Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who Patches

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    another ******* flat today! ****! that's two ******* flats in three ******* days. ****!

fortunately, today's came a block from home on my return ride. it was a huge bent nail. probably the largest wood nail they sell. unfortunately, i didn't see the damn thing until i plowed over it.
    Oh man, you've got a string of sh!+ luck. Such size nail would be hard to penetrate through the tire even if bent because it's so big. What were you doing or how fast were you going?

RoadBikeReview Member
    another ******* flat today! ****! that's two ******* flats in three ******* days. ****!

fortunately, today's came a block from home on my return ride. it was a huge bent nail. probably the largest wood nail they sell. unfortunately, i didn't see the damn thing until i plowed over it.

the tube required two patches, 'cause the nail kept right on going through to the rim. fortunately, no rim damage, but it left a little hole in the rim tape. tire seems good too. we'll see. ****!
    I've had a string of flats lately too, like 3 in 2 weeks, which for me is panic time, lol. think I had 1 last year in 4500kms.

we ought to consider going tubeless. My wife has not had a flat since switching to tubeless, and a nail won't flat our tires if they're tubeless. Nevermind that the setup of road bike tubeless can be real p i t a.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Such size nail would be hard to penetrate through the tire even if bent because it's so big. What were you doing or how fast were you going?
    i know! it looked especially huge in a 23mm rear tire.

i live at the bottom of a steep block and had a load of groceries in the panier, so i was slowing way down and shifting to the small ring, when ... "crunch, psssssssssst." "wha?? no!"

Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    panic time, lol.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Going through "flat spurts" over your riding career can be frustrating. Hell, what am I talking about, we all know when one of those periods hits we're even dreading things the moment we throw our leg over the bike and head out of the driveway.

This is true no matter how meticulous we are/were, new tubes, new tires, new rim strips, all checked innumerable times.

....and then you're out riding, avoiding everything in sight, maybe even riding a few inches farther in the road than you'd like, telling yourself the tires of all those cars have cleaned that area, you'll be safer....you're riding some more.....finally a smile crosses your face and you think you're.........NOOOOO,,,,,pfffffffffft the sound goes, and first the anger overcomes you as you frantically search for some place to change your tire, where you can plant your butt without dirtying or ripping your shirts, and where some lunatic in a car won't swerve off and splat you dead.

As you sit there changing the flat, your anger dissipates into a mysterious wonder of the universe, and you begin to ask yourself, "am I cursed....", or am I being payed back for some indiscretion I've done in my life.....the tube is in, you begin to pump....and all of sudden you're overcome with melancholy as you utter some unspoken trance of "please, please don't flat as you re-inflate, my sweet, sweet darling tube...."

You re-mount the stead, look around, hope no one saw you acting and mounting like some ginger tiger, and you pedal away, and the circle of life begins all over again as you try to ride some more........

I imagine some even erect a shrine to the "Flats God", offering thanks & salutations before even leaving the house, lighting a candle even, to burn while you ride and thus you will be protected.

Who knows?

Because when the Flat God says she has come back to visit you, there isn't any thing on this Earth you can do to stop her.

P.S. BCSaltChuker, I am curious...what do you mean a "nail" into & thru the tire will "not" cause you to flat if you're running tubeless?? So if you're running or ride tubeless, nothing that penetrates through the tire will flat it. I am confused???

RoadBikeReview Member

the tube required two patches, 'cause the nail kept right on going through to the rim. fortunately, no rim damage, but it left a little hole in the rim tape. tire seems good too. we'll see. ****!
    Something like this one?

Who Patches-img_1690.jpg
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Something like this one?
    Looks like Photoshop job to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Looks like Photoshop job to me.
    It's not, I have a pile of those in the garage. They were used on the job to interlace large timbers. The wood had to be pre drilled before driving the nails. I brought a bunch home just in case I needed them.
    Too old to ride plastic

a real member's member
    Something like this one?
    well, it was normal length, but, yeah.

the tire looks to be ok. it was actually hard to find the hole in the tread after i repaired the tube and inflated it. i put a little rubber cement in there. maybe that'll do some good.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelgianHammer View Post
    P.S. BCSaltChuker, I am curious...what do you mean a "nail" into & thru the tire will "not" cause you to flat if you're running tubeless?? So if you're running or ride tubeless, nothing that penetrates through the tire will flat it. I am confused???
    check the youtube videos, dude!

tubeless can mean you get penetration by a dozen, heck a hundred nails and the tube might not even lose much pressure let alone become unrevivable flat tire. It is quite amazing actually. However tubeless on the road comes with the cost of some difficulty setting up - not to be underestimated in my experience! For MTB I find the set up much easier, and sometimes I come home from a ride in AZ with several cactus thorns in my tires and no change in pressure

2nd half of the video demonstrates this @ 8 minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALVtgcY1YeM

and with MTB its even more amazingly protective (plus adds several other advantages)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfB48cOHREo&t=515s

but as I said the difficulty in setting up road tubeless has me hesitant to switch my own bike over. My wife has been on tubeless on her bike all this year, with the only cost being her tires need to be re-inflated more often than mine. Perhaps this newer proprietary tubeless system by Mavic can deliver a better setup process? then again, it's Mavic lol, and I do not trust their freehubs
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 08-08-2018 at 12:20 PM.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    The first time that happened to me I nearly had to go inside and change my drawers. I had it happen again on a bike trailer a couple years later while the bike was sitting in the driveway at a friends house. The trailer had cheap plastic wheels and part of the bead area let loose. The friend thought somebody had been shot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    It's not, I have a pile of those in the garage. They were used on the job to interlace large timbers. The wood had to be pre drilled before driving the nails. I brought a bunch home just in case I needed them.
    My next guess was a nail from railroad construction job.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123