Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 43 of 43
  1. #26
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,767
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    aluminum does undergo oxidation, not to the same degree as iron, but it does rust
    But not to any degree that would matter for the case being discussed.

  2. #27
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,577
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    But not to any degree that would matter for the case being discussed.
    my mtb wheels got pretty much all their nipples corroded after 3 years, so are spoke holes on the rims

  3. #28
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,767
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    my mtb wheels got pretty much all their nipples corroded after 3 years, so are spoke holes on the rims
    Interesting, I wouldn't have expected that.

  4. #29
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,744
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Interesting, I wouldn't have expected that.
    Yeah, me neither.
    Too old to ride plastic

  5. #30
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,767
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Yeah, me neither.
    Kinda makes me wonder if the corrosion wasn't from the threaded part of the spokes. Or, maybe more likely, accumulation of salts precipitating from whatever water was involved.

    Was the corrosion accompanied with a light colored powdery substance?

    I actually thought aluminum oxidation occurs very quickly but is limited to a very thin discolored rind that protects the metal from farther and deeper oxidation.

    Edit to add: Yep. Aluminum oxide, Al2O3, forms a stable passive layer that protects aluminum from corrosion or further oxidation. This layer is about 4 nm thick and will provide corrosion protection as long as this oxide layer is stable.

    The Oxidation of Aluminum – Corrosion Pro Articles
    Last edited by dir-t; 02-07-2018 at 01:46 PM.

  6. #31
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,947
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    aluminum does undergo oxidation, not to the same degree as iron, but it does rust
    Absolutely. And aluminum nipples can corrode and snap.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  7. #32
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Absolutely. And aluminum nipples can corrode and snap.
    Read my post and link above. I suspect it's something other than aluminum corrosion causing ACL's problem but that doesn't help the OP any.

  8. #33
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,947
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Read my post and link above. I suspect it's something other than aluminum corrosion causing ACL's problem but that doesn't help the OP any.
    ACL's problem is definitely caused by aluminum corrosion. And there is a very simple solution: BRASS NIPPLES.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  9. #34
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,577
    my nipples got corroded. I pretty found out after 3 years when I needed to have the wheels true. That was when the mech told me all my nipples were corroded and he could not true the wheels unless all the nipples were replaced. There was probably aluminum corrosion and some other sh8t too. Bottomline, my wheels were ruined after 3 years of riding in the wet, wasn't a happy camper. Surprised me the heck outta me too since I never thought aluminum would corrode this fast.

  10. #35
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,744
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Kinda makes me wonder if the corrosion wasn't from the threaded part of the spokes. Or, maybe more likely, accumulation of salts precipitating from whatever water was involved.

    Was the corrosion accompanied with a light colored powdery substance?

    I actually thought aluminum oxidation occurs very quickly but is limited to a very thin discolored rind that protects the metal from farther and deeper oxidation.

    Edit to add: Yep. Aluminum oxide, Al2O3, forms a stable passive layer that protects aluminum from corrosion or further oxidation. This layer is about 4 nm thick and will provide corrosion protection as long as this oxide layer is stable.

    The Oxidation of Aluminum – Corrosion Pro Articles
    It's my understanding that aluminum oxidation and anodized aluminum basically serve the same function.
    Too old to ride plastic

  11. #36
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,577
    speaking of aluminum corrosion. My Dura ace wheelset also got their spoke bed all corroded when I used Stan's sealant. This was a widely known issue with Stan's. The corrosion is really bad too. Stan's has since changed their formula. I'm not sure if the corrosion caused by Stan's is the same type of corrosion caused by water, but Stan's was definitely causing damage to the rim. I still have these wheels to show.

  12. #37
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,947
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    speaking of aluminum corrosion. My Dura ace wheelset also got their spoke bed all corroded when I used Stan's sealant. This was a widely known issue with Stan's. The corrosion is really bad too. Stan's has since changed their formula. I'm not sure if the corrosion caused by Stan's is the same type of corrosion caused by water, but Stan's was definitely causing damage to the rim. I still have these wheels to show.
    If Stan's sealant is water based, then sure it could be the same type of corrosion.

    Brass nipples, my friend!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  13. #38
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,577
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    If Stan's sealant is water based, then sure it could be the same type of corrosion.

    Brass nipples, my friend!
    I don't think most off the shelf wheels use brass nipples do they? Don't brass nipples cost more than aluminum? and heavier?

  14. #39
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,947
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    I don't think most off the shelf wheels use brass nipples do they? Don't brass nipples cost more than aluminum? and heavier?
    Heavier? A very minuscule amount (28g on a 32 spoke wheel - whoooopie!).

    Cost more? No, brass costs less!

    Not sure which off the shelf wheels have which type of nipples. My guess is lower end wheels use brass for cost savings and higher end wheels use aluminum for weight savings because higher end wheels need to be able to claim the lowest weight possible in order to fetch the big $$$.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  15. #40
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,577
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Heavier? A very minuscule amount (28g on a 32 spoke wheel - whoooopie!).

    Cost more? No, brass costs less!

    Not sure which off the shelf wheels have which type of nipples. My guess is lower end wheels use brass for cost savings and higher end wheels use aluminum for weight savings because higher end wheels need to be able to claim the lowest weight possible in order to fetch the big $$$.
    so that's what's up! Hmm I never new that nipples come in alu an brass. I thought nipples are just nipples!

  16. #41
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,947
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    so that's what's up! Hmm I never new that nipples come in alu an brass. I thought nipples are just nipples!
    Nope. Nipples are NOT just nipples:

    DT Swiss Nipples - Wheelbuilder.com
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  17. #42
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Nope. Nipples are NOT just nipples:

    DT Swiss Nipples - Wheelbuilder.com
    Yeah, not being that concerned about weight I wouldn't even consider aluminum nipples.
    Too old to ride plastic

  18. #43
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,947
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Yeah, not being that concerned about weight I wouldn't even consider aluminum nipples.
    Same here. I am mostly concerned with longevity and being trouble free. I always use brass nips.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-05-2008, 06:21 AM
  2. Why, WHY must the water bottles fly?
    By litespeedchick in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 05-19-2008, 05:11 PM
  3. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-30-2008, 09:01 PM
  4. Drinking Water or WASTE WATER?
    By MarkS in forum Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 06:14 AM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-08-2006, 02:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.