies reason. Bike brands pay the riders to ride. Their bread is buttered by hydraulic disc brakes.

Perhaps you guys don't follow the sport very closely. The TdF this season was supposed to be the coming out party for disc brakes so bike brands could celebrate the windfall. Didn't happen. UCI weight limit isn't the impediment. Disc brake bikes can come in at 15 lbs. Surprising really.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Detractors of this thread are too ignorant to comprehend the nuance of why this is worth discussing. 2018 was the year of the disc. Most of the super bikes are now sold with disc. The TdF is the market child of all that is carbon and expensive which translates to profit for bike brands. Very few disc brake bikes in the peloton. Belies reason. Bike brands pay the riders to ride. Their bread is buttered by hydraulic disc brakes.

Perhaps you guys don't follow the sport very closely. The TdF this season was supposed to be the coming out party for disc brakes so bike brands could celebrate the windfall. Didn't happen. UCI weight limit isn't the impediment. Disc brake bikes can come in at 15 lbs. Surprising really.
    Hopefully Gravel bikes pulled them through the Fiscal year.

derp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by askmass View Post
    I'm certain he has a world of experience with drafting.
    He sure doesn't pull much, always riding our coattails.

banned
    Sep 2015

Cool

Hopefully Gravel bikes pulled them through the Fiscal year.

derp
    Nope. Not gravel bikes. Only hillbillies ride gravel and most of them don't have much money.

Large bike brands have made their bread on all the carbon rim brake bikes they have sold with Di2 because Di2 doesn't slow you down...which includes pro bikes in this year's TdF. Good amateurs as well who see through the hype. Real men are all on rim brakes.
    PS: if you guys don't want to have a substantive discussion, I can bend the arc of the narrative because I am just that good.

Adorable Furry Hombre

I've known terriers less persistent, and broken record players less broken.

banned
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I've known terriers less persistent, and broken record players less broken.
    I have known posters...not all, who only troll because they completely lack critical thought.

Because nobody has a good response, I will craft one for you.

"11spd you make a great point. Here-to-fore there were many headwinds to adopting disc brakes in pro racing. But no longer. With major bike brands promoting disc brakes, independent of the efficacy of discs, even if no value added, one would think they would be all over team sponsored pro racing, but they aren't. Only plausible reason is either the team...perhaps logistics of wheel changes and/or pro riders don't believe they are as competitive on disc brake bikes. Evidence is overwhelming. Path is clear for disc brakes but pros aren't signing up perhaps 'in spite of major manufacturers wanting to sell them'. I admit surprise like you. I would have thought minimum 50% of the peloton would be on disc brake bikes this year and yet only a fraction are on them. Some are so on the fence about them, I even witnessed team sponsored bikes with 1 rim brake and 1 disc. That is really splitting the baby."
    Last edited by 11spd; 07-07-2018 at 04:01 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I have known posters...not all, who only troll because they completely lack critical thought.

Because nobody has a good response, I will craft one for you.

"11spd you make a great point. Here-to-fore there were many headwinds to adopting disc brakes in pro racing. But no longer. With major bike brands promoting disc brakes, independent of the efficacy of discs, even if no value added, one would think they would be all over team sponsored pro racing, but they aren't. Only plausible reason is either the team...perhaps logistics of wheel changes and/or pro riders don't believe they are as competitive on disc brake bikes. Evidence is overwhelming. Path is clear for disc brakes but pros aren't signing up perhaps 'in spite of major manufacturers wanting to sell them'. I admit surprise like you. I would have thought minimum 50% of the peloton would be on disc brake bikes this year and yet only a fraction are one them"
    Good reply but we went full circle and ad nauseum with this discussion two years ago when Disc Brakes were gonna be the greatest thing since Yoga Pants.

banned
    Sep 2015
    Good reply but we went full circle and ad nauseum with this discussion two years ago when Disc Brakes were gonna be the greatest thing since Yoga Pants.
    Point is ff, the goalposts have moved. Disc brakes were projected to be all over the peloton in this year's TdF. Even if they aren't perceived to be an advantage, by virtue of pure promotion they were expected. Hasn't turned out that way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am consistently baffled by how much people care about this particular discussion. Disc's work, rim brakes work, pick whichever you prefer and be done with it.

It feels like everyone with a impassioned opinion either way is just trying to justify the decision they made to disc or not to disc.

Please let this die.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nope. Not gravel bikes. Only hillbillies ride gravel and most of them don't have much money.
    This is the most entertaining thing I've read on the interwebs in a long time. Thank you, it made my day.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to 11spd again.
    Too old to ride plastic

Page 1 of 19 123 ... LastLast