Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    fu
    Reputation: ph0enix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,230

    Why I love my bike shop (and SRAM)

    The non-drive side crank arm (SRAM Force) on my bike was wobbly so I brought it to the LBS. They did a tune up last month. It turned out that the arm separated from the little metal insert that screws in. The shop called SRAM and they said they would replace the crankset under warranty even though I bought the bike more than two years ago but since they're out of Force, they're going to upgrade me to Red. How nice! I assumed I would be without the bike for a week or so until the new parts come in but they said that they can lend me another crankset until then so in the meantime I'll be using an FSA K-Force Light crank ...at no charge!
    Since 2008 I bought 3 bikes from the shop and they have always taken care of me.

    I feel that they deserve a PLUG:
    High Gear Cyclery
    20 Main St, Millburn, NJ 07041
    973.376.0001

    They also have store in Stirling.
    My other chainring is a 39...
    Strava profile

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation: Sisophous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    702
    A lot of the LBS deliver lousy service. Mine does on the spot fixes and at most you have to wait a couple of hours to get your bike back. If a shop tells you that it will be a week or two before your bike is repaired take your business elsewhere. Walk out and don't go back.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisophous View Post
    A lot of the LBS deliver lousy service. Mine does on the spot fixes and at most you have to wait a couple of hours to get your bike back. If a shop tells you that it will be a week or two before your bike is repaired take your business elsewhere. Walk out and don't go back.
    You might just have an LBS with low volume. I would think repair time would depend on the complexity of the repair, if parts need to be ordered, and how many other bikes are waiting to be fixed.

    Sounds like OP's shop is one of the good ones - and nice of him to post here and spread some love. Too often, the only reviews you hear are from unhappy customers. Good on SRAM for going the extra mile, too.

  4. #4
    fu
    Reputation: ph0enix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisophous View Post
    A lot of the LBS deliver lousy service. Mine does on the spot fixes and at most you have to wait a couple of hours to get your bike back. If a shop tells you that it will be a week or two before your bike is repaired take your business elsewhere. Walk out and don't go back.
    I figured the wait would be due to the fact that SRAM needs to ship the parts which takes 3-4 days according to the shop. They're a pretty busy shop but they still manage to do most fixes on the fly. I think I was there for 1/2hr total (this includes diagnosing the issue, making the call to SRAM, removing the old crank and installing the FSA one). ...but it was on a Thursday (today) during lunch. I'm sure it would have taken longer if I had gone there on a Saturday when it's 70 degrees and sunny outside. On those days the line to the service dept. is usually out the door.
    My other chainring is a 39...
    Strava profile

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation: Sisophous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by ph0enix View Post
    I figured the wait would be due to the fact that SRAM needs to ship the parts which takes 3-4 days according to the shop.
    The shops are very different. My shop is a little hole in the wall in the city and yet they can get me any bike I want, in any size by the next day. I don't know how the manager can do this, but he can. They never told me or any other customer while I was there that they have to order any parts. I have seen many bike shops that are inefficient and show no sense of urgency to return bikes that are in for service. Much of this has to do with the management who are often indifferent about accommodating customers, that is why I say you do not have to put up with their crappy service, and where I come from many of the shops are awful.

  6. #6
    corning my own beef
    Reputation: JustTooBig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisophous View Post
    A lot of the LBS deliver lousy service. Mine does on the spot fixes and at most you have to wait a couple of hours to get your bike back. If a shop tells you that it will be a week or two before your bike is repaired take your business elsewhere. Walk out and don't go back.
    sweeping generalizations made by people who believe their own sweeping generalizations are amusing to me.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

    ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA


    A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

  7. #7
    fu
    Reputation: ph0enix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisophous View Post
    The shops are very different. My shop is a little hole in the wall in the city and yet they can get me any bike I want, in any size by the next day. I don't know how the manager can do this, but he can. They never told me or any other customer while I was there that they have to order any parts. I have seen many bike shops that are inefficient and show no sense of urgency to return bikes that are in for service. Much of this has to do with the management who are often indifferent about accommodating customers, that is why I say you do not have to put up with their crappy service, and where I come from many of the shops are awful.
    Apparently your shop is uber-perfect and mine is just awesome!
    My other chainring is a 39...
    Strava profile

  8. #8
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisophous View Post
    My shop is a little hole in the wall in the city and yet they can get me any bike I want, in any size by the next day.
    Oh yea? What's the shop's name and number? I want to call and see.

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation: Sisophous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Oh yea? What's the shop's name and number? I want to call and see.
    Contact Us

    The Owner is Jimmy, tell him I sent you, my reputation speaks for itself.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisophous View Post
    my reputation speaks for itself
    Might be the most truth I've ever seen in one post

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,430
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisophous View Post
    My shop is a little hole in the wall in the city and yet they can get me any bike I want, in any size by the next day.
    Funny they'd say this on their website then: "The main brands we carry in road bikes are TREK, Cannondale, Specialized, and Bianchi. However we can also get Raleigh, Diamondback and GT (just call with the model you want and we can see if we can get it). Special orders only take a few business days to arrive so you'll have your bike in no time."

    Any....7 brands.....next day.....a few business days. Same difference right?

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation: Sisophous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post

    Any....7 brands.....next day.....a few business days. Same difference right?
    Instead of trying to be argumentative, try calling them if you are serious and tell them what you want. 99% of the time it will be in the store the next day if not the same day. The owner has access to new bikes thoughout New York City, it's a big place.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisophous View Post
    Instead of trying to be argumentative, try calling them if you are serious and tell them what you want. 99% of the time it will be in the store the next day if not the same day. The owner has access to new bikes thoughout New York City, it's a big place.
    Sis, I've been following all of your posts on this forum with great interest in my short tenure here... I still can't figure out if you are for real or the greatest troll evar. Perhaps an AI sent from the future to confound us? C'mon, fess up, I won't tell...

Similar Threads

  1. Chain love sram wireless powermeter
    By Hpag05 in forum Hot Deals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 10:51 AM
  2. Chain love blowout - SRAM Red/Black
    By Bunyan in forum Hot Deals
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-19-2012, 07:39 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-14-2012, 01:16 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 01:14 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-13-2008, 08:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

INTERBIKE

Contest

Hot Deals See All Hot Deals >>

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook