RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014

Where bikes go to die - Rideshare companies go out of business

Apparently a bicycle ridesharing company (Chinese based, no this is not about politics) pulled out of Dallas after they changed the rules. Nothing wrong with that to be honest if it makes a good business decision, however, it is how they disposed of the bikes that bothers me.

Through my company, we do a company wide impact day (I like to call it company mandated community service). Typically I volunteer for the Qhubeka (https://qhubeka.org/) bike ride, a charity event where we raise money for bikes for kids in Africa. So to see this giant mountain of bikes being recycled bugs the crap out of me. Yes they donated some, but I still see a lot of bikes that could be fixed up. They should have donated them to bike shops willing fix them up. I realize there are some logistics involved, like removed electronics, or other possible intellectual property, and stuff not needed for just giving them away, but still, such a waste.

https://jalopnik.com/mountain-of-rid...g-c-1828156808

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    yeah that's a little messed up, but I think we're only hearing one side of the story.
    It could be that Ofo doesn't want to be legally liable for a bikes that are not 100% functional, and god knows the US is the most litigious nation on earth. But from a business point of view, if the city changed its business rules, then it's only fair if the other side respond. Dallas was just wanting a bigger piece of the revenue I guess

at least those bikes are metal and not carbon fiber. Can't recycle carbon fiber at all.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    DC is just inundated with bike share bikes. For several years there's been the Capitol Area Bike Share -- a system that utilizes docks located all over the city. Last year, several dockless companies showed up -- you just find the bike, ride it wherever you want to go and then leave it, so there's no searching for a dock. Ofo was one of the outfits. They left because they claimed the DC government limited them to a set number of bikes -- I guess they wanted more.

Now there's dockless electric skate boards and I'm beginning to see some electric bikes as well. The Capitol Bike Share bikes remain the most heavily used.

a real member's member
    it's a throwaway society.

Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I asked a Sizzler restaurant what happens to all the fruits at the end of the day, the manager told me they throw them away. I asked if I could have them because I'm a vegan and love fruit, and the answer was no due to possible litigation.

Same thing happened to me when I asked a gas station owner if I could take the bananas off his hands that he can't sell, he said no too due to litigation.

Meanwhile, there are places around the globe that children go digging the trash dump for food.

Proud luddite
    What makes this even sadder is that in all likelihood, the recycling plant will just end up throwing those bikes away. I've seen stories about the recycling places, where they won't bother to recycle an item if it's going to take them time to dismantle it and prepare it for the recycling process. I doubt they are going to go through the hassle of taking each of those bikes apart, sort the materials, and then recycle the parts. It's a damn shame, and so wasteful.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    What makes this even sadder is that in all likelihood, the recycling plant will just end up throwing those bikes away. I've seen stories about the recycling places, where they won't bother to recycle an item if it's going to take them time to dismantle it and prepare it for the recycling process. I doubt they are going to go through the hassle of taking each of those bikes apart, sort the materials, and then recycle the parts. It's a damn shame, and so wasteful.
    Bicycles fit in those shredders just fine. No dismantling required.

Somewhere, maybe here, someone posted pictures of piles of these bicycles in China. As in piles the size of a football field. I guess they're not catching on as fast as anticipated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Bicycles fit in those shredders just fine. No dismantling required.

Somewhere, maybe here, someone posted pictures of piles of these bicycles in China. As in piles the size of a football field. I guess they're not catching on as fast as anticipated.
    I've seen that as well, seems like such a waste.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Seattle city council just passed legislation that forces the dockless rideshare companies to pay a $250,000 fee annually for the right to operate in city limits.

Ofo pulled out the same day as the legislation passed. Lime Bike and Spin are still here - although who knows for how long.

One of the major problems the company faces is loss to vandalism, and presumably lawsuits related to it. Many of the bikes have had their brakes and/or shift cables cut. Some have been thrown into local lakes and streams, and even the Puget Sound.

Someone has to clean up the mess.

The bikes are cheaper to replace than repair.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Well, they could donate them to a local bike donation place...

In my city, we have an official bike share company, and they charge something like $2/hour. In the next city over, the bike share company doesn't get any government support, and they charge $10/hour (and don't get used much...).
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    the numbers involved in scrapped bikes is TRULY a drop of water in the ocean compared to everything else in society.

the dockless bikes arrived here last Oct. Seems like they're a hit. I rented one once, and it was sort of more solid than a dept-store bike, but way slower than any bike Ive ridden in 45 years. good for 'last mile' rides as intended I guess. I find they add some cheer to the city.

There has been a fair amt of vandalism of the bikes here too. but they're cheap enough to maintain and replace I guess. Hope they are here for the long term because it is the best concept for bike sharing ever. Docked bikes and shop-rental bikes (i mean for casual tourist cruising and last mile use) are a fundamentally awful idea imho.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    Seattle city council just passed legislation that forces the dockless rideshare companies to pay a $250,000 fee annually for the right to operate in city limits. Ofo pulled out the same day as the legislation passed.
    good.

Lime Bike and Spin are still here.
    rats. i find them to be a scourge. they're hideous, and left all over the place, often laying down. one was blocking the entrance to the bg trail the other day, forcing me to dismount.

and my craigs biz has dried up, possibly due to them, dunno. but they're not improving my quality of life any. i'd happily welcome back the docked rentals.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I find cars and tucks the real scourge. They're everywhere. gobbling up demented amounts of real estate. Acutally putitng lives at great risk and killing thousands every year. I mean people just park them ANYWHERE, along the streets, in driveways ugh. it's an outrage,and so many are poorly maintained or old, jamming up traffic making people fat and angry.

meanwhile share bikes .. bright and friendly, inexpensive, and accessible. I love em. Folks just need to get used to seeing them.

My sister visited us for a few weeks this summer. She became a power user of the bikes (U-bike is the company here), worked out fantastic for her. a couple bucks a day getting around the city, visiting dad in hospital (no parking fee!), out to various outdoor music fests and events, rode with us a bit on the MUT. an even better idea than Uber which we also need here desperately.

was just watching the local news right now. UBike has gathered a dozen of their damaged bikes, repaired them and donated them to a local low income housing initiative for use by the residents. nicely done
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 08-07-2018 at 07:11 PM.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Where can I get some of those BASF airless tires Ofo uses?

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    Where can I get some of those BASF airless tires Ofo uses?
    Why on earth would you want them????
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Why on earth would you want them????
    Goatheads would be one reason.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "