RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012

Why Hors Category painted on bike

There is a graphic design in my Bianchi bike Hors Category. What I understand HC is a climbing classification that signifies an extremely tough climb.

But why such a permanent design painted onto my bike. Surely it doesn’t mean the bike can climb HC without any effort from the rider right?

Why Hors Category painted on bike-photo-copy.jpg

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    It means above or beyond category. It is of course derived from the TdF nomenclature for climbs, but there is no mountain in the words themselves.
    Great bike, the Oltre. Means above, beyond, past, over. In Italian. So you have a bike named beyond in the beyond category range of Bianchi bikes...

Btw that size sticker that says "please remove" on it must come off.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    It means above or beyond category. It is of course derived from the TdF nomenclature for climbs, but there is no mountain in the words themselves.
    Great bike, the Oltre. Means above, beyond, past, over. In Italian. So you have a bike named beyond in the beyond category range of Bianchi bikes...

Btw that size sticker that says "please remove" on it must come off.
    Tls for explanation.

Abt the frame sticker, I knew you said it with pun intended. But wonder why the manufacturer stated "please remove". What harm it has by not removing? Isn't it serves as evidence of frame size to the next buyer. No, I'm not removing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's a load bearing sticker, don't remove it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by novetan View Post
    Tls for explanation.

And the frame sticker....No, I'm not removing.
    I bet you also leave the Pentium stickers on your computers, and the HD Display! stickers on your TV bezel.

The only sticker that stays on my frame is the shop sticker. I do like knowing the history of a bike, and what shop it was sold out of, just for the nostalgia/history of it. Frame sizings (especially S/M/L) are pretty arbitrary, and can be measured later if needed. Warning stickers also come off.

Fix Altitude in My Tracks
    My young daughter thought it stood for "Holy Crap" [that's a big hill]. That's our running joke now when there's an HC on a stage of something I'm watching.
    Altitude Retriever corrects the altitude in your My Tracks tracks and GPX files. Bummed out by how far off the GPS altitude is on your device? Let the Altitude Retriever fetch for out.
    Get it on Google Play!

RoadBikeReview Member
    If it climbs well, why not?

Also, that's a small bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you View Post
    If it climbs well, why not?

Also, that's a small bike.
    Maybe it's 47 inches, hence the HC description?
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by novetan View Post
    Tls for explanation.

Abt the frame sticker, I knew you said it with pun intended. But wonder why the manufacturer stated "please remove". What harm it has by not removing? Isn't it serves as evidence of frame size to the next buyer. No, I'm not removing.
    if you OR the 'next buyer' need a sticker to confirm frame size, yeah...you should leave it on.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BikesOfALesserGod View Post
    Maybe it's 47 inches, hence the HC description?
    47 inches would be a VERY large bicycle. Or were you referring to something else being 47 inches?

RoadBikeReview Member
    For a minute I thought that was advertising your dating preference, but I see it's spelled differently.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I'm pretty certain that if you need to ask such a question, you probably have no business riding such a bike.